The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club(Jackson)(Great Value!)
US$104
Official Hotel
The Wentworth(Jackson)(Great Value!)
US$148
Travelocity
Nordic Village Resort(Bartlett)(Great Value!)
US$292
US$119
Swiss Chalets Village Inn(Intervale)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$64
US$60
Attitash Mountain Village(Bartlett)(Great Value!)
US$108
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
Priceline
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspresidential suitedining roommurder mystery weekendmy husband and igas fireplacemadison roomwhite mountainslamb lollipopsnew ownerswrap around porchsteam showersurf and turfthe entire staffpresidential rangedining experiencefiletthe wait staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Inn at Thorn Hill for two nights in July, 2014. Our goal was to enjoy a Saturday hiking and then return to a comfortable inn with great food. Overall, the inn did not meet our expectations.

In the restaurant, the waitress service was very, very good--personable and informative. Also, there was a good selection of wines by the glass. However, the food itself was good, not great.

Our room--in the Carriage House--was less expensive than those in the main building, but it still felt overpriced. (More recently we stayed at another inn in Jackson for a comparable sum, and it was much nicer.) It would have been nice to have air conditioning in the room and a larger shower unit (this one was the smallest I've used in the United States). The decor is very dated, but that for us was fine--what we expected.

The biggest problem we had was the atmosphere created by the manager, Klaus. When we first arrived he couldn't find our reservation in the computer system, and his first comment was to suggest that we were probably in the wrong place, that we had made a reservation at a different inn. It turned out that another staff member had printed the reservation and had put it in a place he hadn't looked. (One would have thought his first action would be to ask the staff, not to tell a guest that they were incompetent.) Then, when he gave us an orientation (which was the most detailed and redundant I can remember) he informed us that anyone could eat on the deck but that people had to dress nicer for the dining room. I was wearing a tee shirt at the time and hadn't brought any more formal shirts, having checked specifically to see if there was a dress code. When I pointed out that the inn's website made zero mention of a dress code, he backtracked. I understand that many people like a more formal feel when they dine (as we do on occasion), but if the inn wishes to encourage a specific dress code it should be mentioned on the website and in reservation confirmations.

In the big scheme of life this odd welcome might seem insignificant to many, yet it was how we were welcomed, and it left an impression that lasted through our stay, and beyond.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Carriage House
4  Thank AlbertStone
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Thorn Hill Inn in July 2014for three nights. The inn has everything that is needed for a wonderful vacation: nice and spacious rooms (main inn), great restaurant, excellent service and exceptional view from its terrace.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main inn
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights, one in a cottage and one in the main building of the Inn. The cottage was great for privacy but we liked the décor of the main building better. Both were very clean and appointed well. The food was incredible whether it was breakfast of dinner. But most importantly were the staff. Everyone was very friendly, willing to talk with you and share their opinions of what to see or do in the area. Scamp behind the bar was very knowledgeable of the area and was a hoot to talk with, a real personality. The servers in the dinning room were great, especially Samantha who personally made us a special desert for our Wedding Anniversary dinner. All of this trickles down from the wonderful manager, Klaus. Klaus is very hands on and spends his time intermingling with the guests. He clearly knows what customer service is all about. On the morning that we chose to go up Mount Washington, he found out the temperatures and wind chill at the top for us (37F) and when he found out I had no warm clothes with me he went to his room and came back with a down filled vest for me to wear. He wanted to make sure we were warm enough to enjoy our time up the mountain. Finally, early in the morning around 7:30, watch for the black bears out looking for their breakfast in the garbage bins, then wandering off through the parking lot and into the woods. It was quite a sight from about 75 feet away. Both my wife and I highly recommend this as a great place to stay.

2  Thank CeilidhBurl
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here while on a vacation in the North Conway area. The check in staff were very welcoming and friendly and gave a full tour of the property. The hotel manager was very attentive and obviously takes pride in his work keeping the place upscale. The staff always remembered your name and room number. The afternoon tea and cookies were a nice touch. The bar and restaurant were always clean and tidy. The hotel suite was very clean as well with a wonderful bathroom in the Presidential Suite. The area is away from the hustle and traffic of North Conway but still close enough to enjoy it. I think its a great place with wonderful views.

2  Thank Lori P
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We wanted to visit North Conway and see the sights. So we booked two nights at The Inn at Thorn Hill based on Trip Advisor reviews. And boy, are we happy with our choice.

The person we spoke to, Nancy, warmly advised us and reserved us in room 203, The Madison Room. We loved the spacious floor plan, the view of the White Mountains, a whirlpool bathtub for two, steam shower, working gas fireplace, marble bathroom--all working beautifully, and classy antique furniture and Pella Windows. Fine touchs throughout the room, and a huge 50" HD plasma television too!

We enjoyed our gourmet meals, 2 breakfasts and a lovely dinner. I was served by two excellent waitresses, Nikki so exuberant, dinner server, and Sonja so warm and personable, our breakfast server.
I must describe my dinner. I am a foodie. And I cook pretty good too.
I started off with appetizer of two "lamb lollipops". It was so wonderful, I lost my ability to speak. Portions size? Two huge delectable lamb pieces could have almost served as an entree, so meaty and juicy, perfectly pink and rare inside. Then followed my NY cut steak, perfectly grilled, medium rare with broccoli rabe and a blue cheese sauce. Again amazing. I glowed with satisfaction after my memorable meal. Then, asking to meet the chef , I shook the hand of the genius--a calm, dedicated hardworking man named Guy. We had a two minute chat whereby I complimented him on his culinary skills and I told him how much I enjoyed my superb meal, thanks to him and his kitchen staff!

Throughout the three days, I was genuinely impressed and astounded by how busy Klaus was. He was always there, visible, helpful, attentive and warm--the perfect host and manager.

Local activities?
We drove the Kancamagus and up we went on the cog railway--all the way to the top of Mt Washington a good steep 6288' peak. But the "pinnacle of our vacation" was living like a king and queen at the Inn at Thorn Hill.

If you'd like to be treated like royalty, take it from Jimmy Li and Susan Bady, and stay at the Inn at Thorn Hill !!

Room Tip: The premises are quiet and distinguished with luxury touchs throughout. For the best room choice advice, please consult with Nancy, she is very knowledgeable and eager to help. When she learned that we were "gluten-free", Nancy immediately made notations on her records so that we would have those choices available on our next visit.
3  Thank beaujtyboy
Thornhillowner, Owner at The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear beaujtyboy
We are very pleased reading your review and would like to thank you for your great comments.
Most of all we appreciate you mentioning our staff. From Klaus as you described him best " The perfect host" to our other team members like our Chef Guy, Nancy,Sonja and Nikki.
All the Credit for your experience truly belongs to the entire team of the Inn under Klaus's leadership.
We are trying very hard to give the best service and product to our guests and make it a true retreat for couples.
Looking forward to host you again in the near future.

Kind Regards