“Loved it almost as much as the skiing”

Christmas Farm Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 11 Jackson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked the Christmas Farm Inn as a "mystery deal" on hotwire.com. The CFI was a pleasant surprise, Hotwire was a very bad joke.

First Hotwire: I was comparing two separate hotels at different locations and prices in two separate tabs on my web browser. I decided to stay in Jackson, NH and when I finalized this with payment the site booked the room (in N. Conway) that was open in the other tab. I called Hotwire immediately and explained the tech error, the woman in Wisconsin repeated the "no refund/ sales final" policy dozens of times and reiterated that I must not have read the itinerary carefully before paying. After about a half hour of arguing and exhausting my patience I was put on hold (as the woman explained to a supervisor that I was never going to back down), they made a "one time exception" and sure enough cancelled the un-cancellable booking, under the condition that I booked the other room immediately over the phone. I had to pay for both, and my refund for the botched booking then took FIVE DAYS to be credited back to my account. However, all this was rather serendipitous because we ended up booking the Christmas Farm Inn.

The next week, I called the CFI to confirm the night before our arrival and spoke with Daniel. Hotwire, in all their intellectual glory, communicated the wrong dates for our stay. The CFI expected us to arrive on Friday, yet I had booked the room Wed. to Friday. Daniel handled the error with true professionalism. Once again I had to call Hotwire to straighten their mess out. The woman I spoke to contacted Dan, Dan called me back and informed that we were now set up in a room with two queen sized beds and that the CFI would waive the fee for the third occupant in our room (the stereotypical snowboarder who wants in on the ski trip once the rooms are already booked). Dan is the man and surely earns every cent of his paycheck.

The CFI is not perfect, if there is such a thing: our room (Noel) had a unique musty odor, our phone was broken, the internet in our building (salt box) was down, there is no refrigerator in the room, the beds are a bit too stiff and our door would not shut tightly enough to lock (though the owner responded immediately to check it out). However the CFI is truly awesome in many other ways. The grounds are gorgeous, the staff is professional, the pool and hot tub are wonderful (great setting/ not overloaded with chemicals), the included breakfast is fantastic, there is always a fireplace roaring and in general the place is comfortable, quiet and conveniently located (especially for skiing, also to the Red Fox-yum!), and worth talking about when you get home. I have utmost respect for the owners of this place... there is a lot going on and it must be immensely difficult to take care of, plus they take the time to respond to all the negative reviews on here (some of which are very entertaining). I have to admit that when it comes to hotels I'm not very hard to please (especially when breakfast is provided), but the CFI stands out to me as very special and I plan on booking it again for our annual trip to the White Mountains. After a few days of hard skiing, staying at the CFI felt like coming home (to a much more beautiful home than my own). It's one of a kind (and tasteful, for those of you worrying about the "Christmas" theme being overdone, it's not- it adds character and is pretty cool). Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
CFIManager, Owner at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words and getting 'what we are about'. It is true that we are not perfect...yet! We are working hard on it and make improvements all the time. You will be happy to know that the phone in your was fixed last week as was the wi-fi. The door to your room is brand-new and was put in just before Christmas. Many new mattresses are on their way into rooms, including yours.
The Salt Box is over 200 years old - some say it is the oldest house in Jackson. We love the property for its history and the fact that its 13 buildings span 2 centuries. Sure this means a lot of maintenance and TLC but the CFI is well worth it.
See you again soon!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We got married at the Christmas Farm Inn on 2/14/14 in the Carriage House in front of the Stone Fireplace that ran from floor to ceiling with plenty of windows on each side. It was the perfect setting for a small, intimate wedding. Very romantic. We stayed in one of the Suites in the Carriage House. Aside of the floors not being thoroughly swept, vacuumed and washed, we found the accomodations to be wonderful and romantic. The decor and set-up of the room was perfect. During our stay, we visited the Aveda Spa and I must say that I had one of the best massages of my life. What a tranquil setting and the steam room is a must try. After our wedding ceremony, we had a lovely dinner in the cove area to the Main Inn in the dining room with our immediate family. Every single dish we and our guest ordered, was excellent. Could not have asked for better tasting food and the quality was excellent. We also ate breakfast twice at the Inn and it was also delicious. Hats off to the award winning chef! The Innkeeper, Sandra, was pleasant and accomodating. Sandra also made some excellent recommendations for the cake baker and Justice of the Peace. We will return for anniversaries and other occasions. Thank you all at the Christmas Farm Inn!

