“Just what we Needed”

Ranked #5 of 13 Jackson B&B and Inns
Homer
“Just what we Needed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

My wife and I planned a winter stay in NH. It was cold and plenty of snow. Our stay at the Christmas Farm Inn was every thing that we planned for and more. The room was a delight, with a sitting room with gasfire place and a wonderful view. The suite was clean, well lit and very confortable. The food at the Inn was first class and the staff very pleasant. We came away planning for a return trip in the spring. We had a delightful time.

• Liked — The total setting
  • Disliked — No stand in the bathroom for our med. bag
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tjkaler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

My husband and I had visited Jackson, NH for our 2nd anniversary the weekend of Dec. 6. I had read really good dining reviews for this inn and it was really close to where we were staying so I made dinner reservations. My overall expectations were very high and I wanted everything to be perfect for our romantic getaway. We walked in and were told it would just be a little while before we were seated because they just finished up after a very large party. We waited patiently in the tiny bar area. An hour later, we were greeted by an obviously irate and disheveled waitress with a bad attitude and sloppy demeanor. The dining room was a mess and everything in disarray. They didn't have menu choices that were advertised on their website which we were looking forward to. Our drinks never came which was curious since the waitress was busier cleaning the tables around us than actually waiting on us. In the lack of ambiance and silent dining room all I could hear is all the other tables around us also complaining about the horrible service and lack of menu items. We both ordered filet mignon but I was worried that they would be just as bad as everything else and even worse for $30 each. Finally, we got strange tasting rolls and a pitiful salad, no drinks and by the time we finished our salads I was so mad, we got up and left before our food ever came! I have never walked out of any place ever but this place made me that angry. And needless to say I didn't feel bad or guilty one bit except for those poor filet mignon's. I refused to pay for the worst dining experience ever when I had such high hopes and they were absolutely ruined by this terrible place. Before the night was completely ruined we went to the Wildcat Tavern which was very good. I feel bad for the people who actually had to stay at this inn as well as the people who actually ended up sitting through an awful dinner when I knew they were probably praising us for our bravery to actually walk out. I will never return again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bostonianz
boston,ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

The Christmas Farm Inn is a great location for a family ski vacation. Black Mountain is almost within walking distance for downhill and there are cross country adjacent to the property. The friendly staff make for a very family friendly atmosphere. A hearty breakfast is included with your room fare - and there always seems to be complementary fresh (and warm) baked goods in a plate by the coffee dispenser - the cinnamon donuts are FANTASTIC - just like grandma used to bake. The dining room also does a very good job with dinner. Finally, after a day of skiing, don't forget to checkout the heated pool/jacuzis. A perfect way to end the day. A plug for Black Mountain - though smaller than nearby Attitash and Wildcat, the terrain is easy enough for beginners yet has something to offer for every level of skiier - and the price is right. Really a perfect family mountain. The Inn offers discounted tickets to Black which will save you $9/adult - worth taking advantage of.

• Liked — Proximity to both downhill and cross country skiing
  • Disliked — If you stay downstairs in the out buildings, noisy guests upstairs may be a obnoxious
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mrymtg
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

I felt like we paid a lot for just an OK experience.

We stayed in Carriage House 6, the wheelchair accessible room. The room was very wheelchair accessible (lower bed, easy access to the bathroom sink, fold down bench in the shower).

We really enjoyed our massages at the spa, and the breakfast which is included (delicious homemade doughnuts). We didn't like the fact the one of the remote controls in the room didn't have batteries and they never got replaced (although they said they would take care of it). I agree with the other reviews about getting around the property; I didn't like that we had to get in the car to go to the main lodge to eat. We didn't go to the pool because it was hard to access (you had to drive to it - it in not connected to the spa).

The people were friendly, but easily overwhelmed when they had a line of people or the phones were ringing. The main lodge had a large step I had to be hauled up - so I would say that it is NOT accessible (which was never mentioned to me when I booked the accessible room).

Overall, I had to remind myself that I was coming from the city, and probably had too high expectations of a room that cost $300 a night.

