“Picturesque skiing”

Jackson Ski Touring Foundation
Ranked #6 of 18 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Owner description: Cross-country ski area on scenic grounds.
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Decided to try it out even though there was very little natural snow in my area. Looked on their website and a photo of the conditions of the day prior had me convinced to make the hour drive. I was not disappointed one bit, trails newly groomed never hit any bad spots and staff were very friendly. My one criticism was the map I received did not have all their trails on it, got to a spot that was off the map and I had to turn around for fear of getting lost.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

This was our first visit to cross country ski in the area, but I am sure we will come back many times. There is a huge network of trails and everything we saw was superbly groomed. It wasn't very crowded either.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

What a great place to X-C Ski, the rates are low, the facilities are great, the people are very friendly and helpful if you had questions or needed directions. We took a beginner lesson, just to refresh ourselves on the X-C skis. The instructor was terrific and gave us some tips about the different ski areas. My wife and I wrapped up our lesson and then headed out. What a large area and people were very courteous with the two novices on their trails. Smile. The tracks sere groomed and we had tons of fun going through the bridges and down and around the hills, and we were on the beginner trails..

Reviewed 25 February 2013

As this was my first foray into Nordic skiing, I have to defer to others with respect to how it compares to similar areas. My review is primarily based upon the excellent service we received from the moment we walked in until we departed. Being new, we (my wife and I) were able to get a package including rental, lessons, and trail passes for way less than a lift ticket at an alpine hill. It may have been due to the fact it was a Monday, but the front desk staff took the time to ensure we understood everything and were very willing to answer questions.

The folks down in the rental shop were friendly and explained, not just the equipment, but some of the good spots to head as a beginner. From there we headed out for an hour or so of instruction from Hannah, who also took the time to make sure everyone was grasping the skills needed to get on the trails.

As for said trails, we did the golf course loops near the center and headed out the Ellis River trail for a bit, but had to cut it short due to time (I am making that as an excuse anyway).

I'm sure I'll be sore, but we are heading back and will be pulling the kids off the downhill mountain for some XC lessons tomorrow.

1  Thank Kambone
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Jackson is probably the best cross-country skiing destination in New England. They typically have more than 60km of trails that are open and machine groomed for both traditional and skate skiing. The trails range from beginner to advanced--there's definitely something for everyone. They have tons of rental skis and gear if you don't have your own XC stuff and they offer lessons for beginners as well. The foundation also has show shoeing trails and rentals. $21 will get you an all day pass to the trails--this is more than you'd pay at other places in New England, but there are enough trails at Jackson to keep even an advanced cross country skier entertained for days! They have some other package deals where you get a discounted rate if you bring your downhill lift ticket from the day before or if you arrive after 1:30pm etc. (check their website for details).