“DON'T DO IT...”

Ranked #8 of 11 Jackson B&B and Inns
Oakdale, Connecticut
“DON'T DO IT...”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I overheard them describing themselves on the phone as a “ski lodge with attitude”, I do think that they got the attitude part right! I would never recommend traveling here and would suggest saving your money. I would have suggested you stay at their sister location… however I was informed by the Wildcat staff “They have ants too!”

PRO’S:
Price was good
Food was good
Service in tavern was good
Allows pets

CON’S:
Very poor customer service, inn staff was VERY rude
No amenities that you would expect like air (it was very early in the season for air so we understand that it was not yet installed, however a nice fan or screens in all of the windows would have been helpful)
$30.00 per night for your pet to stay
Ant infestation
Poor water pressure
Bathroom could have been cleaner
13” TV was blurry and remote didn’t work

Room Tip: A good room would be in another establishment
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
conway nh
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Happy we avoided this place. We are to attend a function at the Jackson library and were looking for a nice place to have supper beforehand. Obviously, this is not the place.

Room Tip: Glad to receive your reviews. They saved us about $40 for a Wednesday night dinner and a disappointi...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Gales Ferry, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We generally go up to Jackson, NH once a year and happened to choose Wildcat this time because of their special offers. Perfect location for XX skiers and snowshoers. Downhill skiers have slopes within minutes of the inn. We took their word for it and settled on a room away from the bar and restaurant. We had nice views of an inn across the street and the quaint area from our windows on the third floor. Our room had a private bath (although small), several windows, great ventilation, a separate sitting area with TV, and a comfortable bed. It is an old inn, so don't expect an elevator. Access to the room from the parking lot was easy. We were not expecting record breaking temps when we stayed (mid March 2012), but even with temps hitting around 80 degrees, the soft breeze kept the room very comfortable. With the lack of snow due to the mild season, we opted for hiking which abounds in that area of the White Mountains. The staff treats you like family during dinner or when you happen to be coming and going.

Room Tip: Third floor away from the bar unless you close the bar down. Then the closer to the bar the better.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill D
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Ok, so the heat made some noise. It's an old place and I knew that beforehand. It's to be expected. It was really no big deal, the heat at my house makes more noise. It was clean and quaint. On site restaurant, pretty grounds. Only thing is that I didn't actually see anyone at the desk checking in or out (we were there simply overnight and checked in late and out early) but our information was waiting for us and if I had questions the staff around the hotel were helpful.

• Stayed September 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I want to preface this review that I have worked in a boutique hotel for over five years. I understand the in's and out's of cancellations, room changes, late arrivals etc. I get it. I'm not THAT guest who complains...ever.

I had booked a trip to the Wildcat Inn in July of 2011. As a kid, my parents would take us to Jackson, NH all the time and I really was excited to go back in February 2012 for a ski weekend. The room was booked, everything was in order but unfortunately a few weeks before my stay I was hit with a financial burden which caused me to contact the hotel and cancel my stay.

Like my trip confirmation mentions from them, all they ask is that I contact them before my stay to alert them of any cancellations, which I did. In fact, I emailed them on January 24th, 2012 - 11 days before my stay alerting them I needed to cancel. I promptly received an e-mail back from Sheryl that this wasn't a problem and she was sorry to hear I had to cancel.

When I booked my stay, I was living in NYC at the time and have since moved back to Boston. I explained to Sheryl that this was the situation and the card I had originally booked my trip with was now null-and-void as I have switched banks and am requesting my refund of my deposit via check mailed to my new address. Again, Sheryl was complaint and said this wasn't going to be a problem and I will receive a check within 7-10 days. This reply came by way on January 25th.

Today is February 10th, 16 days since I've received a response. I have been in contact with the hotel 3 times and was told yesterday that the owner would look into this matter and get back to me in the afternoon. Still nothing.

I understand stuff happens and things get looked over, I get it...BUT...It doesn't take 16 days to get a check to Boston from New Hampshire. This is unacceptable.

Like I mentioned before, I'm not someone who ever complains and I always give places the benefit of the doubt, but this is truly unacceptable. When it takes you no time at all to TAKE my money thats one thing, but after several attempts to get my money returned to me, it's a whole other situation.

The hotel looks nice and the staff seemed great, I just think they need to get their act together and communicate as a team and make sure they relay their information to their potential guests. I was truly looking forward to staying at the Wildcat, but don't think that's going to be the case in the future. Perhaps I'll pop in for a drink at the tavern but will spend my money elsewhere for lodging.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Winchester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Somehow the combination of a big pub and guest rooms just doesn't come off as a comfortable experience to me. The rooms (we had 2) were dated New England style and a bit cramped. Things were clean, but old. The food in the pub was well, average pub food. I suppose this is a good place to crash for the night but I wouldn't want to plan an extended stay here,

Room Tip: We didn't have issues with noise from the pub but other do - see if you can pick a good spot. Th...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 6 January 2012

In the nearly forty years of coming to Jackson, we have never had a chance to stay at the Wildcat Inn portion of the Tavern. The restaurant and Pub have had great days and some lesser ones, but generally well worth an occasional meal or drink. The place does seem to buzz during ski season. The rooms at the Inn are quaint and the bed comfortable and once we got the steam heat figured out, the room was comfortable. The challenge are the thin walls and creaky doors and on the nights the Pub has a band, plan to listen and enjoy from the rooms. We would stay again because of its location and Tavern, but would be pressed to recommend to any one. It has the potential to be great, with the town and location, but that will require a significant investment?

Room Tip: Stay on the restaurant side, away from the Tavern/Pub. There are nights the bands do not play.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Lodge at Bretton Woods
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club
Top Notch Inn
Top Notch Inn
#1 of 7 in Gorham

Been to Wildcat Inn & Tavern? Share your experiences!