“Beautiful setting”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Aberdour
“Beautiful setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Eagle Mountain House Hotel sits alone in a very rural setting with beautiful views. It's an old building & some of the interior is a bit dated. We stayed for 2 nights & enjoyed the quirky, rustic ambiance. When we checked in we were allocated a very poor room, with no wardrobe, nowhere to hang any clothes & no room for suitcases! In spite of the hotel being in such a lovely setting, the room had views directly into another section of the hotel.We rejected the room & were then given a very pleasant one with adequate space & lovely views. Food in the restaurant was good, although breakfast a bit chaotic, not enough staff on duty for peak breakfast times.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting peace & quiet with access to a small golf course.

Room Tip: Don't accept a sub standard room. Corner rooms have two windows with the best views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 665Pauline
Brian B, Manager at Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I am sorry that the room that you reserved was not to your liking. I am glad that we were able to find the right room selection for you.
Our breakfasts have become quite popular and we have been training new staff to be ready. I am sure the next time you will find a much improved service.
Thanks you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as part of a touring group so I am unable to comment on whether this stay was good value for money.

The plus points were that it was located in a quiet road within an easy walk by the side of a cascading river to the quaintest of villages. The rocking chairs on the veranda and the dining room overlook the small golf course to the mountains. A fantastic view. It is possible to stroll around this pretty golf course but apparently the greens are not well kept (according to my husband).

The other plus point was the fantastic breakfast - freshly made omelettes and waffles. Although they did have difficulty with making tea.

However, loads of minus points. Whilst the breakfast staff were professional some of the bar staff were not. In fact, the bar was so unwelcoming that it became a joke. At one point a member of our party was charging his drinks to his room so the barmaid ignored him. American's around him even commented. He gave her $5 and she cheered up a bit. We were not allowed to move the chairs and the whole set up reminded me of Fawlty Towers.

The bedroom was terrible. Wallpaper was hanging off and the lighting was so bad that I hooked the (broken) blind up to let in more light. The ducting was falling apart at ground level so I would not recommend children stayed at this hotel. The beds creaked when we rolled over. Only one window would open. Very strange smell on arrival in the room. I think that they had used too much cleaning product in the bathroom. This smell did subside. The bathroom had recently been refurbished and was good.

The general areas were mixed. There was always a lit fire and plenty of comfortable chairs in the lobby/lounge but then the stairs and corridors had industrial pipes along them. A hole in the carpet on the stairs (I could see the floorboards!).

There was tea and coffee available in the lobby but my suggestion is that you ask for boiling water for your cuppa. Do not be fobbed off with "we have just replaced the hot water" or "we do not have a kettle". (We had both of these excuses from the reception staff.) The manager seemed to have been losing the battle regarding consistently polite and helpful service from all her staff.

In conclusion, fabulous location which was spoilt by the inconsistent customer service from staff and the need for refurbishment. It looks great from the outside but how this hotel can be recommended in the Historic Hotel Guide I do not know!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Amanda503918
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

My wife and I toured New England for the two weeks September 23rd to 7th October 2013 to view the fall foliage. We travelled from Boston up to Bar Harbor, across to the White Mountains, down through Vermont, the Adirondacks and onto the Berkshire Hills. We selected our accommodation and eating places from Trip Adviser Reviews. We have reviewed each of the hotels, motels and bed and breakfast places that we stayed in and also many of the places we ate and drank in along the way. If you would like to view our reviews for the rest of the places on this trip click on my screen name on the left.

