“One of the best weekend getaways I've ever had!”

Christmas Farm Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 13 Jackson B&B and Inns
Stoughton, Massachusetts
“One of the best weekend getaways I've ever had!”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My boyfriend treated us to a long weekend getaway for Valentine's Day. We arrived that Friday and were able to check in a little before 3 PM, which was wonderful. Our room was one of the smaller rooms in the main inn (We stayed in Room 8 - Cupid.. How fitting, right?!) but it was perfectly fine for the two of us. Plus, we booked this trip a week before we were going and with it being Valentine's Day weekend/MA school vacation week I wasn't going to be picky, as we were lucky to get what we did on such short notice! I've never stayed in an inn before and I found it to be very charming. Mornings in the main inn can be kind of noisy - where our room was it was right at the top of the staircase, but with the restaurant right under you it's hard to not have the foot traffic. Plus you're on vacation - you don't want to waste the day away sleeping, you have things to do! :-)

We had breakfast included in our stay (I already wrote a review for the restaurant on the premises) and every morning it was a delicious, filling country meal for sure. I splurged each morning and got the real NH maple syrup. Can't skimp out on the good stuff on vacation, right? I could rave about the blueberry pancakes and Belgian waffles. My boyfriend loved his western omelets and finally tried the Belgian waffle after hearing me say how good it was. We did dinner one night and had no complaints about our meals (turkey dinner and chicken filled ravioli) and devoured our dessert of maple creme brulee. The service pace is a bit slower than I'm used to in MA but we were in no rush. It gave us plenty of time to digest and talk
and just enjoy one anothers company.

I loved the homey feel of the downstairs living rooms in the Main Inn - we spent a night down there playing card games before bed. We also had the pleasure of meeting the inn keepers little boy, he was adorable and chatty. He even offered recommendations where to go sledding ;-) I also wish I could have taken their beautiful dog home with me. She was so friendly and cuddly, I could have stayed with her all day.

Before we left I treated myself to an hour massage with Linda (who is ah-may-zing!!!!) and highly enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of the spa. It is totally worth it - especially before you go home. I was so relaxed it really was the best way to wind down the weekend before heading back home.

The only, and I mean only, thing that wasn't 5 stars for me was the bed in our room. I'm a bed snob so anything too firm bothers me. It wasn't unbearable but I just wish it could have been a bit softer. Other than that, honestly, I give this place two thumbs up, 5 stars, and will be recommending it to everyone I know!

Suggestions if you're visiting Jackson/North Conway - Northern Extremes snowmobiling (did the 2 hour guided tour, it was amazing and the views were unbelievable!), Nestlenook sleigh rides and ice skating (literally the most magical place ever!), Brettonwoods for skiing (best resort I've ever skiied at), the Met coffee shop, Flatbread Pizza Company (try the brownie sundae, you'll thank me!), Eagle Mt Hotel for dinner, and tubing anywhere you can (Cranmore, King Pine)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CFIManager, Owner at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Wow, thank you again! And what great tips for other travelers to the area. Very useful.
We look forward to seeing you both again soon!

Gary, Sandra and all the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at the Christmas Farm Inn a number of years ago for a wedding. At that time is was quaint, cozy and inviting. They have unfortunately made few if any upgrades since then and if anything it has slid briskly down hill similar to the many skiers who venture there to hit the slopes. The entire place is outdated and in need of renovations and repair. There was exposed wiring where the exterior light should be for our room which is always concerning.The restaurant was below average and the wait staff was rude. Paying for your dinner is quite confusing as they have several rooms with the same number. I was rudely told "We have no idea which room 12 you are in" when trying to pay for dinner by billing my room. Most hotels and Inns use some sort of sequential numbering or unique name for a room to alleviate this confusion. Not the Christmas Farm Inn. The changing room for the spa is small, does not possess and lockers and has a toilet at the entrance. I was a little surprised to find a gentleman doing his business in plain sight when I went in to change. Really an odd design with little forethought. I was also unfortunate enough to leave an item at the hotel. I called and they promptly stated they would mail it to me. When I called two weeks later it had yet to leave the desk and I was asked for a credit card number so that they could mail it. Pretty poor service if you ask me. This place is not worth it, there are so many better places to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pillow527
We are very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay.

