“It's Not Fair”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“It's Not Fair”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I work in the movie business as a stunt person and fight choreographer. The point is, I travel a lot and I have stayed in some of the best known hotels, and inns in and out of the country. Recently, I had occasion to stay at the Lodge at Jackson Village. From the moment we arrived we were treated like honored guests and yet we somehow felt that we were dealing with ole friends.
Our first experience was so remarkable that we returned less then two weeks later in badly in need of a New Hampshire, Lodge at Jackson Village fix. The trip by the way required a drive from NYC and even with sciatica, it was well worth it.
Now I ask you, does that seem fair?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ron G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at The Lodge for three nights with my wife and two kids.

This hotel has a nice facility that allows you to choose you own room on-line at the time of making a reservation. I chose a room on the first floor at the back with two queen beds, one for me and Mrs T, and one for the kids. Unfortunately, the management decided to change the room configuration prior to our arrival so we were presented with the alternative option of a king and one single bed. Clearly that wasn’t going to work so we had to have a camp bed in the room also. That was a good result in some ways because the children slept better in separate beds. On the negative side, there really wasn’t enough room for the extra furniture and the room felt rather tight for a three night stay.

Nevertheless, we received a friendly greeting at reception and check in was fine in all other respects. Our room itself was good, in decent order and clean. We had a nice little balcony overlooking the back garden, which would have been utilised more if the weather had been better. Although the room was clean on arrival, housekeeping seemingly lost enthusiasm after our second night because the room was not well made up; certainly the vacuum cleaner had not made it into our room. We found this strange, and probably an aberration, because this hotel really prides itself on cleanliness.

Breakfast was generally not a pleasant experience. I understand that the usual lady was not around and that breakfast was being organised by her husband (I believe the chap with bare feet previously mentioned by a reviewer) and their son. The hotel provides a continental breakfast, the quality of which was variable during our stay, but that would have been fine had there been a ready supply of coffee on hand. Regrettably, the coffee machine was out of order for the duration of our stay and the idea was that the staff would provide pots of filter coffee instead. However, the frequency of supply was variable and one morning the delay in getting coffee was unacceptable to us and to a number of the guests.

The hotel has an outside pool and a tennis court. There is a river running nearby. It was pleasant to sit in the garden when the sun did appear and watch the hummingbirds at the feeders.

This hotel has so many rules and regulations that it has a strange totalitarian feeling. Some of this should go without saying - don't let your kids run up and down the corridors or drop crumbs on our new carpets, don't use more than one towel for the pool. Stuff like that shouldn't need to be said and writing rules all over the place doesn't give a welcoming feel. I guess that this hotel has had more than its fair share of undesirable guests.

The Lodge is in an excellent location and there is plenty to do in the area. We did some hiking and took the kids to Attitash mountain resort (highly recommended by the Twitchy family). There is a good variety of shops, bars and eating places, although be warned that almost everything is a car ride away. The exception is Shannon Door Irish bar which can be accessed on foot (albeit across a busy road). We enjoyed the friendly reception, good service, decent enough pub food and nice atmosphere. If you are in the area take the time to locate a Deli/store called Kringles – great pizza sold by the slice.

A general word of warning regarding evening meals in this area – there is a large children’s attraction just up the road called Story Land. Eating places in the vicinity can become absolutely jammed with families in the evenings. Either book ahead (there are some child-unfriendly restaurants), eat late or go further afield to avoid the mayhem.

Overall, I felt that the Lodge let itself down on some fundamental points (particularly the coffee) but I do think we caught them at a bad time. However,we had such a great time in our short stay in the White Mountains that I find it difficult to be too critical. In fact, I would stay at the Lodge again. Just remember it’s a three star and don't expect the Ritz.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TwitchyBob
CT
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I chose The Lodge because of the impressive trip advisor reviews and The Lodge website.We had the time of our lives. We were greeted by Dana one of the owners who absolutely loves his job and New Hampshire. He spent at least fifteen minutes giving us recommendations and drawing on maps to make sure we got the full experience. My husband booked our room over the phone and we were not disappointed it was fabulous. We were told in advance that little children would be staying near us and found it to be no problem at all. The Lodge is VERY "kid friendly" we saw and encountered lots of little ones playing happily. Yet make no mistake this place also catered to couples like ourselves. It's location is central to everything including a lovely walking loop that takes you on a scenic tour of main street.
When we met Cathi the co-owner she was not only sweet, but also willing to take the time to make sure we were enjoying every moment of our stay. The continental breakfast was stellar and I highly recommend the breakfast bread pudding. There were so many homemade choices a girl could ruin her figure. My husband somehow always made sure to find his way to the delicious homemade cookies in the afternoon. Cathi creates a very impressive spread you can see the hard work and love that goes into the entire presentation. Breakfast is not to be missed. Now lets talk about the suite. The bed was so comfortable it was like a cloud. The jacuzzi was a nice benefit to the suite when you came back to The Lodge at the end of the day. We didn't use the pool, but heard lots of happy sounds coming from behind the fence. We saw people playing tennis and walking the beautiful manicured grounds. The room it's self was spotless and we were both impressed to see that The Lodge practices recycling they took our empty plastic containers of yogurt. Which we were able to bring because we were told in advance we would have a refrigerator in our suite. Even the toiletries were eco friendly. Not only were we treated like more then guests every bit of our stay was better then expected. We will be back. Visit The Lodge central to everything you could want to do and "couples and family friendly." For however long a visit you can manage you too will experience a piece of heaven. We both imagine that Winter time at The Lodge is magical too.

