“Great Historic Hotel, Good Food and Good Accommodation”

Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My wife and I toured New England for the two weeks September 23rd to 7th October 2013 to view the fall foliage. We travelled from Boston up to Bar Harbor, across to the White Mountains, down through Vermont, the Adirondacks and onto the Berkshire Hills. We selected our accommodation and eating places from Trip Adviser Reviews. We have reviewed each of the hotels, motels and bed and breakfast places that we stayed in and also many of the places we ate and drank in along the way. If you would like to view our reviews for the rest of the places on this trip click on my screen name on the left.

We stayed at the Eagle Mountain House for three nights, 26th , 27th and 28th September. The hotel is “a Historic Hotel” and is very quaint. Our room was large and we had two excellent beds. We had a standard room, number 223, which is a corner room with windows on two walls, which gave some extra light in the room. This was very useful as the lighting in the room was hardly sufficient. There is no central ceiling light, only a corner lampstand and bedside lights all with small bulbs.
Downstairs there is a large porch with rocking chairs for clients use. We ate in both the restaurant and the bar and the food was excellent. We were pleased to see that we could order half portions of many of the dishes, this suited our British appetites well.
We stayed on a “Bed and Breakfast” basis and the breakfast was excellent with a wide range of food on offer.
We thought the hotel and the food was good and most of the staff gave good service. We would probably stay there again if we went to that area.
Good Points. Nice location, mainly good service, good food at reasonable prices, nice room and bed.
Negative Points. Some of the furniture has seen better days, lack of lighting in the room. They do not know how to make tea properly.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room for additional light in the room from two windows
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed two nights at this property during our fall foilage road trip. The location can't be beat - quiet, across from the golf course, and walking path to beautiful creek and water falls. That said, just realize this is a very old hotel well past it's prime. I havie nothing against historic Inns, have stayed in quite a few throughout Europe that were much older than this - so I don't mind lack of luxury and quirks of older hotels. The problem with this one is that it it needs to be taken care of a little better. The bar/tavern in the evening was understaffed and it was noted by several customers while sitting there. The front desk was kind of hit and miss - there were times we received great service, and others, not so much. Very inconsistent. The only reason I would stay here again if I returned to the area would be the location - and the front porch with the rocking chairs!!!!!

Room Tip: The hotel has one very old elevator that works very, very slowly - if you can't manage to walk u...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

When first arriving you'll see a picturesque New England bed-and-breakfast looking hotel, but looks can be deceiving. I traveled here with my wife and two small children (4 and 2) believing this was an appropriate place for children...based on reading previous reviews. The looks I received from other guests upon them seeing my children made it apparent that my kids were unwelcome here...and my kids were just walking quietly by my side! This hotel dates back to the 1800's which is apparent in that the floors creak with every step you take and that the wallpaper and paint are peeling off the walls. When walking in the halls or while in your room you can hear every conversation people are having...as well as every step they make in the room above you.

There is absolutely no way to open and close your hotel room door quietly and when in your room you can clearly hear when other guests open and close theirs if they are anywhere in the same hall.
ANY movement you make in the bed causes them to creak horribly. Simply put there is NO privacy.

We had the unfortunate luck to have another couple placed in the room right next to ours with an inconsolable toddler who was crying and screaming. To their credit they were trying everything possible to console their child (we could hear their attempts at talking and singing) but the walls are so thin they may as well have been in the room with us. When we informed the front desk they offered to move us to another room down that same hall (where we could still hear the muffled crying child) but that gave us no apology or really seemed to care.

The window-mounted air-conditioner sounded like a loud, rattling jet engine so we couldn't use that so we were forced to open the windows to keep cool.

Lastly this hotel was only about $120/night but the haughty attitudes of the other guests would lead you to believe you were staying at the Ritz in New York City. For $120/night I expect to at minimum, have basic privacy and not be subjected to any noises made by other guests...much less a complete lack of privacy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank BogieNC
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Hotel well past its prime. Greeted at the front desk with a "what's up" as I tried to check in, after making me wait for a few minutes due to chitchat with a coworker. Noise travels incredibly well in the old structure, I can hear people above, below, in the corridors. Stay here if you want to sleep poorly, and be treated as if you were at a rundown motel.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Bostondad1
Brian B, General Manager at Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for providing your comments. We are grateful for any and all points of view.

I am sorry that you were not greeted to your expectations. Our front desk is quite good at greeting our guests and taking care of all requests. Of course at times they become quite familiar as many of our guests are return customers. Perhaps this was our reaction to you.

As an older property, we do have creaks and quirks that make us unique, but potentially noisy at times. Our up coming renovations is scheduled to work on this very issue, so next time, I am sure you will see improvement.

From what I understand, it was another guest that caused much of your noise discomfort. I always suggest having the front desk deal with other guests on your behalf, we are here to assist you with your comfort.

Thank you again for your comments and please write to me personally should you have any other questions.

bbaker@eaglemt.com

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for two nights, which frankly was enough for me. The welcome was excellent, and the setting is amazing.
However, it is a very old place, we were on the third floor and there was one of the old fashioned lifts with two sliding doors which was actually very cool.
The rooms were quire large, but not too well cleaned. There was an old used tissue behind the bedside table (?) and the furniture was quite dusty. The bed was uncomfortable, and squeaked when we moved.....
The restaurant was very busy when we were there, which may excuse why the service was very slow.
The setting does make up for some of this, though.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

If you are accustomed to fine hotels, you will be very disappointed. If this is "Old Charm", then the stress is on the old. Doesn't appear very much has been invested in upkeep nor renovation in a decade or more. Creakiest floors I've ever heard throughout the entire building covered by old worn thin carpet. Bed/mattress as old and creaky as floor. Poorly lit and gloomy. Not quaint enough to save the experience I'm afraid.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Joseph C
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We had a lovely warm welcome and free coffee and biscuits at reception. The hotel is very old and all the rooms are lovely and comfortable. The food in the bar and restaurant was a very high standard and staff were very helpful. The location was beautiful overlooking the golf course and mountains, we went to see the trees and this was a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking golf course
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods

Been to Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club? Share your experiences!