“Very Nice Lodge for Couples”
Review of New England Inn

and 1 more site!
New England Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Intervale
Reviewed 13 August 2008

We stayed at the Lodge (only for couples) and we were more than impressed! The rooms at the lodge do not have #'s but go by names.... we stayed upstairs (only 2 levels) in the room called "Moose Crossing" it was a suite with jacuzzi and fireplace (although it was summer so we did not use the fireplace). The suite was soooo spacious! You walked into living room with sofa and stone fireplace with TV and desk and chair and mini fridge with bar sink and coffee maker...and in corner of this room --near the entrance to the bathroom was the corner 2 person jacuzzi (but you can only use the jacuzzi til' I believe 10pm it stated on the notice on the wall --so as not to disturb the other guests). The bedroom was massive with 2 dressers and TV and door off bedroom led to balcony that you shared with 2 other rooms on that floor (but still quiet and nice).

We ate lunch at Tuckerman's (pub/restaurant--across the street from the Lodge---affiliated with the New England Inn) and were happy with the BBQ chicken pizza and beer (over 20 brews on tap). We also enjoyed the breakfast included with lodging...(although some other reviews spoke negatively about it --so I was worried upon going but our experience was positive). Breakfast included choice of juice with tea/coffee and fruit cup (small ramekin dish with few grapes, slice of strawberry and slice of orange). We had 2 eggs with toast and choice of sausage, or crispy bacon, and the next morning we had the chocolate chip pancakes with bacon (they were very yummy).

The only negative thing about The New England Inn & Lodge is the part whereby they automatically tack on the gratuities (this really left a foul taste with us) as we feel that gratuities (we always tip either 10% for fair service or 15-20% for exceptional service) are something that is left behind for the person doing the service.....so when the Inn bills you automatically 10% for each evening you stay (approx. $19-20/per evening) they don't have to provide great service and who's to say you would tip lets say $10 each day to maid service and $10 to server for breakfast (the approx total for breakfast was $17-18 so a $10 tip is a little outrageous)....AND our next question is who gets this $20 daily gratuity?? The owners of the inn or the employees??? We would love to stay again at the Lodge because it was so relaxing and comfortable but as for the additional charges (which we were informed upon booking) I'm not sure if we will stay again?

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for New England Inn

Reviewed 11 August 2008

Wanted 1 night in a rustic + romantic setting and this place fit the bill nicely! After hiking all day in the white mountains, you want someplace cosy, comfortable and quiet. Add the Hot Tub in the room and you can soothe those tired muscles and have a little romance too!!!!!!! Not certain how old the red cottages are, but they appear to have been recently gutted and completely refurbished. Very nicely done with Hot tub for 2, gas log fireplace, queen bed. You'll sink into the loveseat, (I don't think it's planned, I think it shot). Thank goodness the mattress was nice an firm!)I'm a big fan of the tongue and grooved natural pine of the cabin walls, gives it a nice warm feel. Bathroom was same with roomy step-in shower stall with room for two! Lighting in the room could have been brighter. Front porch with 2 plastic chairs, (Adirondacks would have been a nice touch!), was a great place to sit out on with a drink before dinner and before the skeeters showed up. The grounds of the property (especially the flower garden) were a very pleasant touch too. Chatted it up for a while with the ladies who were taking care of the flower beds. Nice, friendly people. Pooches were cute.
Didn't care much for the 10% gratuity charge that was added to the bill. This is totally inappropriate!!!!!!!! I was made aware of it when I checked them out on the web and when I called and made the reservation, but I still don't like it. If it's because of Europeans who come here and don't tip, I understand it, but I really think it's a cheap shot at a 10% price increase on the room. If it's to cover the "Free Breakfast" look for my review of "Tuckerman's Restaurant", they can keep their free breakfast for all I care. I also think this 10% gratuity is doing a dis-service to the wait-staff in the restaurant, since they probably lose out by people thinking that they don't have to tip anyone in the restaurant. Amost everyone there all seemed to lack any motivation. I have a sister who has always made her living waiting tables and bartending and I know how to tip and what to look for. I'm a softy and tipped even after receiving poor service because I felt bad for these girls.

Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank Fool_for_travel
Reviewed 19 May 2008

My husband and I booked two nights here for our first anniversary. We stayed in one of the cabins across the street from the main inn. The cabin itself was quite nice. It was roomy and modern, with a great bathroom, stand up shower, and a room mini-fridge and sink. The only things in the room we were disappointed with were the bedding (pathetically cheap and old, sheets were actually scratchy) and the tv (too small/old and placed so high it was uncomfortable to watch). The front porch was great with two comfortable rockers to sit in.

The first night we had dinner at Tuckerman's, the restaurant on site. The soups were great but the entrees were pretty bad. I got the meatloaf which was ok but the "twice baked" potatoes were too dry to even attempt to eat. My husband also had the potatoes and the pot roast with cranberry demiglace - ugh!! I have never in my whole life tasted food so dry!! My husband didn't even eat it. The waitress was visibly shocked to come back and pick up a practically full plate, yet she didn't even ask how it was.

We didn't get up in time for breakfast, and we neglected to use the maid service, which is our policy when we are staying consecutive nights -- saves water to not have the sheets or towels changed unless necessary. We also skipped Tuckerman's and instead ate in town.

The next morning, breakfast was not good. My husband had the eggs which he said were ok, but I had the pancakes which upset my stomach for two hours afterwards, and I didn't even eat but half of it.

But it was upon checkout that we were truly upset. We were quoted a package price of $399 - two nights, breakfast, dinner one night, and a bottle of champagne (Taylor - cheap but whatever). When I checked out, I knew there would be taxes but I was shocked to find our total to be $471.00!! Turns out, as others have mentioned here, we were charged $40 ($20/night) in "gratuities," which we had left for the waitstaff on our own, and didn't even use the maid service. I found this hidden fee to be ridiculous, and told the woman behind the counter that it was unfair that we were not told about it. She insisted that she had sent me a confirmation email detailing the fees, but this was absolutely not true... if she had sent me a confirmation email, I definitely would have printed it out and brought it with us, just in case. She would not budge and I left angry and feeling ripped off. My husband and I live on a very limited budget and we do not take $40 lightly.

If hidden fees are going to be the way of the New England Inn, than I absolutely will not go back and could not recommend this place to anyone -- no matter what the rooms are like. *I* want to decide how to spend my money, I don't need them telling me how much to tip and then secretly charging my card for that amount. Unethical.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shamity
Reviewed 24 March 2008

My girlfriend and I took a daytrip to North Conway from Portsmouth, NH over Easter weekend. We were originally going to do some outlet shopping, maybe get a 1/2 day of skiing in and enjoy the mountains. We somehow managed to pass the New England Inn on 16A and my girlfriend said 'WAIT, look at THAT!' which was the new lodge across the street from the inn. We had talked about renting a log cabin in Lake Placid, NY, but the prices are nuts (some are over $500 a night). We decided to be spontaneous and inquire about a room. They had a vacancy in the lodge portion of the hotel with a hot tub in the living room and a fire place. Mind you, we didn't have any luggage or even a toothbrush since it was only a day trip. This made it more fun! (plus, there is a rite-aid up the street so we made a stop to get toothbrushes, soap, hairbrush, etc.). Not to mention the outlets that were having amazing sales! (easy to buy a pair of long johns and clothes for the next day!). The suite we had was beautiful and rustic...the log beams, vaulted ceilings and the view from the room looked like a postcard. After a few hours of tubing at the nearby Cranmore Ski Resort, we were happy to use the hot tub. Only problem was that only 2 of the 8 jets worked. For the price, it would have been nice to have it working in full capacity. The room was clean although I thought the comforter smelled like perfume (not washed after the last guest?!?). We went over to Tuckerman's and had a beer at the bar while waiting for take out. It was packed and seemed like a fun/friendly crowd. We took our food across the street to enjoy it in front of our own private fireplace. The shepherd's pie was GREAT! and big enough for 2 of us to split!! We didn't even get to eat the caesar salad (also huge) that we ordered. Breakfast was ok the next day....not great. It's in a dining room at the main inn, not in Tuckerman's. I didn't mind the 'local attitude' of the waitresses. It was Easter morning and I know they wanted to get home. The food came out right away. Typical diner food, but we weren't expecting much. The location is so close to everything too...We were so happy to find this wonderful place and plan on going back during the fall and definitely in the winter to get a few days of skiing in. I think we'll get a log cabin or stay in the lodge again. All in all, it was a fantastic, spontaneous trip which made it even more special.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2008

