“Bad service before we got there - cancelled reservations.”

Christmas Farm Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 11 Jackson B&B and Inns
ma
“Bad service before we got there - cancelled reservations.”
Reviewed 11 September 2009

So, here we go. I find the bad reviews very easy to believe. Let me say this: my impression was so bad over the phone I cancelled my stay. We initially made reservations for Sept. in July. The guy we spoke with (Dave) was nice, knowledgable and helpful. Breakfast was included. We mentioned we were looking forward to the restaurant. We were excited about our first vacation in four years. Flash forward to a week and a half before our reservations. I called about spa reservations. First phone call in the morning: (after about 10 rings) would I call back? They were having a radio promotion and were swamped. Here's my name and number, please call me back. Hours later, no call. Second call: overwhelmed, frustrated woman (Sherry). Well, could I repeat my whole story, they were having a shift change and it was crazy. Spa? I can't help you, they're separate and you'd have to talk to them. Dietary needs? That's the restaurant, you'd have to talk to them, but they're going to be closed. What?? It turns out she's been there less than a month; that exchange ends with her telling me I don't need to cop an attitude. So, apparently, the restaurant will be closed until the day we leave, and then only open on the weekends until October. I call my husband, who also has a bad feeling about this. I check the website, no mention of the restaurant being open only certain times of the year. Third call: could I speak to the general manager? I'm transfered. 10 rings, no voice mail. I call back to find out well, their voice mail is down, any other manager? Front Desk manager is busy. You get the picture. One or two more calls later, I get the front desk manager, and he is completely unapologetic and dripping with a level of snootiness and snobbery worthy of the finest Parisian resorts. But this is NH. The website doesn't have this information because it was just decided by the general manager last week. If it doesn't pay them to have it open, they're going to close it. But they'll have breakfast. What it is will depend on how busy they are. Now, nothing says "financial problems" more than an undertrained staff and closing down your restaurant with less than a week's notice for a few weeks. Nothing says "organizational problems" more than not updating your website by saying the restaurant you're touting will be closed, and not knowing what your restaurant is doing for breakfast (when you're offering it for packages) two weeks ahead of time. We cancelled.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank epenniman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We visited the Christmas Farm Inn for two nights during the month of July. We were taking advantage of their Last Minute Elves special, where two night and breakfasts were $238. We stayed in the Carriage House and thought the value for this offer was spectacular. We enjoyed our room with the beautiful balcony, living room and large bathroom. A bubble bath in the giant jacuzzi tub capped off a perfect day of exploring the White Mountains. We used the indoor pool because it was closest to our room, the outdoor pool was down the hill and across the street. It would be nice if they added a property map to their website so you can understand the layout of the place before you get there. One thing I would be a little wary of might be the windy little road to the Carriage House and cottages during the winter. It is steep and winding and I can't imagine going up there during the icy season.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank kandc
Maine
Reviewed 30 June 2009

e stayed in "The Barn" with our 2 children. The room was clean but that didn't make up for the all around disrepair of the rooms. The bathroom walls were moldy, the grout between the tiles on the floor was crumbled, toilet crooked, etc. Essentially the last bathroom renovation this place has seen must have been in the 1980's. For $340/night - that's just unacceptable. The staff were perfectly pleasant and the room was at least clean but we were hugely disappointed considering what we had paid to stay there. The breakfast was just not great. The "homemade" muffins were clearly not homemade or fresh, the omelette was horrible, and the wait staff were a bit clueless (although still very nice). Clearly there has been no money invested in this Inn and it shows. The restaurant is right out of "Kitchen Nightmares"...

