“A wonderful visit....we will be back”
Review of Old Field House

Old Field House
Ranked #2 of 3 Intervale B&B and Inns
Manchester, New Hampshire
“A wonderful visit....we will be back”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I travel for work a lot...at least fifty hotel stays each year, and this is the first time I am writing a review....that should say something about the quality of the stay. We live about two hours south in Manchester, NH, and we like to visit the North Conway-area every year or so for summer activities. We decided to try the Old Field House after great reviews, and we were not disappointed in the least.

Everything about the trip was perfect. Our room was cozy and spotless. The air conditioner worked perfectly on a very hot and humid day, and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was amazing - I was so stuffed (as were my kids and husband) that we did not even need to eat lunch!). The game room kept our boys (4 and 7) occupied, as did the spotless pool (I enjoyed the hot tub!).

The owners truly think of everything to make your stay comfortable - from snacks in the lobby area to sunscreen by the pool. Even more importantly, their hospitality cannot be beat. It was a lovely stay from start to finish.

An extra bonus is that it is very close to Story Land without being on a busy road, and a great restaurant./pub (Tuckerman's Tavern) is a short walk away. Perfect location!

We will be back!

Room Tip: Room variety provides many options for solo travelers, couples, or families.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Majorgal

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Stoneham
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My husband and I have been staying at the Old Field House for years. We usually get the same room too! Rod and Linia, the owners are the best! They make us feel like old friends. Rod also makes a mean belgian waffle! As far as I am concerned, this is the only place to stay when we visit the White Mountains.

Linda I
Stoneham, MA

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda I
New England
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We have stayed at the Old Field House many times and we will keep coming back. The owners are incredibly nice and attentive to all guests. We like to go out to breakfast but knowing that we can eat right there if we want it is a huge plus and the few times we did, the food was great.

We often travel on a motorcycle so it is nice to have a washer and dryer available to use. We also like that we can walk to Tuckerman's to eat.

The rooms are always clean and comfortable. We would love to be able to bring our dog occasionally but understand why they have a no pet policy so we are happy to share their dog Teddy Bear when we are there. It helps when we miss our dog.

We were a bit surprised to see that the pool is being closed in as we are summer, outdoor pool lovers but if it is what more guests want and can make it a year round feature we are fine with it. It will not keep us away.

The grounds are always neat and well kept. Feels like home.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hunter1998
Santiago De Los Caballeros, Santiago, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the king jacuzzi suites behind the main hotel twice (December 2010 and 2011). There isn't anything that I don't like about it, and I know my husband feels the same way. Rod and Linea are really sweet and a pleasure to see and talk to. I also agree that Rod's waffles are as good as the rave reviews (the banana waffles are the best!). Teddy Bear is the most docile dog I've ever seen, and once we met her, we fell in love. We haven't gone in the hot tub or pool, although they are heated and open in the winter. I've never felt inspired to be outside in December in any degree of undress.

Anyway, there aren't a ton of people there around the time we've gone, and we always feel very comfortable during our stay. If you stay at a jacuzzi suite, I recommend picking up some bath bombs, since bubble baths aren't the way to go with those.

I would say this is the perfect place to escape all the craziness of the holidays and get some peace and quiet. I also like that it's not on the main road (Rt 16) so there isn't a lot of traffic around. The restaurants are kind of hit-or-miss in North Conway, so getting recommendations is advised. Our favorites so far are the White Mountain Cider Company (in Glen), Delaney's Hole in the Wall, The Red Parka (in Glen) and Stonehurst Manor. There are places we haven't tried that are probably good, but so far those are the ones we like the most. We will definitely be back again!

Room Tip: The king suite with the memory foam mattress is really nice. We slept very well there. We also enjoy...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Seekonk, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This was our second stay at the Old Field House and I'm sure it won't be our last. If you're looking for high end, glitzy, polished, state-of-the-art, sterile hotel accommodations, this isn't your place. If you're looking for comfort, old-fashioned hospitality, a great breakfast and a home-away-from-home feeling, you can't do any better. The owners are wonderful and cater to your every need. Breakfast is amazing! But the best part is feeling that you're visiting family for the weekend and just relaxing at their home. The kids adore the game room and movie theater (yes, movie theater!). There's plenty of space to "hang out" and get to know the other guests as well. Heated pool and jacuzzi are just right. And watching bears walk through the yard each morning?? Priceless!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Great place for a country type of getaway. The owners have branded "nice" into the culture there and it isn't fake by any means. Visit their website and read about Rod's famous waffles... They ARE as good as they are cracked up to be.

• Stayed March 2012
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Our family's second stay at the Old Field House was as great as the first. The 5 of us had a family suite which provides plenty of personal space for everyone and the Inn has many "public" spaces too. Our kids (11, 9, and 5) love the basement game room with its air hockey, ping pong, and other games as well as the "movie theatre". My husband and I read and chatted comfortably by the fire in the main floor parlour. The breakfast room, with its view of birds and trees is also comfortable and welcoming. We even used the jacuzzi (in March!).

Rod and Linnea are wonderful hosts, providing many tips about the area restaurants and attractions. We downhill skied for the first time during this stay and had a fantastic day. This was truly a home away from home for all of us. We had considered a vacation rental, so we could cook in, but with the fantastic breakfasts, and a sandwich for lunch while on the go, we were able to avoid all but the dinners out. And as my family's cook, I was happy to have the break from prep and clean-up!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Intervale
Bartlett Inn
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Old Field House? Share your experiences!