We stayed in the "lodge" which is newly built and completely different than the original inn. The lodge is straight out of the west with all log construction and river rock fireplaces. The rooms are huge. Bedroom, living room with jacuzzi, large bath, balcony and gas fireplace. Really impressive. Breakfast was included and was good. The staff we're helpful and friendly. We would go again.

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 13 February 2008

We stayed in a contemporary loft cottage, and the lodging was pretty nice. There was a king size bed in a bedroom with a door and then stairs leading up to the loft with a full size and twin size bed, great for sharing with family that you don't want to share a bed with. The TV, gas fireplace, bathroom shower, and refrigerator were all up to standards. The cottage inside looked exactly like the "contemporary" photo on the hotel's web site.

As other reviewers have commented, an unbelievable amount is added to your bill for "gratuity" or "service charge," so be sure not to leave any tips.... you have already tipped more than enough. Housekeeping service was as expected, but the breakfast waitstaff was a disappointment. I guess the waitress knew her level of service didn't matter and she'd get her tips anyway.

The restaurant could never stay in business offering the breakfast it did to paying customers. We did not even eat the breakfast the second day, though we still paid for it, unfortunately. To be specific:
1. No whole grain ANYTHING offered
2. The only type of milk offered was whole milk.
3. No fruit of any kind offered
4. When we requested ice water instead of coffee, this produced a big sigh before the waitress brought two tiny glasses. I noticed other customers getting the same treatment for the same request.
5. Other special requests were met with sarcasm and eye-rolling.

I have to admit that I knew the service charge before I booked and I determined that even after adding this amount to our bill, it was still cheaper than other comparable lodging in the area. This hotel probably would have made me completely satisfied if I could have paid only for lodging, made my own decision about tips, and completely skipped the breakfast option and related gratuity.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2007

We planned a weekend, as a family (wife and 5 year old son), visiting Storyland in NH and chose the New England Inn because of its proximity (about 5-10 minute drive), a heated indoor pool and AAA rates.

We stayed in one of the white cottages (Granite Lake) near the restaurant, while our friends stayed in the one next to ours. Parking was right next to the cottages which made luggage transfer very easy. The rooms were comfortably sized, with a sitting room (sofa, two twin beds, TV/VCR, and mini-fridge) and a bedroom (two queen beds). Only the bedroom had an air conditioner which worked adequately. Overall the room was clean, but (as mentioned in another review) had a damp (read this as musty) smell and the furniture could have used some updating. Our allergies flared during the stay. The walls were very thin and you could hear almost everything going on in the adjacent cottage. We spent very little time at the cottage so did not explore alternatives, although the lodge across the street seemed very nice.

There was lawn space surrounding the cottages, which allowed for an impromptu game of catch, Frisbee or soccer. It was particularly quiet there and the setting is somewhat rustic, nestled among the pine trees. There was also a wonderful garden there, with a variety of visiting butterflies.

They had a wonderful new indoor pool, with an adjacent fitness room, that was a bit chilly but refreshing.

A hot breakfast at the restaurant was included and was fine, although nothing to write home about. On one day, we received a choice of pancakes, eggs to order, or French toast and on another, we received a "take it or leave it" sampler of pancakes, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns and scrambled eggs, which made breakfast difficult for a finicky 5-year-old. Service was nice and friendly. The facilities were clean.

Overall, a nice quiet area for the family representing a fair (although not outstanding) value, very close to Storyland. Good for a large family group. If you have allergies, the white cottages may not be the most comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Intervale
The Wentworth
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#3 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to New England Inn? Share your experiences!