“Excellent, Beautiful Stay”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Lowell, Massachusetts
“Excellent, Beautiful Stay”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Excellent stay! Beautiful location and building. Love the atmosphere and historical theme to the hotel and area. The place made you feel welcome and comfortable with the great staff and cleanliness. Definitely will return for another stay in the near future. With all there is to do in the surrounding area, I could see ourselves staying here many times over.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was the second time we visited Eagle Mountain. It is a lovely, historic inn in a rural setting. The lobby is like stepping back in time. We enjoyed a relaxing dinner on the front porch. If you want a beautiful view in New Hampshire I recommend Eagle Mountain. Close to Attatash which has an alpine slide and mountain coaster as well as Mount Washington.

Room Tip: Very quiet for a historic hotel. I would recommend a room that doesn't face the golf course unl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Eagle Mountain House over July 4th weekend. We were looking for a place close to Mt. Washington. I was a little concerned when I drove up and saw the pealing paint on the side of the hotel, but room was clean, furniture well kept up and beds comfortable. The staff was also very accommodating.
Of note the walls are paper thin. There wasn't much noise on our floor, but we were up early one morning and as we were coming down the floor we could hear a young child fusing from one of the rooms down the hall. I am sure the people in the adjoining rooms could hear it if we could hear it out in the hall.
Also the golf course left a lot to be desired. My boyfriend is an avid golfer so we went out upon our arrival on Friday and he was very disappointed. In his words "it was a dog track." Even I could see it was in pour condition and I have only been out on a few courses. However there were a bunch of people out playing on Saturday when we came back from our hike.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator and main staircase. The elevator is old fashion and dings continu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Danville, Virginia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at Eagle Mountain house a couple weeks ago. This was our second time in the area and we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. The country setting is quiet and the nearby falls are beautiful. It is a bit of a drive to go anywhere but that didn't bother us. Stepping into the lobby was like stepping into 1930, there is even a wooden telephone booth. It would be nice if you could find a way to make the door and cage for the elevator open a little easier. We liked the changing rooms next to the fitness center (it was closed for re-modeling but we only wanted to enjoy the spa anyway - had that to ourselves).

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the golf course for a great mountain view. Nights are cool so sleep with...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This wooden hotel built in 1879 has a magnificent block-long veranda with a row of sturdy wooden hunter-green rocking chairs facing a beautiful view of distant hills and and up-close golf course. One of my favorite vacation activities is sitting with a book on this veranda. When you walk through the main doors, you are greeted by an old wooden phone both next to a check-in desk that looks like it might come from a movie set. The lobby features a small parlor library available for guests' use, because this hotel dates to a period when the kinds of vacationers who could afford to stay here expected a quiet place to read and write letters. My children use the library regularly when we stay here. I appreciate having a full breakfast served in the morning in the dining room before heading out for the day's activities. We have never had dinner in the dining room, though we have enjoyed late lunch in the Tavern ( limited menu, but friendly service and reasonable prices). My children love the elevator which looks and smells like an antique because it is an antique. How many items do you own that were made in 1879 and are still functioning (and passing safety inspection) today? I don't own any. But I love how that elevator gives me a chance to talk with my children about how the world was not always the way it is today, and that the human race survived before elevator doors were automatic and Google fetched us facts in an instant. The room we had on our last visit was on the second floor overlooking the Carter Notch Inn; it had a lovely green view and was quiet day and night. The bathroom was completely updated, and had an old-fashioned feel, but the materials, big box store quality, were brand new. The beds were comfortable and had crisp white comforters. The new window-unit air conditioner kept the room pleasant on a hot muggy day. The room is compact but the high ceilings give it a pleasant feel. It is true the rug in our room was faded and had a golf-ball sized hole near the closet. Rugs all throughout this hotel are faded, some more than others, and some in more interesting and unpredictable ways than others. The rugs couldn't possibly date to the hotel's first year of operation, but they feel like they might be that old. I presume that the rugs are on the long list of repairs and maintenance to be done by the hotel company that bought this hotel from its condominium owners. The kids loved the outdoor pool and the game room. I loved the hot tub in its funky odd shaped room in the basement down the hall from the game room. There is something about the shape and location of these basement rooms that lets you know they weren't originally designed for their present functions. The white painted pipes that run through ceilings and along walls in unexpected places remind you that these spaces preexisted modern plumbing codes. These mismatches amuse me, and they didn't stop my kids from having a grand time. I would like to see these spaces remodeled, perhaps the hot tub area upgraded. Like the San Francisco bridge, this hotel will always need on-going repairs, and I only hope that this management company will figure out how to bring it into perfect repair, keep it that way, and run it profitably at a price the public can still afford. This is no small feat. I wish them well so that I can continue to enjoy the special ambience of this hotel. Folks, let me be honest, this hotel is not for everyone. If you like staying in places that look like every other place you have ever stayed, know thyself. I recommend a good chain hotel. If climbing stairs is uncomfortable for you, even if you do appreciate Victorian charm, or if waiting for the small antique elevator will tax your patience, this is not the place for you. If you recently redid your kitchen in post-post modern grey, this might not be the place for you. If you regularly vacation with a good book, if you think an antique victrola is a thing of beauty (there's a victrola cabinet in the lobby), if a rocking chair and a beautiful view appeal to you, you might try this place and see if you are among the clientele, like me and my family, that keep returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently updated. Suites have amenities like refrigerators that regula...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
paramus
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have stayed here many times in the past and have always enjoyed my stay. I am still impressed by the staff and the service, but the condition of the building and rooms has gone downhill. The first room i was checked in to had peeling wallpaper and stained carpet, cobwebs in the corners, and very dirty windows. I asked to be moved to another room and it was not much better. The windows looked like they hadn't been washed in a very long time, and there was still peeling wallpaper, although not as bad. The carpet in the hallways is threadbare, and the walls and woodwork are marked up. Looks like there has not been any maintenance inside or out for many, many months. The paint is peeling off the building and the parking lot is full of sand from winter. I must say that the gardens are looking good, and the food was delicious. I may give it another try, but i will have to think long and hard before I do.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rachel10809
Brian B, General Manager at Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Rachel:

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your multiple visits, customers like you are helping us bring the Eagle back to its historic charm.

I am sorry that you found some issues with our hotel this visit. We have been scheduling some extensive renovations and as soon as we have them complete, we will let you know.

Stay tuned and thank you again
Brian
honoluul
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stay at the hotel on Memorial Day weekend in a large bedroom facing the golf course, which meant facing the main road; so was a bit noisy at night with several cars racing up the road. Those who prefer real quiet might ask for rooms facing on the other side of the hotel where there is nothing but woods. Food was basic. We ended up eating at the other hotel nearby. The smallish elevator(only one) was real old with the sliding gates and all. The elevator doors took some effort to open and to close. The place is old and might not be to the tastes of those looking for modern amenities and comforts; but the price is low, the staff very friendly, and the location great. We noticed a window air conditioner sitting in the closet so would presume the rooms are a/c during the summer. Bathroom was definitely a one person operation but with no lack of hot water. Hallway noise can carry into the rooms so ear plugs might be welcomed. Otherwise, a clean, economical place to stay with the charm of the early 20th century.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms facing away from the golf course might also be the quieter rooms. Build up muscles...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 60+male
Thank you for your visit and comments.

You are correct about the elevator with its manual doors. It is an event to ride it.

And we do have many guests that request rooms facing away from the street. Almost as many that want the mountain view.

I agree that our staff is very friendly, they are the best.

Please keep us in mind should your travels return to Jackson.

Thanks again
Brian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel

Been to Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club? Share your experiences!