The Wentworth. Six of nine hotels on a two week stint around New England. It’s in the village of Jackson, which is small but beautiful accessed via the delightful covered bridge! Set on a reasonably large site, there is the main building and several others, all surrounded by mature trees and the opposite a beautiful rushing river.
Looking elegant, if due a repaint over the next couple of years, we were suitably impressed when we entered reception to find an expansive and tasteful room, off of which was the restaurant and a bar. We were warmly welcomed and informed our room was in one of the buildings next door, but not offered help with luggage.
These buildings are attractive, but don’t have the same sense of class. However, don’t be fooled – our room was superb. It was a large suite on the ground floor, with a lounge and fire as you enter, followed by the main room and a large, very attractive bathroom. It was immaculately clean, the furniture was solid and elegant, rather than standard hotel suites and we were childishly excited.
With two TVs and a hi-fi, we watched a movie in front on the fire, listened to some music and then decided to test the beautiful looking Jacuzzi. With candles, bath salts (both provided) music and wine we were… sadly disappointed. It simply swirled the water around rather than actually creating any sense of being in a hot tub. We had to splash to make the bubbles ourselves and eventually gave up and drained the water. What a shame. As an aside, when we called reception to informed them the hairdryer was broken, we were pleased to have a new one delivered within minutes.
That done, we went to the restaurant and, although everyone spoke as though in a library, we had a wonderful evening. This is certainly a slightly more sophisticated eatery, so make sure you dress accordingly. The menus ‘turned on’ and glowed when opened, presenting varied selection, all of which was very enjoyable. Wine was very expensive, but the service was friendly and we left thoroughly satisfied.
Creaking/cracking heating pipes made for a slightly disturbed sleep and when we awake, we returned to the restaurant for breakfast. With both a continental and hot selection included, we ate plenty to set us up for the day and again, found this to be of a very good quality. However, when given our bill, we discovered the phrase “gratuities not included” both highlighted in yellow and underlined. We always tip generously while in America, but as English tourists, find this approach virtually akin to begging and totally unprofessional in an elegant restaurant. They may as well put a tin on the table labelled, “staff welfare fund, please give generously”. Not impressed.
We then returned to the room and found that although someone had been in, the bed clearly had not been made with any care – it had been thrown together and looked nothing like it did on arrival. So, no tip was left for room service!
We stayed for a further night, which adds nothing more to the review. This is a classy and very pleasant hotel, with an excellent restaurant. But we were surprised and disappointed with two examples of poor staff, so that marred the visit somewhat. Assuming that staff can be trained better, this is certainly somewhere we would recommend and return to if in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the majestic White Mountains of Jackson, New Hampshire, The Wentworth is a charming, 50-room inn within close proximity to cross country skiing, a stunning golf course and an abundance of year-round, outdoor activities. Surrounded by the beauty of nature, this picturesque inn in Jackson, NH, enjoys a unique position among New Hampshire hotels. Our idyllic setting provides a temporary escape from life’s everyday stresses and allows guests the freedom to reconnect, rediscover, and recharge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda and Priceline so you can book your The Wentworth reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Wentworth Hotel Jackson
- The Wentworth Jackson, NH - White Mountains