• Liked — The room was so warm (literally, the heat was up high!)
  • Disliked — Driving to get around the property
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
Washington, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

My Finace and I were trying to find somewhere we could just get-a-way and enjoy ourselves for our anniversary. I found the Christmas Farm Inn online just as a fluke and decided to look more into it. With everything their webstie and the New Hampshire Cronicle said about it, it looked like the perfect place for us.

I live in Washington MA (yes a hill town waaayyy out in the boonies hehe) and it took us 6 hours to get here, as we drove through a snow storm to do it. First of all, Jackson NH is GORGEOUS. All the scenic stops and resturants available to you, what a place a be. Its not much for shops (yes there was a strip or two of outlet stores and they had a mall) but it wasnt much of touristy shopping if you know what i mean. If you wanted to take home a piece of NH there wasnt much for pickings ^o^ ) None the less it was a beautiful ride through and we pictured ourselves enojying our 3 day get-a-way.

As we arrived around 4PM, we parked across the street and headed into the Main Inn. We stood at the front desk for almost 20 mins while one person was on the phone and the other person was just sitting there on the computer. Finally we were greated and checked in. To our suprise the only way to get the Carriage house, was this winding road with a steep incline. If you didnt have 4 wheel drive you werent going to make it. So we had to go back to the car grab our things and walk the whole way to the Carriage House. Once we got in our room was gorgeous. We stayed in Carriage House 7 (Seven Swans a Swimming) and we were very pleased. The bed was very comfortable, plenty of room to unpack and move around. The sitting room was lovely with the fireplace and we also had an extra blanket and pillows so we could cuddle in front of the fireplace. Wet bar was neat and tidy and the lights were perfect. The outside porch was cute and tidy, and the view was lovely. We really felt at home once we got into our room. However when we went to unpack our toilitries to our disspointment the only storage space was a glass shelf mounted on the wall behind the door. Barely any counter space on the sink and your only other option was behind the toilet. We opted to keep our things in our bags, and nightstands by our bed. And the shower was terrible. The shower head just trickled water, it didnt really do much of anything so we took baths most of the time.

After a walk around the grounds of the inn, it was clear there was no pathway to the pool area from the Carriage House. And seeing as we just got almost 3 feet of snow, we never got to expirience it. The grounds were not kept very well at all. As I mentiioned if you didnt have 4 wheel drive you couldnt get anywhere. Never looked they sanded the road at all (whcih was only one car length wide) We saw at least 2 people having to drive into snow banks because of an on coming car. For our first dinner there it was terrible. Your very limited on choices for food, and the menu never changes. So I would suggesting eating out from the Inn's resturant and stay away from the meal plan. Its $85 and what you are served is not worth it at all. Breakfast however was delicious. Juices, muffins, donughts, or some specialty was always served fresh. And again the menu never changed but the breakfasts were so delicious we didnt mind.

All in all, we had an excellent time. But most of our time was spent of the grounds of the hotel. We didnt want to eat there and we basically only slept there. Not worth the price we paid at all. We ended up staying Dec 20-23 and our total was 1300. Not worth that price at all. There are so many more places with much more to do like Nestle Nook or any of the ski resorts. Nestle Nook was our favorite however. There were plenty of things to do right on the Inn grounds such as a sleigh ride, snow shoeing and ice skating. So if you are going to spend your money in Jackson (Highly recommened) do not spend it at the Christmas Farm Inn.

