“Should be out of business!!”

Christmas Farm Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 11 Jackson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2009

I can’t add much to the other bad reviews because we never made it past the idiot working the front desk to check in. We tried to book our spa appointments several times in the week before our stay but were told each time that the staff was too busy to help and would call back. Of course they never did. When we tried to check on the status when we checked in the desk attendant became discourteous and hostile towards us. I have stayed in many inn’s and hotels around the world but I have never been treated as poorly as I was here. Even at the risk of losing our deposit we decided not to stay here. When I talked to Dennis the owner several days latter it became apparent that he had trained this guy in customer relations because he was just as condescending and rude. If this place is not on its way to going out of business then it should be. DO NOT STAY AT THE XMAS FARM INN!! There are many other alternatives in Jackson where you will be treated like they want your business

2  Thank lt231
northpoleelves, Manager at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2009

I am deeply sorry your experience was so negative. The spa and the front desk attempted to contact you multiple times prior to your arrival. The phone number that we were given as your preferred form of contact was out of service. The spa and the front desk both tried to contact you multiple times.
When you arrived I had the luck of getting to witness the exchange between you and the front desk manager. The front desk manager tried to explain and was not given a chance to respond.

There are newer reviews for Christmas Farm Inn & Spa

Reviewed 13 October 2009

Well, where do I begin? My wife and I stayed in the Salt Box for the 3 day weekend of Columbus Day. It was our seventh stay at this inn. Upon arrival, for those previous guests, the beautiful Christmas lights and decorations that once adorned the front of the main bldg.(as seen on the web site) and represented its namesake are gone and replaced with a yellow banner stating new ownership. The decorations that once were scattered about the lobby, den and dining room are also gone. The lady who handed cookies to your children at arrival is gone along with the cookies and smiles.
When we booked the reservation, the operator bragged that the price included a full menu breakfast unlike the buffet offered by the old owners. Quess what, breakfast was a buffet and not as nice as it used to be. The delicious on premises baked scones and muffins were replaced with obviously store bought. Oh yes, the baker is also gone. Even toast was nowhere to be seen nor was it offered by any of the wait staff.
When we entered our room at about 4PM, the heat was not working. We notified the front desk. After returning from dinner, the heat was still not working. We notified (another person) the front desk. At about 8PM some employee turned on the AC. So not only were we without heat, we now had frigid air blowing through the ceiling vents. By morning we informed the maids and the front desk again.(different person) I asked him to keep me in the loop as to providing our room with heat.(never done) By late afternoon on the second day still without heat, I became frustrated and spoke with the desk and a man who Identified himself as Dennis the general manager. He said he tried to fix the problem, but did not know how and could not. He said he was from Miami, and that is generally not a problem there.. He did, however, deliver a portable quartz heater that provided some heat but not enough to make the room comfortable. He joked that if I drank a couple of brandys, I would sleep nicely.
Our three night stay was without heat and when I checked out, not a word was said by the clerk who was aware of the whole situation. We were not even offered an apology. We recieved no adjustment on our bill nor were we comped anything, not even a CFI coffee mug.
For those who have stayed there before and are thinking about returning, you will be disappointed. For those looking for a place to stay in Jackson for the first time, there are other very nice Inns in the area that are more accomodating and charming. If warmth is what you're looking for,( both in temperture and appeal) stay elsewhere!

4  Thank captainRI
Reviewed 11 October 2009

First the staff was all very pleasant and our room and the inn were very clean. That is all the good. Our room #4 had huge water stains over the bed. The TV is so small it was useless to have it on except for the voice - not that we stayed in the room much but if we were inclined to stay in and just relax a book would be better. The jacuzzi was nice. but it is not set up for 2 to sit incomfortably because of where the faucet is located. Yes, you could sit at the other end ifyou wanted your feet to receive the massage instead of your back and shoulders. The chairs in the room are not the comfy type and there is no ottoman for your feet so lying in bed is better. The food was awful. We were here 4 nights. After our first dinner we never ate there again. The dinner rolls were tasteless and the butter tasted like the freezer. The ceasers salad and onion soup were okay (but not the bread in the soup) but the main meal a seafood medly over linguine dish (we shared) was huge with plenty of mussels and clams but it was bland and the shrimp and scallops were overcooked. In addition they wanted to charge a "plate charge" of $5.00 and we were guests. We made a comment and the server quickly responded that there would not be an extra charge. They don't make their desserts on the premises except for the apple crisp with ice cream. Eat the ice cream which was excellent and pass on the calories from the crisp - the apples were dry and almost dehydrated and the crisp was not tasty. The morning breakfast buffet was awful. The french toast to me was mushy thin store bought white bread without flavor, the eggs were clearly our of a box as we went down as soon as they opened and they were dense greyish and sitting in liquid. The fried potatoes where just chunks of fried potato without onions or anything else, the bacon was good, I didn't have the sausage nor the oatmeal. they did have some dry cereal. The pastries were also clearly not homemade. The chocolate chip scones were like a hockey puck. We thought Sunday buffet would be better but the only addition was the above scones. The wait staff pleasant and solicitous. Even though breakfast was included with the room we opted to go elsewhere for breakfast the nextg day. In reading another review from June they talked about eggs benedict and wonderful omeletes. Was this really the same place, because this stay absolutely didn't reflect an Inn dining experience. The other thing is that unless you sit way on the other side of the room there is music blaring out of the speaker that is not to everyone's liking. The furniture is tired. The sitting room with the fireplace is sparse and uncomfortable as well as uninviitng. The only thing going for it is the fireplace so we didn't use it. A part of the inn experience is to enjoy tea/hot chocolate or coffee with some cookies or snacks in the afternoon. Not here, they don't offer it. They just put out a thermous for coffee or tea during the time the front desk is open. The inn expereince of sharing with others, comfy common sitting area to sit in and read, talk with other guests or watch a fire and "family" centered hospitality with great home cooked food is completely unavailable here, so if that is your expectation this is not the place to go. While I think this inn is less than average it is not terrible, but I surely will not return nor can I recommend it to others.