'Rude' is not a description that we usually hear in connection to our dining room staff. Possibly you have taken offense to the casual tone with regards to the confusion with the room number? We mostly receive positive feedback for our restaurant, especially on the quality of our food and service.

We are not sure when you last stayed at the Christmas Farm;
in 2000, the Carriage House building was added to the property which now houses our Aveda Spa as well as 12 suites. These rooms are extremely popular and considered a welcome addition to the property by old and new guests. The suites are named after the song 'Twelve Days of Christmas' to stay with the Christmas theme of our lodging names.
The owners and architects at the time may have skipped the twelfth day suite had they known that one day in 2014 this would be the cause for such confusion with another room at the Main Inn ;-) Sequential numbering works well in homogenized buildings, not so well in a 15-acre historic Inn with 13 buildings that span 3 centuries.

Also in 2000 the fitness center and indoor pool were added, again a welcome addition to our facilities. There are two changing rooms with the bathroom incorporated that can be locked from the inside. These are not meant to be communal bathrooms and we assume that the other gentleman simply forgot to lock the door when retiring for business.
Until now, there has not been a need for lockers and we have had no incidences of theft.

Since taking over the business in August 2010, we have undertaken many renovations and improvements, ranging from all new flat screen TVs to new boilers, new doors and windows, carpets, bedding, in room a/c, new fireplaces, reupholstered furniture, and much more. We receive many wonderful comments from repeat guests who see this ongoing process and delight in discovering new improvements every time they come.
This work is ongoing and the reason you had loose wires outside your room because of the new entry doors that were fitted recently for rooms 11 and 12. New lanterns are in our office and are waiting to be to installed this week.
For the benefit of other readers I would like to point out that these wires are too high for a guests to come into contact with unless they desired to do so.

Guests leave things behind almost daily. At the end of any given weekend we usually have 1-3 bags of goodies ready to be returned to their owners and do a UPS run once a week, sometimes more. The packaging and sending of these items incur costs that guests are happy to pay for since the item was forgotten by them. Up until now no one has taken offense to this.

Maybe you would like to try us again this summer when more spring renovations will have taken place, some of which will be of a cosmetic nature and therefore easier to spot than the many behind-the-scenes improvements we have undertaken in the last 4 years.

Southington, Connecticut, USA
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were looking for a place that was more cozy than a chain hotel but also welcoming to families with young kids. We found the match at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa. Our family enjoyed our meals at the main inn building, swimming in both the outdoor and indoor pools and the bonfire at night. We stayed here for a trip to Storyland and it was the perfect spot to come back to after a long hot day. Definitely would return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for review of your stay during the summer season, we are happy you had such a great time. We love having families around as we have young kids ourselves, so we know what parents and kids appreciate. The fire pit at night is a favorite for many and movie night helps the parents finish their drinks 'in peace'.
We hope to see you again this summer!

The CFI Team
Palermo, Maine, United States
Reviewed 11 February 2014

we were here for 5 nights and 3 of them the hot tube was not working the water was ice cold,the bed in the rooms was real hard to sleep on was not good at all.the bath room was so small i had i hard time with it, i told the guy at the front desk about the hot tube he said we will see if we can give you some money back on your room we will let you know,but never seen him at all about it he just did not care at all

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wayne C
CFIManager, Owner at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
We do not agree with your assertions, but thank you for the opportunity to clarify. The hot tub you are referring to is in the indoor pool & fitness center building, which is open to all guests. An ‘accident’, kindly reported by the guest involved, required that we immediately close the hot tub for cleaning. We drained the water, cleaned and sanitized the hot tub and refilled the tub with cold water, which was then heated to the proper temperature. The hot tub was closed the evening of the accident and then reopened in the early afternoon of the next day. As was explained at the time, it was an unfortunate incident, for which we apologized for, but for which we had no control. We could only react by doing what was necessary for the health and safety of all. We are grateful for the understanding of our other guests, and that the incident did not totally ruin their stay, as it did yours, and that we didn’t have any other demands for compensation.

