“Romantic Getaway-So glad we didn't listen to the other reviews!”

Christmas Farm Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 13 Jackson B&B and Inns
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
“Romantic Getaway-So glad we didn't listen to the other reviews!”
Reviewed 24 December 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at The Christmas Farm Inn for our one year wedding anniversary. We were a little nervous about going after reading some of these not so shiny reviews, but figured we would try it out anyway: We are so glad we did! The front desk staff were very kind and helpful. They allowed us to check in 3 hours prior to check in time.We stayed in the Carriage House which was all done up for the Christmas season. It had a beautiful, huge fireplace in the main sitting area with 2 Christmas trees lit up. The bannisters to the staircase were garnished with fresh garland and ribbons. It truly captured the holiday season. Our suite had two rooms, one of which had a cozy little fireplace. We also had a balcony overlooking the property. My husband and I also tried out the spa which was a very relaxing experience. The spa staff were extremely cordial and professional. They were even kind enough to stay a little late so we could use the steam room. I can't comment on the food for we did not eat there. We have some favorite places we like to hit when in the area. Overall we had a very romantic, relaxing time and would definitely visit again!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
ma
Reviewed 9 December 2009

after paying close to $1,100.00 for 2 adults 2 children for 2 nights , breakfast and polar express what a disappointment.
I thought $1,100.00 would get you something. what it got us was promised magician and santa the night before the experience but that was cancelled. A room that was called quaint i would call it old, in much need of renovation and no sound barrier. A free breakfast?? the second day we paid to eat somewhere else because the eggs were so bad. The polar express was great though and the location the same. We were told it was just taken back by the old management who was disappointed by the people who recently bought it not quite sure if that is true but look into it before you spend lots of money for the place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank thebumpers
123christmas, Manager at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 18 December 2009
The Christmas Farm Inn and Spa is an historic property located in the White Mountains. We have accommodations to meet all budgets in a variety of settings from the main Inn circa 1770's to the more modern Carriage House and Spa facility. As of December 1, 2009, ownership/management has changed and we regret any promises that were made by prior management that were not fulfilled. New management is committed to ensure all guests receive the best experience. We contacted this guest and resolved their complaint to their satisfaction.
massachusetts
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I am SOOO glad that I hadn't recommended this place to someone else. After numerous wonderful times at the inn, we were sadly disappointed to return and see how much the inn has gone downhill. It is in disrepair, unclean, unfriendly, no breakfasts (on the weekend we were there), so so dinner experience. I could go on and on but basically I am in agreement with the previous reviews. I would NOT recommend the inn to anyone and I will not be back. The old charm, friendliness, cleanliness and delicious food is gone :( Santa would be sadly disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oceanrefuge
Jackson, NH
Reviewed 28 October 2009

We had a gift certificate to the restaurant and made reservation for 7:30pm. We showed up on time and two young women were waiting to be seated before us. The host asked if they had reservations. They didn't, but he smiled curtiously and showed them to a table. He returned asked if we had reservations, we told him we did and he said it was a 15 or 20 minute wait even though we were looking at an empty table all set with glasses, plates, napkins for four. I asked about the previous two guests being seated immediately even though they didn't have reservations and the guy obviously felt challenged, he just stiffened up and said "15 to 20 minute wait". Ya, okay, we went into the bar. We were finally seated and the meal was okay, but I got pretty sick afterwards. Recommendation - find someplace else to eat.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank BadaBing73
Boston
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Stayed there with my family over the Columbus Day weekend in a very nice room in the main building. This was our first visit to Christmas Farm Inn so we had no expectations as to what we could or should expect. The place is under new ownership so we could see changes that were evident throughout the property. The small bar/lounge/tavern was not quite ready for guests but we found it cozy and comfortable and we were treated to a very nice bruschetta with our wine,