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank lutefiskMaine
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We were only here for one night and it is a very quaint place. My parents stayed in a large room by the spa and it was gorgeous - balcony, fireplace, etc. We stayed in a cheaper room near the main inn. Our room was large but it had a small bathroom and a small TV. I thought it was like staying in a B&B. We ate at the inn for dinner and for breakfast and the food is delicious and the service was very good. Everyone who worked there was very personable.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We stayed for a weekend at the Christmas Farm Inn, and it was absolutely lovely, starting with our making reservations with Jim, who was extra nice, and helped us pick the perfect room! We stayed in the North Star Room, #19, and it was really big, with a king size bed, and a nice bathroom. It was perfectly quiet. The breakfasts were awesome, DELICIOUS homemade donuts, and yummy Eggs Benedict! The place is really big, with lots of other little interesting buidlings on the property. The building with the new pool and hot tubs was great for after skiing. We plan to go back in the summer and do some biking in the area. What a great little town, and there is an outdoor pool for the summer too! Can't wait for our return!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 13 March 2009

Jackson is a a little far away (about 8 hours) but worth every second we sit in traffic getting off Long Island. From the minute you cross under the covered bridge (which is best when lit up at night) until you hit the highway on the way home, its like you are in a different world. The Christmas Farm Inn has such a friendly atmosphere it makes you forget about all the morons in the world! (sorry if offensive) My boyfriend and i stayed in a Carriage House Suite. The room is like a mini apartment. a jacuzzi bath tub which is much needed after skiing, a spacious living room, with an electric fireplace, and a mini fridge. Then in the bedroom, there is a huge bed and a TV. What more can there be to make a "hotel room" more luxurious?? Possibly the view out the back door which leads out to a balcony (with a great view of Mount Washington).
For breakfast, you don't have to go far, just down the road to the Main Inn. For lunches and dinner there are plenty of places to eat. We did not have a bad meal once. As this was our second trip to the Christmas Farm, we wanted to try new places, we were stuck on ideas to eat. The staff was very helpful in recommending plaes for us to eat.
There is also never a dull moment in Jackson. Between the alpine skiing (personal favorite is Cranmore), tubing, shopping (in North Conway), snow mobiling, dog sledding, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, guided tour up Mount Washington, ice skating (Nestlenook farms) sleigh rides (Nestlenook Farms) and of course you can't forget the SPA right on the Christmas Farm property. There are enough attractions to keep you busy that you simply can't fit them all into just one visit.
My stay at the Christmas Farm Inn was one of the best vacation experiences I have had. I would highly recommend this to friends, family and anyone who enjoys cold weather vacations! I can't wait to visit in the summer to see the activities that aren't covered in snow!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 15 February 2009

Change is the milestone of growth, and this long lived Inn has grown substantially since my first visit.
Sure, a new building and modern decor yield a predictable, if uneventful, stay. But it is the places which have grown over time, In Spite of Time, that provide memories...
I'm sure Christmas Farm Inn was "Out of the way" and "Off the beaten path" from it's inception, but that remains the reason to visit it today. It is interesting to see their arrangement of accommodations in one spot, from the Modern suites up on the hill, overlooking the mountains and close to the spa and pool house, to the "olde" farm house conjoined with the old jail and old church at the entry to the campus style property. Time has marched on and this Inn has grown with grace. Sure, it is an old place in parts, delightfully aged, and withstanding New Hampshire's extreme weather swings adds to it's charm. Not an easy thing to fake...
Hospitality is a profession, not a day job... I found the staff personally focused and warmly receptive. While there have been the inevitable changes, the pleasantries have increased. The quality of greeting around the front desk and in the dining room, are only exceeded by the Special Event attention, I am told... There was much talk of the events surrounding a recent wedding...
I have found the staff's willingness to respond to my requests on the last couple of visits to be engaging... bordering on indulgent...
The restaurant is delightful, though small enough to modify the menu on occasion, an appreciated flexibility for this "dietary challenged" traveler...
These people offer an experience unlike most hotel stays, and I'll be returning, soon...

• Liked — Variety of scenery, variety of architecture
  • Disliked — Steep driveways and walkways
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
Snowflake Inn
Snowflake Inn
#2 of 11 in Jackson

Been to Christmas Farm Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!