“Nice meal, disappointing room”
Review of Monadnock Inn

Monadnock Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Jaffrey B&B and Inns
Hinckley, United Kingdom
“Nice meal, disappointing room”
Reviewed 16 October 2007

We booked the Inn at Jaffrey because it was conveniently on our way from Vermont to Boston. The inn is welcoming on the outside, parts of the inside could do with a bit of a sprucing up. For instance, the stair and landing carpets were quite worn and the en-suite bathroom could do with a bit of TLC - it was a decent size but the paint was flaking from the walls and ceiling. The bedroom (203) was ok, but was a bit small (no room for bedside tables) and the ceilings were again flaky. Being at the front of the Inn, it suffered from noise from the public areas and we had to resort to earplugs to be able to sleep. The website gave the impression of luxurious bedrooms, but I wouldn't say that this was the case in 203.

The evening meal we had was quite nice. We were particularly impressed with Sandy, the waitress/Jackie of all trades, who was very helpful and friendly. Max was also very helpful and helped us to navigate our way to our hotel in Boston, without his clear directions we would have ended up in a terrible mess!

• Liked — Convenient location, helpful staff
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Toodlepippus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
nyc
Reviewed 8 August 2007

The Inn at Jaffrey Center, while not in the center of town, is a traditional American inn. The rooms are spacious and fulfill the "quaintness" criteria: if you close one eye or one side of the brain, you can pretend to be in an earlier century or in the household of an eccentric but ultimately loving grand-aunt. The dining room closes early and there is no AC. However, our dinner was lovely, if a little overpriced. On a screened-in porch, we had, among other dishes, wonderful lamb, tomato salad, and fresh bread. The staff at the Jaffrey Center Inn were friendly, spirited, and relatively young. The pub seemed lively and there are many options for rocking-away a few hours on the porch.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank I1240DMdanielr
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 12 June 2007

This 100-year-old inn was quaint and seemed like it was out of a storybook. At night I was afraid of walking up the other guests because the floors creaked. Be sure to request a room on the 3rd floor! The room I stayed in (Bonnie Room) had the most comfortable bed and the heaters, while old, worked very well. It's a laid-back atmosphere so don't be in a rush if you need to check in or out in a hurry. The innkeepers are usually tending to other tasks (such as making breakfast when I wanted to check out) before they can help you. I would go back and stay at the inn though for a real taste of New England life.

• Liked — the serene location
  • Disliked — noise from creaky floors and restaurant below
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 30 March 2006

On a recent trip back east, I had the delightful experience of discovering the Inn at Jaffrey Center,in Jaffrey, New Hampshire. It was truly a unique New England experience!!! The rooms were not only adorable, but cozy as can be. The smell of the home cooked breakfast was what got my boys out of bed each morning. After fabulous days of shopping and sightseeing, it was a pleasure to spend some time in the lounge hob-nobbing with the locals and hearing their tales. I loved the convenience of the restaurant on site so that once we were "home" for the day, we could just sit back and relax. An added bonus was Max, one of the owners of the Inn, who was great at entertaining my two boys and made them feel that they too were important guests at the Inn. It is very rare that a child is made to feel so important and one that made my boys feel like a million bucks!!! We all ended our visit very relaxed and were sad to have had the time go by so quickly. I believe that my boys left with a bit of "Davey Crocket" in their blood after a wonderful, country experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2006

I've stayed at the Inn at Jaffrey Center several times, and I must say I find it to be one of the most charming inns in the world. Having lived as an ex-patriate in Quebec and Western Europe, I can say that the inn ranks among the most lovely places I have stayed. The rooms are very much "old world"... very comfortable, great antiques, crisp linens and most modern bath facilities. The staff is exceptionally courteous, professional & friendly. I sleep so well here, I hate to get up. But the freshly cooked hearty country breakfast is incentive to get out of bed.

