“A Special Place”
Review of Inn at Ellis River

Inn at Ellis River
Ranked #1 of 11 Jackson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 April 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The location was idyllic. Prettily situated beside the Ellis River, it was very quiet and yet an easy walking distance to the centre of Jackson (and the covered bridge). Frank and Lyn Norris greeted us with such warmth and helped carry our luggage up to our room. The rooms aren’t big, but are certainly beautifully decorated, appointed and very clean. We especially like the fireplace in the rooms and loved the ambiance it provided. As we were visiting during the busy autumn time, we had the pleasure of staying in two rooms, the Nancy Cascade and the Arethusa Falls which were both lovely, though the Nancy Cascade is smaller. The pretty bathrooms were on the small side and the hand basin was in the room which we found was great if someone just wanted to clean their teeth while the another person was using the bathroom – no waiting. The home cooked breakfasts were delicious and the afternoon treat of freshly baked cookies was eagerly awaited. After the days adventures, we enjoyed spending time in the bar/billiard room with its open fire and friendly banter between the guests. All the staff we meet during our stay were so welcoming and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble, you had only to ask. Frank and Lyn Norris provide a home away from home for all their guests and we loved chatting to the Innkeeper, Christine, with her sense of fun and good humour and who never tires making sure that her guests are having an enjoyable stay. There was a feeling of family here, especially as we were there when the Inn was setting up its entry into the area’s Halloween display competition. We would come back late at night to find the staff still working under lights to set up their Cinderella scene. Such wonderful memories.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 March 2011

The team at the Ellis River House are astute scholars of hospitality. The Inn provides a tranquil romantic atmosphere perfectly situated in the White Mountains. The way the Inn Keepers attend to our needs is just the prescription we needed to recharge our battery after this long winter. The only complaint is that our trip was not long enough. This is our 7th visit to the Inn and we feel as if the Inn has become an extension of our family. We have been too many places over the years but the Inn at Ellis River is by far the greatest.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Place was great can't wait to go back. Very clean and very friendly people they had a great breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

The Inn was absolutely beautiful. I can honestly say it's the cleanest place I have ever stayed. Our room was immaculate. It was comfortable, peaceful, and had a gorgeous view of the mountains. We loved the fireplace, and used it every night. The breakfast was fantastic! Everything was home made and delicious. In the afternoon, there was hot cider and cookies. We looked forward to coming back and relaxing every afternoon. We had dinner at the White Mountain Cider Co. as part of our package. The food was deliciously different, and what a cozy atmosphere the restaurant had. We had dinner at several other places, but this was the best. The Inn Keeper's were the nicest people. We enjoyed meeting them and sharing conversation. Leaving was the hardest part! We had a wonderful stay, and will definitely return this summer or fall. I highly recommend this Inn to anyone looking for a peaceful retreat, or romantic get away.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Happycouple49
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I stayed for several days in the Sabbaday Falls Room and absolutely LOVED IT! The accomodations were incredibly comfortable and the view from the third floor window in the mornings was breathtaking. And thank goodness I was on the third floor as it gave me a chance to work off some of the fabulous breakfasts and afternoon COOKIES!!! The innkeepers and their staff certainly made sure I was properly fueled for the day. Speaking of which, they were all so wonderful to deal with: companionable and competant without being "corporate nice" (anyone who's stayed in a chain hotel knows the difference). They were having a good day and wanted to make sure I was too (even when it rained). I loved the Inn and I loved the area and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2011

I stayed for two nights at a cottage which sported a jacuzzi and a fireplace, two necessities of mine for what I hoped would be a relaxing stay. I think the experience taught me that while an inn can be exceptional in its own right, it may not be suitable for everyone. However, I found the main building to be spotless, lavishly decorated, and QUIET. If you want a B&B all to yourself, coming here right after a major holiday (such as Valentine's) will be your best bet. It was as quiet as a library, and due to the decor, it sometimes felt like one too. The breakfast menu isn't very diverse compared to full blown restaurants, but still rather tasty and delicious.

However, I would recommend staying at a room in the main building rather than the cottage/cottages. Mine was strangely and awkwardly designed, with a spiral stairwell that was so narrow I felt like I was climbing into an attic rather than what was actually the bedroom. The fireplace is not gas or electric and thus requires the use of a log that dies out after about 3 hours. Electrical outlets were in inconvenient locations, making it difficult to plug my MacBook or iPod stereo in. The bathroom was also extremely cramped, almost banged my head on the sink several times just from sitting down to use the john.

When using the jacuzzi, I actually had to place my stereo on the stairwell to listen to my music, and the line of sight to the TV was also blocked, so that was out as well. I also like to sleep in complete darkness, but the patio doors in front of my bed are covered by blinds of very light density, so much of the light still seeps through, making it harder to sleep than usual. Both mornings I woke up to an unusual sewage-type odor that seemed to permeate the cottage like demonic presence before it eventually dissipated. Very odd.

The wifi was also spotty at best, even in the main building while I was sitting by the fireplace I could not connect to save my own life, yet sitting on the second floor in my cottage seemed to yield better results. Still, the wifi came and went like the wind.

Overall, it just seemed like nothing about this cottage/inn was designed with my comfort in mind, which is why I say, despite an inn or B&B being excellent in every respect, it may not always be a good fit for certain types of people. I'm confident though that it compares very well with other inns in the area such as the Christmas Farm Inn and the Snowflake.

As for me though, I'll stick to the Hilton from now on. :-D

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
InnAtEllisRiver, Owner at Inn at Ellis River, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We wish that you had mentioned any of your concerns during your stay, as we would have done our best to address them, including moving you to accommodations in the main inn. When you were making your initial reservation, we suggested several alternative rooms, but you indicated you only wanted to stay in the rustic cottage. We recognize that the configuration of the 1890s cottage is unusual, and we do our best on our website and when guests are making reservations to describe the layout. Unfortunately, the cottage's footprint and amenities cannot be changed due to its grandfathered status (construction is no longer allowed so close to the river). We do receive propane deliveries to a tank near the cottage, and were a window open, this must have been the source of the odor that mysteriously appeared and then dissipated. We are puzzled about the difficulty receiving a WiFi signal when sitting by the fireplace in the inn, as there is a wireless range expander in that room. However, at times that week we did have some intermittent difficulty with the internet connection via our rural service provider which unfortunately was beyond our control. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast, for which the menu varies daily in keeping with our identity as a bed and breakfast rather than a hotel.

Reviewed 28 January 2011

A very nice and quiet inn. Friendly staff, and the best part is breakfast. The best bacon I've ever had.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods

Been to Inn at Ellis River? Share your experiences!