Also, for the record, the room you occupied has a new King, pillow-top bed installed one year ago. We note that you didn’t comment on the bed during your stay. We also have 13 suites with oversized bathrooms, including walk-in showers and separate Jacuzzi baths. We recommend these for anyone who might question whether or not they would fit in one of our other regular size bathrooms.

Jackson, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We are waking up on the last day of a weekend getaway with friends to Jackson. We are in one of the cottages (#6) and our friends are in the next one down the road (#5). In cottage #6, our beds are extremely comfortable. The showers have plenty of hot water and great water pressure from the showerheads. Housekeeping came in and cleaned up, made beds, replenished soap, shampoo, coffee, and brought new towels each day. AWESOME!!! Breakfast in the dining room is a PERFECT way to start the day, lots of choices. We had dinner in the same dining room on our first night. The chef prepared the BEST calamari I've ever had. They also offer an AWARD WINNING chili that I regret not trying (next time). Wait staff was attentive, quick, and proffesional. There also is a nice small pub with a nice collection of fine American and Scotch Whiskeys among their other offerings. The CROWN JEWEL of Christmas Farm has to be their Spa. OK... yesterday afternoon was my first time at a spa. It definitely won't be my last. The sounds of waterfalls, the aromas, the gentle music playing. Peaceful, Serene, Calming, Relaxing. I'd never had a massage before... my massage therapist has the hands of an angel. OH MY GOD! My back hasn't felt this good in 20 years. Thank You So Much. OK, I'm done. Time to get up out of this bed and pack up. Breakfast is being served. Checkout is at 11:00. We had a GREAT time and we will be back.

• Stayed February 2014
Thanks so much for writing your comments. We are so pleased that you all had such a great time. We must warn you, though…the spa is addictively good for your health! We hope to see you back soon!

The CFI team
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We wanted to both xcountry ski and downhill and this location seemed like a good one as Jackson has some great cross country and we didn't want to stay in North Conway. Liked the inn. Dinner was wonderful at their restaurant. Breakfast good too although on weekends it seems like you need to get there early if the morning, if you want to get out before 8:30.

Mistletoe room was large and clean. Had a big jacuzzi in the room, which may seem a tad strange to some but it was nice to have after skiing. Is on the first floor of the salt box building, which is very close to main inn. Large comfortable king bed. The inn isn't luxurious but very nice and honey. Only issue, which is nitpicking, was the pillows. They had 6 on the bed and none suited to stomach sleepers. We never made it to the spa or pool.

We would come here again--perhaps this summer with our kids for a storyland trip.

Room Tip: Mistletoe room is in saltbox. Close to inn, but on first floor right inside so you will hear people...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kokopele5
CFIManager, General Manager at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thanks for writing in. You picked the best place on the east coast to cross-country and downhill ski. Jackson XC has 72 miles of ski trails and 9 miles of snow shoeing trails – for all abilities. Black Mountain downhill ski area is a mile past us up Black Mountain Road. Wildcat is 10 miles away (technically still in Jackson), and Cranmore, Attitash and Bretton Woods are all a short drive away. We sell discounted tickets for each mountain. All-in-all, Jackson is a real winter wonderland, but also central to all warmer season sites, activities and attractions…Storyland being only one, is two miles away!

Our restaurant is open from 7:30 – 10:00 a.m. serving a cold buffet and hot entrée to order. We encourage people to come early if they want to get in and out quick. Inevitably, most people come between 9:00 – 10:00 a.m.

What kind of pillows do stomach sleepers use? We are eager to know! As innkeepers…we have no time for sleep…! See you soon!

Lowell, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 27 January 2014

It was too cold for skiing-- my two friends and I opted for a spa day! We are so glad we did...the spa is beautiful. The staff treated us like royalty. Best message ever from Linda, Mary gave us a wonderful facial and Marcy was terrific with mani and pedi. We left there feeling like new women! Thank you, Linda, Mary and Marcy! The spa manager was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Louise G
CFIManager, Owner at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Wow, thank you for that 'title' - we have known it all along, but always good to hear it in public! ;-)
Keep spreading the word!
Thanks again,
Gary, Sandra and the Spa Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Wentworth
#4 of 12 in Bartlett
Snowflake Inn
Snowflake Inn
#1 of 13 in Jackson

Been to Christmas Farm Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!