“Great stay in an old fashioned place”

Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at Eagle Mountain house a couple weeks ago. This was our second time in the area and we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. The country setting is quiet and the nearby falls are beautiful. It is a bit of a drive to go anywhere but that didn't bother us. Stepping into the lobby was like stepping into 1930, there is even a wooden telephone booth. It would be nice if you could find a way to make the door and cage for the elevator open a little easier. We liked the changing rooms next to the fitness center (it was closed for re-modeling but we only wanted to enjoy the spa anyway - had that to ourselves).

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the golf course for a great mountain view. Nights are cool so sleep with...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This wooden hotel built in 1879 has a magnificent block-long veranda with a row of sturdy wooden hunter-green rocking chairs facing a beautiful view of distant hills and and up-close golf course. One of my favorite vacation activities is sitting with a book on this veranda. When you walk through the main doors, you are greeted by an old wooden phone both next to a check-in desk that looks like it might come from a movie set. The lobby features a small parlor library available for guests' use, because this hotel dates to a period when the kinds of vacationers who could afford to stay here expected a quiet place to read and write letters. My children use the library regularly when we stay here. I appreciate having a full breakfast served in the morning in the dining room before heading out for the day's activities. We have never had dinner in the dining room, though we have enjoyed late lunch in the Tavern ( limited menu, but friendly service and reasonable prices). My children love the elevator which looks and smells like an antique because it is an antique. How many items do you own that were made in 1879 and are still functioning (and passing safety inspection) today? I don't own any. But I love how that elevator gives me a chance to talk with my children about how the world was not always the way it is today, and that the human race survived before elevator doors were automatic and Google fetched us facts in an instant. The room we had on our last visit was on the second floor overlooking the Carter Notch Inn; it had a lovely green view and was quiet day and night. The bathroom was completely updated, and had an old-fashioned feel, but the materials, big box store quality, were brand new. The beds were comfortable and had crisp white comforters. The new window-unit air conditioner kept the room pleasant on a hot muggy day. The room is compact but the high ceilings give it a pleasant feel. It is true the rug in our room was faded and had a golf-ball sized hole near the closet. Rugs all throughout this hotel are faded, some more than others, and some in more interesting and unpredictable ways than others. The rugs couldn't possibly date to the hotel's first year of operation, but they feel like they might be that old. I presume that the rugs are on the long list of repairs and maintenance to be done by the hotel company that bought this hotel from its condominium owners. The kids loved the outdoor pool and the game room. I loved the hot tub in its funky odd shaped room in the basement down the hall from the game room. There is something about the shape and location of these basement rooms that lets you know they weren't originally designed for their present functions. The white painted pipes that run through ceilings and along walls in unexpected places remind you that these spaces preexisted modern plumbing codes. These mismatches amuse me, and they didn't stop my kids from having a grand time. I would like to see these spaces remodeled, perhaps the hot tub area upgraded. Like the San Francisco bridge, this hotel will always need on-going repairs, and I only hope that this management company will figure out how to bring it into perfect repair, keep it that way, and run it profitably at a price the public can still afford. This is no small feat. I wish them well so that I can continue to enjoy the special ambience of this hotel. Folks, let me be honest, this hotel is not for everyone. If you like staying in places that look like every other place you have ever stayed, know thyself. I recommend a good chain hotel. If climbing stairs is uncomfortable for you, even if you do appreciate Victorian charm, or if waiting for the small antique elevator will tax your patience, this is not the place for you. If you recently redid your kitchen in post-post modern grey, this might not be the place for you. If you regularly vacation with a good book, if you think an antique victrola is a thing of beauty (there's a victrola cabinet in the lobby), if a rocking chair and a beautiful view appeal to you, you might try this place and see if you are among the clientele, like me and my family, that keep returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently updated. Suites have amenities like refrigerators that regula...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have stayed here many times in the past and have always enjoyed my stay. I am still impressed by the staff and the service, but the condition of the building and rooms has gone downhill. The first room i was checked in to had peeling wallpaper and stained carpet, cobwebs in the corners, and very dirty windows. I asked to be moved to another room and it was not much better. The windows looked like they hadn't been washed in a very long time, and there was still peeling wallpaper, although not as bad. The carpet in the hallways is threadbare, and the walls and woodwork are marked up. Looks like there has not been any maintenance inside or out for many, many months. The paint is peeling off the building and the parking lot is full of sand from winter. I must say that the gardens are looking good, and the food was delicious. I may give it another try, but i will have to think long and hard before I do.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rachel10809
Brian B, General Manager at Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Rachel:

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your multiple visits, customers like you are helping us bring the Eagle back to its historic charm.

I am sorry that you found some issues with our hotel this visit. We have been scheduling some extensive renovations and as soon as we have them complete, we will let you know.

