“Fabulous meal in a wonderful setting”
Review of Shovel Handle Pub

Shovel Handle Pub
Ranked #9 of 17 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Durham, NH
“Fabulous meal in a wonderful setting”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We love the atmosphere of this barn/pub and always have great, friendly service. This place is such a nice alternative to chain and unfriendly restaurants who sometimes prey on tourists. The menu is varied and we especially like to order the daily specials - the shrimp flatbread and ahi tuna are great as appetizers or even as main meals. This place is the real deal and not to be missed. The live music is a nice added bonus on weekends.

• Visited March 2012

New England
“Magnificent food and wonderful service!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had dinner here last night and it was so delicious I just had to write a review. I discovered this place on Trip Advisor - I saw the great reviews so since we were in town we thought we'd try it out. This pub is in a huge old barn at the base of Black Mountain in Jackson, NH. It has two big open floors with seating. The lower level has a wood burning fireplace and bar, as well as huge windows that look out on Black Mountain. The upper level has a birds eye view of the lower level. The whole place is decorated nicely and the "barn atmosphere" is really cool. There was a guitarist/singer playing when we arrived. The volume was a bit too loud, but that is the only complaint I have about this place. Our waitress Nicky was fabulous -- although it was a busy Friday night, she still managed to be very attentive and personable. We went with her recommendation and we each got the Bourbon Street Sirloin Tips. She was right - they were marinated to perfection. I can't tell you how delicious they were - we were in heaven. The meal also came with a salad (try the balsamic vinaigrette - it's yummy), as well as garlic mashed potatoes and freshly steamed vegetables. It was an outstanding meal - we left full and very happy. I highly recommend this pub!

• Visited March 2012
Moosup, Connecticut
“Great meal and excellent service.”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Arrived Saturday night at 6and after a 15 minute wait had a great seat. Guitarist was a little loud but ok. Our waitress Nicki was great and always had time despite being very busy with several large parties. Food was great served timely and well prepared. We'll be back.

Maine
“Amazing Food!”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I visited this restaurant during a recent visit to the Jackson area. We were a party of 8 and got seated after only a 5 minute wait which was unexpected as it was a busy weekend. Our waitress was very new and didn't know the menu too well however she did a decent job considering how new she clearly was. The food was amazing. I had the Blackberry BBQ Ribs and my wife had the Bourbon Street Marinated Tips. I eat a ton of steak and ribs and I have to say these were both some of the best I have ever had. The marinade on the tips was amazing and the BBQ sauce on the ribs was the best I have ever had. I prefer a sweet suace with no hotness to it on ribs and this sauce was just that. The others in our party all had good meals as well however the ribs and tips were by far the best. The atmosphere in the restaurant was great as well.

• Visited January 2012
Boston, MA
“Not Worth the LONG Wait.”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Keep in mind it's school vacation week here. That said an hour and half wait for dinner just isn't worth it to us. We were a party of 6. Called ahead to make a reservation. They don't take them. When I mentioned that we got turned away last time, she said NOOO, we don't do that! However, the hostess told us we were the last large group they were going to take and it was only 7pm! So if you're going with friends make sure you arrive early and be prepared to wait.............
When we finally got seated, there was only one other party in the dining room and they were finishing up! Go figure. One never understands how a restaurant works.
The food was ok. The rolls were the first indication of what we were in for. "These are a little over done but I'll see if they'll warm some fresh for you" HM. After being reminded, she did bring more rolls. Not worth the wait, only ok. Meals were fine, good not great. Our waitress was wonderful. She knew we'd waited too long and was on the ball. She deserves a promotion!
Honestly, there are too many good restaurants in the area to bother waiting forever to eat here.

• Visited February 2012