We stayed at the Eagle Mountain House for three nights, 26th , 27th and 28th September. The hotel is “a Historic Hotel” and is very quaint. Our room was large and we had two excellent beds. We had a standard room, number 223, which is a corner room with windows on two walls, which gave some extra light in the room. This was very useful as the lighting in the room was hardly sufficient. There is no central ceiling light, only a corner lampstand and bedside lights all with small bulbs.
Downstairs there is a large porch with rocking chairs for clients use. We ate in both the restaurant and the bar and the food was excellent. We were pleased to see that we could order half portions of many of the dishes, this suited our British appetites well.
We stayed on a “Bed and Breakfast” basis and the breakfast was excellent with a wide range of food on offer.
We thought the hotel and the food was good and most of the staff gave good service. We would probably stay there again if we went to that area.
Good Points. Nice location, mainly good service, good food at reasonable prices, nice room and bed.
Negative Points. Some of the furniture has seen better days, lack of lighting in the room. They do not know how to make tea properly.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room for additional light in the room from two windows
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
dana point california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed two nights at this property during our fall foilage road trip. The location can't be beat - quiet, across from the golf course, and walking path to beautiful creek and water falls. That said, just realize this is a very old hotel well past it's prime. I havie nothing against historic Inns, have stayed in quite a few throughout Europe that were much older than this - so I don't mind lack of luxury and quirks of older hotels. The problem with this one is that it it needs to be taken care of a little better. The bar/tavern in the evening was understaffed and it was noted by several customers while sitting there. The front desk was kind of hit and miss - there were times we received great service, and others, not so much. Very inconsistent. The only reason I would stay here again if I returned to the area would be the location - and the front porch with the rocking chairs!!!!!

Room Tip: The hotel has one very old elevator that works very, very slowly - if you can't manage to walk u...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Apex, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

When first arriving you'll see a picturesque New England bed-and-breakfast looking hotel, but looks can be deceiving. I traveled here with my wife and two small children (4 and 2) believing this was an appropriate place for children...based on reading previous reviews. The looks I received from other guests upon them seeing my children made it apparent that my kids were unwelcome here...and my kids were just walking quietly by my side! This hotel dates back to the 1800's which is apparent in that the floors creak with every step you take and that the wallpaper and paint are peeling off the walls. When walking in the halls or while in your room you can hear every conversation people are having...as well as every step they make in the room above you.

There is absolutely no way to open and close your hotel room door quietly and when in your room you can clearly hear when other guests open and close theirs if they are anywhere in the same hall.
ANY movement you make in the bed causes them to creak horribly. Simply put there is NO privacy.

We had the unfortunate luck to have another couple placed in the room right next to ours with an inconsolable toddler who was crying and screaming. To their credit they were trying everything possible to console their child (we could hear their attempts at talking and singing) but the walls are so thin they may as well have been in the room with us. When we informed the front desk they offered to move us to another room down that same hall (where we could still hear the muffled crying child) but that gave us no apology or really seemed to care.

The window-mounted air-conditioner sounded like a loud, rattling jet engine so we couldn't use that so we were forced to open the windows to keep cool.

Lastly this hotel was only about $120/night but the haughty attitudes of the other guests would lead you to believe you were staying at the Ritz in New York City. For $120/night I expect to at minimum, have basic privacy and not be subjected to any noises made by other guests...much less a complete lack of privacy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BogieNC
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Hotel well past its prime. Greeted at the front desk with a "what's up" as I tried to check in, after making me wait for a few minutes due to chitchat with a coworker. Noise travels incredibly well in the old structure, I can hear people above, below, in the corridors. Stay here if you want to sleep poorly, and be treated as if you were at a rundown motel.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Bostondad1
Brian B, General Manager at Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for providing your comments. We are grateful for any and all points of view.

I am sorry that you were not greeted to your expectations. Our front desk is quite good at greeting our guests and taking care of all requests. Of course at times they become quite familiar as many of our guests are return customers. Perhaps this was our reaction to you.

As an older property, we do have creaks and quirks that make us unique, but potentially noisy at times. Our up coming renovations is scheduled to work on this very issue, so next time, I am sure you will see improvement.

From what I understand, it was another guest that caused much of your noise discomfort. I always suggest having the front desk deal with other guests on your behalf, we are here to assist you with your comfort.

Thank you again for your comments and please write to me personally should you have any other questions.

bbaker@eaglemt.com
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for two nights, which frankly was enough for me. The welcome was excellent, and the setting is amazing.
However, it is a very old place, we were on the third floor and there was one of the old fashioned lifts with two sliding doors which was actually very cool.
The rooms were quire large, but not too well cleaned. There was an old used tissue behind the bedside table (?) and the furniture was quite dusty. The bed was uncomfortable, and squeaked when we moved.....
The restaurant was very busy when we were there, which may excuse why the service was very slow.
The setting does make up for some of this, though.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Lodge at Jackson Village
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,294 reviews

Been to Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club? Share your experiences!