Stay tuned and thank you again
Brian

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stay at the hotel on Memorial Day weekend in a large bedroom facing the golf course, which meant facing the main road; so was a bit noisy at night with several cars racing up the road. Those who prefer real quiet might ask for rooms facing on the other side of the hotel where there is nothing but woods. Food was basic. We ended up eating at the other hotel nearby. The smallish elevator(only one) was real old with the sliding gates and all. The elevator doors took some effort to open and to close. The place is old and might not be to the tastes of those looking for modern amenities and comforts; but the price is low, the staff very friendly, and the location great. We noticed a window air conditioner sitting in the closet so would presume the rooms are a/c during the summer. Bathroom was definitely a one person operation but with no lack of hot water. Hallway noise can carry into the rooms so ear plugs might be welcomed. Otherwise, a clean, economical place to stay with the charm of the early 20th century.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms facing away from the golf course might also be the quieter rooms. Build up muscles...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 60+male

Thank you for your visit and comments.

You are correct about the elevator with its manual doors. It is an event to ride it.

And we do have many guests that request rooms facing away from the street. Almost as many that want the mountain view.

I agree that our staff is very friendly, they are the best.

Please keep us in mind should your travels return to Jackson.

Thanks again
Brian

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was my second stay at Eagle Mountain. I was not impressed at all. The room was a mess with plaster falling off the ceiling, cracks in the walls and ceilings, wallpaper falling of, mice crap in the bathroom, a tub that did not drain, the shower was cutting our skin due to the narrow spray head and the breakfast was below what I have had at Hampton Inns.

I will not be back. They have not put any money back into this place at all. It needs a good cleaning and lots of repairs. It is overpriced! I travel frequently and I would not go back or recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank JohnG229
Brian B, General Manager at Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

John:

Thank you again for the comment card you completed earlier today and for this report. We appreciate your comments as they help us to improve our service to future guests.

It is unfortunate that you did not find your unit to be in perhaps the same condition as the one on your recent visit earlier this year. As I mentioned in my letter, we have a full scale renovation planned which will address the items you mentioned, such as wall coverings and resurfacing our walls and ceilings along with other items.

As for the cleanliness of your room, our housekeeping staff do an amazing job, as mentioned here before. We inspect our rooms to ensure that no one misses anything. However, we are eager to respond quickly to anything that you may feel is not to your expectation during your stay. We could move you to a new unit or address your existing unit.

The pressure in our showers is often complemented, but obviously is not as appreciated by everyone.

As for breakfast, we offer a great selection of items on our buffet, however our servers can ask our cooks for additional items should you wish for something different.

Again, I am sorry that your stay was not as you expected.

Brian Baker

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was originally booked for this trip in the Kearsarge Inn in North Conway where I had stayed on a previous visit but my friends whom I was going to see had moved to Jackson so I switched to the Eagle Mountain House a few weeks before my trip.

Jackson is a tiny picturesque hamlet a 10-15 minute drive North from North Conway but it definitely has a much quieter feel. There are a few small shops, restaurants and cafes but it doesn't have the huge commercial development that North Conway has along highway 16.

I checked into the EMH amid a lot of activity. The hotel was pretty full due to a high school reunion and a wedding the same weekend. Check-in was easy although be forewarned that you are responsible for transporting your own luggage. Since I was there for a 4 day visit that would encompass hiking every day I had quite a bit of gear to get to my room.

This is an old hotel, opened in 1879, that does have a creaky slow old elevator but you should only count on using it if you need to like at move-in and move-out. The problem for me was the first room they gave me, 212, shares one or two walls with the elevator. Because it is the type with an inside gate and outside door, both manually operated, every time someone uses it a very high-pitched alarm that sounds like a screaming pig goes off. When your room is literally next to this it can be somewhat annoying.

Consequently, after a night in this room the staff kindly moved me to a quieter room on the top floor, which I loved. Of course once the weekend was over and the crowds had gone back to their normal lives, there was almost no one else in the hotel so it probably wouldn't have been such a problem. Still, I heartily encourage you to stay in this place but would advise against a room that is adjacent to the elevator.

The room I ended up with was on the top floor at the North end of the building allowing me a great view of Cater Notch as well as other surrounding peaks. It was large and comfortable with a refrigerator, seating area, ample clothing storage, and a comfortable queen size bed.

I recommend the hike that starts directly behind the hotel parking lot that takes you to the top of Eagle Mountain. It is about an 800 foot climb but is not very steep and rewards the hiker with a great view of the hotel and the valley below.

Coffee was available every morning and some evenings in the lobby. On the weekend days they put out delicious cookies by the coffee station. All in all, I would highly recommend the Eagle Mountain House for those who enjoy the patina of age on a building but with many of the modern comforts and reasonable prices.

Room Tip: I loved my 3rd floor room at the North end of the building but be aware that it is actually the 4th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank pyrprshr
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We love this place. We stay in Jackson NH approximately one weekend per six weeks and The Eagle Mountain House has become our favorite and the only place we stay at in the area. We think it's the perfect combination of old rustic charm, with a warm appeal and a friendly, welcoming staff. It's also reasonably priced & a good value. The rooms and beds are very comfortable. It's hard to not like this place. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shane B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Lodge at Jackson Village
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel

Been to Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club? Share your experiences!