• Liked — The time I got to spend with my Fiance
  • Disliked — Limited accessability and food choices
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Scotland, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

We actually had a really good time here. We stayed in Sleigh Cottage which was really quaint and the fireplace was lovely. It also had two large bedrooms and there was plenty of room for myself, my husband and two small children. Breakfasts were good, but the waitress was useless. Jason was far better. Portions a bit small and no substitutions. Much better when the buffet was on.
It would have been nice to have a christmas tree in the room too. We all loved the pool, escpecially the children but I must agree with other reviewers, the roads and paths were incredibly icy. I still have a massive bruise on my leg from when I slipped. We only ate in the restuarant once (for Christmas lunch) and it was very good. The mistletoe pub was good too although not open for long and the bar man unnecessarily asked us to leave on the last evening as my 18 month old boy was chatting loudly. (he said it would be more pleasant for everyone if he wasn't there, but we were in fact talking with another family with children in the pub at the time). Christopher on reception was good too, he helped us book lots of activities. My treatment in the spa was great although Charity on reception had a face like fizz and made us feel very unwelcome.
I probably wouldn't go back but we had a great Christmas all the same

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank h0neyy
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

We wanted to do something special for Christmas this year, and I spent a LONG time looking at lodging in one of our favorite areas: The White Mountains in New Hampshire. We have stayed at a variety of very good places that I would return but I found The Christmas Farm Inn online and thought what a perfect place to spend the holiday. The reviews on TripAdvisor were great, prior to several months ago when I now suspect from recent reviews that the property has new owners.

We splurged on this vacation, spending more than $300 a night for The Carriage House room #1. We stayed from December 23rd through the 26th. There was no special treatment whatsoever and the Inn had NO Christmas spirit of any kind. The staff were also very rude.

ROOM: Our room had a badly stained blind in the living room area, which looked like it was mold. The bathroom ceiling had a bad water stain and peeling wallpaper--all of which you wouldn't expect in a room at that price. We were surprised to learn that the fitness center and pool was virtually inaccessible. You had to park your car down the icy ill and make the treacherous journey to it. We went once and it wasn't worth it. When we arrived in the building we saw that the underwater light in the (very small) pool was hanging by a cord. A staff member was there at the time and when I asked her if she was aware of it, she said, "Yes, it happened several days ago, and they told us it was fine." Who "they" were was not clear. Her blase attitude showed no interest or concern. There is no way we were swimming there, particularly with our two-year-old son, who was very disappointed. We spent a couple minutes in the hot tub but you can't really let a young child sit in one very long. Some very loud noise--my husband thought it was the ice machine, I thought it was pipes--banged all night, making sleep difficult. The bathroom was nice but a bit dated and there is nothing but a thin shelf to put your toiletries on, which wasn't enough room to unpack anything.

CHRISTMAS SPIRIT: The Christmas Farm Inn's web site is very misleading. One of the things we were looking forward to was the reading of "Twas the Night before Christmas" in the main building on Christmas Eve based on the "Chronicle" film footage on the Inn's home page. When we tried finding out what time that would happen, it took hours for someone to finally tell us (we had to keep calling and checking the front desk--no one got back to us) that it wasn't planned and never was. However, the very rude staff person said that we were the third family to ask about it that night. Gee...wonder WHY? There were no personal touches that made the place seem warm and welcoming--could a note and a candy cane left in the room be too much?

DINING: We had planned our Christmas dinner in the Inn but after the first two days there we decided not to give them any more of our money and we were sure we'd be disappointed so we eat elsewhere (The Franconia Inn in Franconia, which was VERY nice--we wish we had stayed there!).

SUMMARY: We were very disappointed in our experience at The Christmas Farm Inn. We had a sleigh ride at Nestlenook Inn and walked that property and wished we had stayed there instead. That's another critical element of the Inn--there is NO way to walk the property in the winter as the passageways are only big enough for one car and are not even treated well. The walkway to the pool wasn't even shoveled or treated, again making walking very difficult. The whole lack of concern for guests' well-being and happiness was befuddling. Even the fact that when our room was cleaned each day the foldaway bed was not put away, which seemed strange--the little details and niceties were completely missing. We love Jackson and the area but we will not be returning to the Christmas Farm Inn. Spend your money elsewhere!

• Liked — The area--Jackson, NH is beautiful.
  • Disliked — The Inn itself! Overpriced and under-welcoming.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank MrsMommyMac
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Wentworth
#5 of 12 in Bartlett
Snowflake Inn
Snowflake Inn
#2 of 13 in Jackson

Been to Christmas Farm Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!