Room Tip: The suites at the Carriage House are wonderful
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much, it was a pleasure to host your wedding! Come back soon!
Sandra, Gary and all the team

Reviewed 22 February 2014

My mom, my 5-year-old son and I stayed at the Christmas Farm Inn over February break and we had a delightful and relaxing time. We stayed in the Carriage House, and the room was lovely. It was the perfect amount of space for the three of us. I will say, the pull-out couch bed was not very comfortable, and for the most part the three of us ended up sleeping in the comfortable king-size bed.The view from our room was beautiful, we loved waking up, flipping on the fireplace, drinking coffee and looking at the snow-capped mountains. The tub was also a great feature. My son felt like he was in his own pool.
There were a few minor problems with the room. We were on the first floor and could hear the people walking above us, as well as the water running through the pipes any time someone flushed the toilet. We could also hear when they put the jets on in the tub. Next time I would try to stay on the second floor to avoid this.
The other thing guests should know is that the Carriage House is perched above the main inn up a steep hill. If it snows (which it did while we were visiting, about a foot over 2 days) you need 4-wheel drive to get up the hill. We did not have 4-wheel drive, so we parked down near the main inn and walked up and down. This was fine for us, even fun to walk up and down to the pool or the inn in the snow, but it might be too steep for anyone with physical difficulties.
The pool and hot tub, which were down the hill a bit, were very nice, and it was very fun to sit in the hot tub and see the snow falling outside the glass enclosure.
My mom and I were also both able to have a massage at the spa, and we both said it was one of the best massages we have ever had. The spa is also very tranquil and has a nice feel to it. I had Linda and my mom had Julie and both women were amazing masseuses!
Lastly, I must say the food was one of the best parts of the trip. We ate at the inn the first night, when they have their two-for-one entree deal, and we were blown away by how good it was. Everyone who stays at the inn must try the maple creme brulee! We were told the inn has an executive chef who works on the dinners and main dishes, and a baker who makes all of the breads and desserts every day. We ate there the second night too, and on the third night we snacked on the leftovers. The breakfasts were excellent too, and you can order off of their full breakfast menu. The service was very friendly, and we truly enjoyed coming down to the inn.
We will definitely be back, and I definitely recommend the inn to anyone from older couples to families with children.

Room Tip: The Carriage House definitely seems like the most updated area of the inn. I met other families who...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
CFIManager, Owner at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you so much for your detailed review, we loved reading that you enjoyed all our amenities and your stay with us. We look forward to having you all back.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My boyfriend treated us to a long weekend getaway for Valentine's Day. We arrived that Friday and were able to check in a little before 3 PM, which was wonderful. Our room was one of the smaller rooms in the main inn (We stayed in Room 8 - Cupid.. How fitting, right?!) but it was perfectly fine for the two of us. Plus, we booked this trip a week before we were going and with it being Valentine's Day weekend/MA school vacation week I wasn't going to be picky, as we were lucky to get what we did on such short notice! I've never stayed in an inn before and I found it to be very charming. Mornings in the main inn can be kind of noisy - where our room was it was right at the top of the staircase, but with the restaurant right under you it's hard to not have the foot traffic. Plus you're on vacation - you don't want to waste the day away sleeping, you have things to do! :-)

We had breakfast included in our stay (I already wrote a review for the restaurant on the premises) and every morning it was a delicious, filling country meal for sure. I splurged each morning and got the real NH maple syrup. Can't skimp out on the good stuff on vacation, right? I could rave about the blueberry pancakes and Belgian waffles. My boyfriend loved his western omelets and finally tried the Belgian waffle after hearing me say how good it was. We did dinner one night and had no complaints about our meals (turkey dinner and chicken filled ravioli) and devoured our dessert of maple creme brulee. The service pace is a bit slower than I'm used to in MA but we were in no rush. It gave us plenty of time to digest and talk
and just enjoy one anothers company.

I loved the homey feel of the downstairs living rooms in the Main Inn - we spent a night down there playing card games before bed. We also had the pleasure of meeting the inn keepers little boy, he was adorable and chatty. He even offered recommendations where to go sledding ;-) I also wish I could have taken their beautiful dog home with me. She was so friendly and cuddly, I could have stayed with her all day.

Before we left I treated myself to an hour massage with Linda (who is ah-may-zing!!!!) and highly enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of the spa. It is totally worth it - especially before you go home. I was so relaxed it really was the best way to wind down the weekend before heading back home.

The only, and I mean only, thing that wasn't 5 stars for me was the bed in our room. I'm a bed snob so anything too firm bothers me. It wasn't unbearable but I just wish it could have been a bit softer. Other than that, honestly, I give this place two thumbs up, 5 stars, and will be recommending it to everyone I know!

Suggestions if you're visiting Jackson/North Conway - Northern Extremes snowmobiling (did the 2 hour guided tour, it was amazing and the views were unbelievable!), Nestlenook sleigh rides and ice skating (literally the most magical place ever!), Brettonwoods for skiing (best resort I've ever skiied at), the Met coffee shop, Flatbread Pizza Company (try the brownie sundae, you'll thank me!), Eagle Mt Hotel for dinner, and tubing anywhere you can (Cranmore, King Pine)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Wow, thank you again! And what great tips for other travelers to the area. Very useful.
We look forward to seeing you both again soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at the Christmas Farm Inn a number of years ago for a wedding. At that time is was quaint, cozy and inviting. They have unfortunately made few if any upgrades since then and if anything it has slid briskly down hill similar to the many skiers who venture there to hit the slopes. The entire place is outdated and in need of renovations and repair. There was exposed wiring where the exterior light should be for our room which is always concerning.The restaurant was below average and the wait staff was rude. Paying for your dinner is quite confusing as they have several rooms with the same number. I was rudely told "We have no idea which room 12 you are in" when trying to pay for dinner by billing my room. Most hotels and Inns use some sort of sequential numbering or unique name for a room to alleviate this confusion. Not the Christmas Farm Inn. The changing room for the spa is small, does not possess and lockers and has a toilet at the entrance. I was a little surprised to find a gentleman doing his business in plain sight when I went in to change. Really an odd design with little forethought. I was also unfortunate enough to leave an item at the hotel. I called and they promptly stated they would mail it to me. When I called two weeks later it had yet to leave the desk and I was asked for a credit card number so that they could mail it. Pretty poor service if you ask me. This place is not worth it, there are so many better places to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Pillow527

We are very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay.