Room Tip: Choose a suite facing the beautiful wild flower gardens. If you can't get one, a suite on the ot...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JennRaj
Avon, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I called to book a room and was told it would be 169 plus tax and that included breakfast. I spoke to the woman who owns the place. She asked how many guests, and told me how wonderful the place was, and how "kid friendly" they are. I call right back to book the room, and got her husband. The room rate then went to 189 because we had kids. They would not put us on the second floor because they said we would bother other guests. My children are 4 and 8 months and we were to arrive at midnight when they are sleeping. They should not be on the storyland website as a family friendly place if you need to pay more for the same room because you have children!!!!!! I will be staying at another real family friendly hotel tonight.

7 Thank Ashley G
LadybugLodge, Owner at Lodge at Jackson Village, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
This potential guest called for a room and I quoted her a price of $169. Her mother then called back and spoke to my husband demanding to know if we accepted Travel Agent Discounts. Her call was hostile and belligerent, and my husband got off the phone and was totally baffled by that and commented on it. Her negativity seemed very inappropriate when a simple question would have sufficed. Shortly after the daughter called again asking a lot of questions and was unpleasant on the phone. By that time I had already booked the room I quoted her. The only other rooms I had were $20 more. She was quite angry. I did have a similar room on the second floor but since she had 3 small children and was planning to arrive very late at night, I could not rent it to her because we try to keep children on the first floor so they do not disturb guests below. The lateness of her arrival only confirmed this for me, and the difficulty of dealing with this person made me very hesitant to proceed further. I told her I was very sorry but I couldn't help her with a room at the price I originally quoted. She was very unpleasant on the phone. We are a happy place; our employees are happy, most of our thousands of guests we host each summer are happy, and my husband and I are living our dream! I am so thankful to live in the beautiful place we live in, and to get up every morning and do what I do. The negativity and bad vibes I got on the phone from this person suggest that she has not yet found what makes her happy, and as her similarly negative review demonstrates, she instead chooses to shoot down people who are trying to work hard doing what they love. It is sad. I would like to suggest the Be Kind Festival to this person, and to everybody, which is held every year in North Conway https://www.facebook.com/Kindnessfest?hc_location=stream. It is a fabulous project that seeks to make a positive loving change in the world through deeds and actions. This person's negativity did not seem like a good fit with our Lodge, and my instincts seem to have been correct. Her review only confirms my intuition. We are not for everybody but fortunately there are many varied choices in this area. I am sincerely glad this person found a place to stay that she likes, and I hope she has a marvelous time in our beautiful White Mountains. It is a piece of heaven on earth!
Pembroke, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Myself, husband and 5 year old went this past week to this lodge. It is very clean. We stayed in a King/twin room which we reserved online as room "3" and ended up being room "23". No river view and the bed was a futon? on an undersized frame. My 5 year old complained that he did not have a good night sleep (and he'll sleep anywhere). It was convenient to Storyland and the continental breakfast was good, I'd suggest eating in your room as the "living room has one table" and is not family friendly. It rained on our visit, otherwise we would have eaten outside. The staff/owner was not overly friendly and the book in the room was a bit hostile for a "family friendly" lodge. But it was clean.

Room Tip: If you book online, call and see if your room actually has a view.
4 Thank LKL458
Coventry, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This past weekend we took a family trip up to the white mountains and Story Land and decided on the Lodge based on previous reviews and the proximity to the park. We were not disappointed.

The room was a decent size, comfortable and clean. The grounds were immaculate and had great amenities for families, including the pool, tennis court and playground (which had a really nice "hobbit hole" playhouse for the kids. The owners gave us great tips on how to get there, what to do and where to eat.

The continental breakfast had a great variety and some delicious homemade muffins, cakes and bread pudding and there were homemade cookies available throughout the day. We are definitely planning on coming back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the valley side (odd numbers). The back gardens are gorgeous.
NewYork, NY
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We went here on a family vacation and really enjoyed our stay. Staff is very friendly, rooms very clean, great simple breakfast, pool and beautiful river in the back. I would definitely stay here again. Thanks to the The Lodge at Jackson Village, NH for a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club

Been to Lodge at Jackson Village? Share your experiences!