Unfortunately the restaurant did not measure up to what we had thought would be a wonderful dining experience. The table linens were wrinkled and not in keeping with the caliber of restaurant that the prices of the entrees reflected. We ordered wine before dinner and shortly thereafter we were besieged with an army of fruit flies that insisted on sharing our California chard with us! I managed to trap on of the buggers while he was sipping in my glass. I showed my waitress who appeared surprised but not overly dismayed. She gracefully replaced my drink with another. However that did not stop the hordes of his friends and relatives from redoubling their efforts to destroy the dining experience here. We both ordered the Chicken Picatta for our entree and it was the most tastless dish I've had in a very long time certainally not reflective of the quality one would expect from a $20 entree. The chicken had little flavor and the sauce was bland and lifeless, needless to say neither of us finished our entrees. By the tine dinner was over there were no fewer than seven more fruit flies reposing in my wine glass. Service was slow and our 15% tip reflected our dismay with the whole affair. Upon checking out we advised the front desk of our dismay with dinner the evening before but it appeared that our concerns were falling on ears that had had just about enough complaints for one weekend and we were apologized to for the horrible dinner and that "the chef would be alerted" as tp the fruit fly problem in the dining room.

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank cyperboy12
Mass
Reviewed 22 October 2009

I can’t add much to the other bad reviews because we never made it past the idiot working the front desk to check in. We tried to book our spa appointments several times in the week before our stay but were told each time that the staff was too busy to help and would call back. Of course they never did. When we tried to check on the status when we checked in the desk attendant became discourteous and hostile towards us. I have stayed in many inn’s and hotels around the world but I have never been treated as poorly as I was here. Even at the risk of losing our deposit we decided not to stay here. When I talked to Dennis the owner several days latter it became apparent that he had trained this guy in customer relations because he was just as condescending and rude. If this place is not on its way to going out of business then it should be. DO NOT STAY AT THE XMAS FARM INN!! There are many other alternatives in Jackson where you will be treated like they want your business

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lt231
northpoleelves, Manager at Christmas Farm Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 11 November 2009
I am deeply sorry your experience was so negative. The spa and the front desk attempted to contact you multiple times prior to your arrival. The phone number that we were given as your preferred form of contact was out of service. The spa and the front desk both tried to contact you multiple times.
When you arrived I had the luck of getting to witness the exchange between you and the front desk manager. The front desk manager tried to explain and was not given a chance to respond.
RI
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Well, where do I begin? My wife and I stayed in the Salt Box for the 3 day weekend of Columbus Day. It was our seventh stay at this inn. Upon arrival, for those previous guests, the beautiful Christmas lights and decorations that once adorned the front of the main bldg.(as seen on the web site) and represented its namesake are gone and replaced with a yellow banner stating new ownership. The decorations that once were scattered about the lobby, den and dining room are also gone. The lady who handed cookies to your children at arrival is gone along with the cookies and smiles.
When we booked the reservation, the operator bragged that the price included a full menu breakfast unlike the buffet offered by the old owners. Quess what, breakfast was a buffet and not as nice as it used to be. The delicious on premises baked scones and muffins were replaced with obviously store bought. Oh yes, the baker is also gone. Even toast was nowhere to be seen nor was it offered by any of the wait staff.
When we entered our room at about 4PM, the heat was not working. We notified the front desk. After returning from dinner, the heat was still not working. We notified (another person) the front desk. At about 8PM some employee turned on the AC. So not only were we without heat, we now had frigid air blowing through the ceiling vents. By morning we informed the maids and the front desk again.(different person) I asked him to keep me in the loop as to providing our room with heat.(never done) By late afternoon on the second day still without heat, I became frustrated and spoke with the desk and a man who Identified himself as Dennis the general manager. He said he tried to fix the problem, but did not know how and could not. He said he was from Miami, and that is generally not a problem there.. He did, however, deliver a portable quartz heater that provided some heat but not enough to make the room comfortable. He joked that if I drank a couple of brandys, I would sleep nicely.
Our three night stay was without heat and when I checked out, not a word was said by the clerk who was aware of the whole situation. We were not even offered an apology. We recieved no adjustment on our bill nor were we comped anything, not even a CFI coffee mug.
For those who have stayed there before and are thinking about returning, you will be disappointed. For those looking for a place to stay in Jackson for the first time, there are other very nice Inns in the area that are more accomodating and charming. If warmth is what you're looking for,( both in temperture and appeal) stay elsewhere!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank captainRI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Wentworth
#4 of 12 in Bartlett
Snowflake Inn
Snowflake Inn
#2 of 13 in Jackson

Been to Christmas Farm Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!