As for the bar and inn, they are unrivalled. Max, the bartender and co-owner makes guests feel like family. Noel (co-owner) manages the kitchen which is known throughout the area for it's fine food. Sitting near the roaring fire in the dining room and enjoying a top-notch gourmet meal is truly a pleasure. Topped off with a drink in the antique bar before bed and the visit can be akin to a dream. The Inn at Jaffrey Center gets 5 stars in my book.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 25 June 2005

We were given a night at the inn of our choice in the Jaffrey area as an anniversary gift and to facilitate attendance at a family event nearby. We tried to find some choices, but came to find that the Innat Jaffrey was the only place with many rooms available. After our stay there it was easy to understand why they had so many empty rooms.

First, it was an unusually hot June day/night. We were in a 3rd floor room, and it was baking. They have NO air conditioning, and there was not even a fan in our room. We had to ask for one. We were also surprised to find that an inn that did not offer television or even much in the way of seating in the rooms also did not offer any common room for the guests. We quickly discovered why.

The whole first floor of the inn is a restaurant, and as some of the other reviews here make clear, the restaurant is their #1 priority. We did not choose to eat there as we wanted some A/C for comfort. It may be good, but that does not change the fact that the inn as an inn is nothing to recommend. A window in our room was broken with taped plastic over it making it impossible to open. While the rooms are nicely decorated, attention to the details of true cleanliness is also lacking throughout. The people working there were perfectly nice, but they made no effort to ask after our comfort, to check in with how we were doing, or anything else. When dinnertime arrived, that clearly became their only focus.

It cooled enough at night that we could sleep, more or less. But the next morning we had to be at breakfast between 7:30 and 9:00 -- we later assumed this was because of the 10:00 Sunday brunch that was, once again, clearly the inn's #1 priority. While we have often stayed at B&B's with only one food option for breakfast, at this inn not only was there only one option, we were never even told what it was until it was sitting in front of us. As a vegetarian, I was shocked to be given a plate of eggs with bacon slathered on top of them without ever having been asked if this was acceptable. When I said as much I received an icy look which was repeated when a new plate of eggs was brought several minutes later. We were never offered juice -- had to ask for it as did others we saw eating, and in general this whole experience was incredibly disappointing. No apologies were offered to us either -- seems this is their policy per another review here.

Do not stay here unless you want to eat and drink downstairs to your heart's content and not worry about driving home. It is not an inn, it is a restaurant with some bedrooms upstairs.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank RinfromMA

Travellers are raving about these Jaffrey hotels

Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 February 2005

Our stay at the inn was a big disappointment. It started when we arrived to learn that one of the rooms we reserved would not be available. We had reserved one room with a queen bed and a room with 2 twins for our daughters. The twin room was not available and the only room they had to offer was a very small room with a full bed. As my daughters don't do well sharing a bed, a fact I had told one of the innkeepers when making the reservation, this was not a good option. We ended up giving the girls our room and they put a cot in it while we had the very small room -- not what we had planned!! She told me that she attempted to call us that day but I did not have a message at home or on my cell phone. If I had known of the change, I would have attempted to find another inn.

We did have a very nice dinner, the food was good. The service was slow which was fine. We then went upstairs, it was 9:30 and the girls went to bed. At 10, a party of 35 to 40 people arrived coming from an art auction -- as the pub is at the bottom of the stairs and our rooms were at the top, we were all unable to sleep while the party went on. My husband and I each went down on separate occasions and were told they would be leaving soon -- the party ended at midnight!! If it hadn't been for the pounding of the heating pipes every 1 1/2 hours, we might then have gotten some sleep.

I think the worst thing of all was that when we came down the next morning, not one of the innkeepers said anything about the noise from the night before even though they were fully aware that it had been a problem for us. It wasn't until we went to check out and my husband spoke to owner about the night that the conversation came up. At no time did any one apologize -- instead there was an excuse for everything. We in no way could recommend this inn. It will actually be a long time before we attempt to stay at any inn again.

• Stayed January 2005
2 Thank camptim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaffrey
Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown
#1 of 4 in Jaffrey
Jack Daniels Motor Inn
Jack Daniels Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Peterborough

Been to Monadnock Inn? Share your experiences!