“Lovely”

Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I was married here five years ago. My wedding guests still talk about it to this day, as the best wedding they ever attended. It was late June and most or our guests stayed two nights. We had been coming here for years prior to our wedding and continued to do so after. We came up with family this Thsnksgiving and noticed all but one of the regular staff (including the amazing wedding coordinator) gone! While this had us curious, we still enjoyed our stay. Due to new staff we were not recognized like usual, so a bit of the welcome back home feel was lacking. We really enjoy it up here and the old charm is a big part of that.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Timeless beauty, lovely setting. You can sit on the porch chairs and experience the view which many have enjoyed for over a century. Priceless! The staff was very friendly at all times. Room clean, bed comfortable, heat adjustable, shower very good, tV older(who cares, go outside). Pub/bar fun and food good. Breakfast very good. Yes needs some TLC, updating. But this is real New England.
We'll definitely stay again. Pet friendly, Skipper dog sends wags of appreciation!

Room Tip: As we had a pet, we we're on M level. Excellent access in and out.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Now that the Balsams is gone, and the Mt. Washington and the Wentworth have gone corporate - check out the Eagle Mountain House for a real NH grand hotel. The rome are big, the bathrooms updated - and the views sweeping. Great restaurant with local fare - and big breakfasts. The bar staff is great. I see this as the un-Hampston Inn. Real, local, historic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank pepelevoo
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I didn't stay @ this hotel so I'm giving it an average rating to be fair. I cancelled my prepaid hotel reservation 4 days prior to arrival - inside the fully refundable cancel policy; it was off season - no leaf color, no snow, no holiday, just a Tuesday night. The problem: The hotel kept back $25 of my refund. I had to call the hotel 2x to get the $25 put back on my credit card. My first request was ignored. I just REALLY don't like any business that operates this way. The hotel itself, on the other hand, may be just lovely. Now I'll never know....

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Jennifer D
Brian B, Manager at Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you for commenting on our hotel. I am sorry that you do not agree with this practice. We do inform all customers in advance of this procedure. I am glad in your case that we were able to provide you with an amenable solution.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We have come to the Eagle every year at least 2 times a year. This November we were surprised! At check in we noticed the regulars were not at the desk. On these off times we were always upgraded,being that we are good return customers. Not this time they asked if it was our fist time here...... hmmmmm guess they should check the records as we were here in April of this year. The staff is all new, only one of the original staff left. The atmosphere is very sterile now, very business not homey like before. It just wasn't like coming home after a day out like I told the manager in April. It's too bad good things change. I am sure more changes to a great old hotel will take place I can only hope not much, it's perfect as it is. I also think some sort of notification of the new management should have been sent to regular customers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank estr49

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We strive to make every guest experience the best possible. We do have some new staff and each one is doing well at learning our best practices. I am sorry that you were not recognized on your return visit. We will be sure to focus more on this in the future.
Thanks you again.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Eagle Mountain House Hotel sits alone in a very rural setting with beautiful views. It's an old building & some of the interior is a bit dated. We stayed for 2 nights & enjoyed the quirky, rustic ambiance. When we checked in we were allocated a very poor room, with no wardrobe, nowhere to hang any clothes & no room for suitcases! In spite of the hotel being in such a lovely setting, the room had views directly into another section of the hotel.We rejected the room & were then given a very pleasant one with adequate space & lovely views. Food in the restaurant was good, although breakfast a bit chaotic, not enough staff on duty for peak breakfast times.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting peace & quiet with access to a small golf course.

Room Tip: Don't accept a sub standard room. Corner rooms have two windows with the best views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 665Pauline

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I am sorry that the room that you reserved was not to your liking. I am glad that we were able to find the right room selection for you.
Our breakfasts have become quite popular and we have been training new staff to be ready. I am sure the next time you will find a much improved service.
Thanks you again.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as part of a touring group so I am unable to comment on whether this stay was good value for money.

The plus points were that it was located in a quiet road within an easy walk by the side of a cascading river to the quaintest of villages. The rocking chairs on the veranda and the dining room overlook the small golf course to the mountains. A fantastic view. It is possible to stroll around this pretty golf course but apparently the greens are not well kept (according to my husband).

The other plus point was the fantastic breakfast - freshly made omelettes and waffles. Although they did have difficulty with making tea.

However, loads of minus points. Whilst the breakfast staff were professional some of the bar staff were not. In fact, the bar was so unwelcoming that it became a joke. At one point a member of our party was charging his drinks to his room so the barmaid ignored him. American's around him even commented. He gave her $5 and she cheered up a bit. We were not allowed to move the chairs and the whole set up reminded me of Fawlty Towers.

The bedroom was terrible. Wallpaper was hanging off and the lighting was so bad that I hooked the (broken) blind up to let in more light. The ducting was falling apart at ground level so I would not recommend children stayed at this hotel. The beds creaked when we rolled over. Only one window would open. Very strange smell on arrival in the room. I think that they had used too much cleaning product in the bathroom. This smell did subside. The bathroom had recently been refurbished and was good.

The general areas were mixed. There was always a lit fire and plenty of comfortable chairs in the lobby/lounge but then the stairs and corridors had industrial pipes along them. A hole in the carpet on the stairs (I could see the floorboards!).

There was tea and coffee available in the lobby but my suggestion is that you ask for boiling water for your cuppa. Do not be fobbed off with "we have just replaced the hot water" or "we do not have a kettle". (We had both of these excuses from the reception staff.) The manager seemed to have been losing the battle regarding consistently polite and helpful service from all her staff.

In conclusion, fabulous location which was spoilt by the inconsistent customer service from staff and the need for refurbishment. It looks great from the outside but how this hotel can be recommended in the Historic Hotel Guide I do not know!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Amanda503918
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Wentworth
#8 of 25 in North Conway
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club? Share your experiences!