'Rude' is not a description that we usually hear in connection to our dining room staff. Possibly you have taken offense to the casual tone with regards to the confusion with the room number? We mostly receive positive feedback for our restaurant, especially on the quality of our food and service.

We are not sure when you last stayed at the Christmas Farm;
in 2000, the Carriage House building was added to the property which now houses our Aveda Spa as well as 12 suites. These rooms are extremely popular and considered a welcome addition to the property by old and new guests. The suites are named after the song 'Twelve Days of Christmas' to stay with the Christmas theme of our lodging names.
The owners and architects at the time may have skipped the twelfth day suite had they known that one day in 2014 this would be the cause for such confusion with another room at the Main Inn ;-) Sequential numbering works well in homogenized buildings, not so well in a 15-acre historic Inn with 13 buildings that span 3 centuries.

Also in 2000 the fitness center and indoor pool were added, again a welcome addition to our facilities. There are two changing rooms with the bathroom incorporated that can be locked from the inside. These are not meant to be communal bathrooms and we assume that the other gentleman simply forgot to lock the door when retiring for business.
Until now, there has not been a need for lockers and we have had no incidences of theft.

Since taking over the business in August 2010, we have undertaken many renovations and improvements, ranging from all new flat screen TVs to new boilers, new doors and windows, carpets, bedding, in room a/c, new fireplaces, reupholstered furniture, and much more. We receive many wonderful comments from repeat guests who see this ongoing process and delight in discovering new improvements every time they come.
This work is ongoing and the reason you had loose wires outside your room because of the new entry doors that were fitted recently for rooms 11 and 12. New lanterns are in our office and are waiting to be to installed this week.
For the benefit of other readers I would like to point out that these wires are too high for a guests to come into contact with unless they desired to do so.

Guests leave things behind almost daily. At the end of any given weekend we usually have 1-3 bags of goodies ready to be returned to their owners and do a UPS run once a week, sometimes more. The packaging and sending of these items incur costs that guests are happy to pay for since the item was forgotten by them. Up until now no one has taken offense to this.

Maybe you would like to try us again this summer when more spring renovations will have taken place, some of which will be of a cosmetic nature and therefore easier to spot than the many behind-the-scenes improvements we have undertaken in the last 4 years.

Gary and Sandra

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were looking for a place that was more cozy than a chain hotel but also welcoming to families with young kids. We found the match at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa. Our family enjoyed our meals at the main inn building, swimming in both the outdoor and indoor pools and the bonfire at night. We stayed here for a trip to Storyland and it was the perfect spot to come back to after a long hot day. Definitely would return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for review of your stay during the summer season, we are happy you had such a great time. We love having families around as we have young kids ourselves, so we know what parents and kids appreciate. The fire pit at night is a favorite for many and movie night helps the parents finish their drinks 'in peace'.
We hope to see you again this summer!

The CFI Team

Reviewed 11 February 2014

we were here for 5 nights and 3 of them the hot tube was not working the water was ice cold,the bed in the rooms was real hard to sleep on was not good at all.the bath room was so small i had i hard time with it, i told the guy at the front desk about the hot tube he said we will see if we can give you some money back on your room we will let you know,but never seen him at all about it he just did not care at all

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wayne C
CFIManager, Owner at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

We do not agree with your assertions, but thank you for the opportunity to clarify. The hot tub you are referring to is in the indoor pool & fitness center building, which is open to all guests. An ‘accident’, kindly reported by the guest involved, required that we immediately close the hot tub for cleaning. We drained the water, cleaned and sanitized the hot tub and refilled the tub with cold water, which was then heated to the proper temperature. The hot tub was closed the evening of the accident and then reopened in the early afternoon of the next day. As was explained at the time, it was an unfortunate incident, for which we apologized for, but for which we had no control. We could only react by doing what was necessary for the health and safety of all. We are grateful for the understanding of our other guests, and that the incident did not totally ruin their stay, as it did yours, and that we didn’t have any other demands for compensation.

Also, for the record, the room you occupied has a new King, pillow-top bed installed one year ago. We note that you didn’t comment on the bed during your stay. We also have 13 suites with oversized bathrooms, including walk-in showers and separate Jacuzzi baths. We recommend these for anyone who might question whether or not they would fit in one of our other regular size bathrooms.

Gary and Sandra

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club
Inn at Ellis River
Inn at Ellis River
#1 of 11 in Jackson

Been to Christmas Farm Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!