4  Thank ontheroadduo
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Definitely not for the "standard issue" types. Every room and building is different, the Main Inn is everything a great New England hospitality place has to offer. I was there when Congressman Zeliff owned it, and heard it has been undermaintained since then. New owners are obviously putting a ton of money into upgrades - a once great venue returns!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Augosto
Reviewed 11 September 2009

So, here we go. I find the bad reviews very easy to believe. Let me say this: my impression was so bad over the phone I cancelled my stay. We initially made reservations for Sept. in July. The guy we spoke with (Dave) was nice, knowledgable and helpful. Breakfast was included. We mentioned we were looking forward to the restaurant. We were excited about our first vacation in four years. Flash forward to a week and a half before our reservations. I called about spa reservations. First phone call in the morning: (after about 10 rings) would I call back? They were having a radio promotion and were swamped. Here's my name and number, please call me back. Hours later, no call. Second call: overwhelmed, frustrated woman (Sherry). Well, could I repeat my whole story, they were having a shift change and it was crazy. Spa? I can't help you, they're separate and you'd have to talk to them. Dietary needs? That's the restaurant, you'd have to talk to them, but they're going to be closed. What?? It turns out she's been there less than a month; that exchange ends with her telling me I don't need to cop an attitude. So, apparently, the restaurant will be closed until the day we leave, and then only open on the weekends until October. I call my husband, who also has a bad feeling about this. I check the website, no mention of the restaurant being open only certain times of the year. Third call: could I speak to the general manager? I'm transfered. 10 rings, no voice mail. I call back to find out well, their voice mail is down, any other manager? Front Desk manager is busy. You get the picture. One or two more calls later, I get the front desk manager, and he is completely unapologetic and dripping with a level of snootiness and snobbery worthy of the finest Parisian resorts. But this is NH. The website doesn't have this information because it was just decided by the general manager last week. If it doesn't pay them to have it open, they're going to close it. But they'll have breakfast. What it is will depend on how busy they are. Now, nothing says "financial problems" more than an undertrained staff and closing down your restaurant with less than a week's notice for a few weeks. Nothing says "organizational problems" more than not updating your website by saying the restaurant you're touting will be closed, and not knowing what your restaurant is doing for breakfast (when you're offering it for packages) two weeks ahead of time. We cancelled.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank epenniman
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We visited the Christmas Farm Inn for two nights during the month of July. We were taking advantage of their Last Minute Elves special, where two night and breakfasts were $238. We stayed in the Carriage House and thought the value for this offer was spectacular. We enjoyed our room with the beautiful balcony, living room and large bathroom. A bubble bath in the giant jacuzzi tub capped off a perfect day of exploring the White Mountains. We used the indoor pool because it was closest to our room, the outdoor pool was down the hill and across the street. It would be nice if they added a property map to their website so you can understand the layout of the place before you get there. One thing I would be a little wary of might be the windy little road to the Carriage House and cottages during the winter. It is steep and winding and I can't imagine going up there during the icy season.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank kandc
Reviewed 30 June 2009

e stayed in "The Barn" with our 2 children. The room was clean but that didn't make up for the all around disrepair of the rooms. The bathroom walls were moldy, the grout between the tiles on the floor was crumbled, toilet crooked, etc. Essentially the last bathroom renovation this place has seen must have been in the 1980's. For $340/night - that's just unacceptable. The staff were perfectly pleasant and the room was at least clean but we were hugely disappointed considering what we had paid to stay there. The breakfast was just not great. The "homemade" muffins were clearly not homemade or fresh, the omelette was horrible, and the wait staff were a bit clueless (although still very nice). Clearly there has been no money invested in this Inn and it shows. The restaurant is right out of "Kitchen Nightmares"...

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank lutefiskMaine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
#4 of 12 in Bartlett
Snowflake Inn
Snowflake Inn
#2 of 11 in Jackson

Been to Christmas Farm Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!