“Doesn't provide a comfortable feel”
Review of Monadnock Inn

Monadnock Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Jaffrey B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“Doesn't provide a comfortable feel”
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Myself and my family just stayed there for a visit to the Pumpkin Festival in Keene, NH. The first thing that we found frustrating was that they recently changed the name of the Inn to the Monadnock Inn without informing any of their guests prior to arrival. That is just common courtesy to us. When we checked in at the front desk, we were informed that we must keep our bathroom door shut or it would set of the fire alarm. If that happened we would be charged the fine of the fire dept. Now, we havea 2 year old who does not always understand, so needless to say it shower time wasn't relaxing. This would have been helpful to know when booking. Also, the breakfast was nicely laid out, but disappointing to say the least. Basically a continental breakfast which they were not quick to replenish when food was running dry. Our suite was nice and clean and it was nice to have an extra room with our child. I did read before arriving that the bed was very short which my husband commented on - and we are not very tall! They just were turning on the heat on a very chilly day and the rooms were very stuffy and dry. We have traveled a lot and this is definitely not high on our list of recommnendations.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelingmom816

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
camper46
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Had a great meal there and loved it. Real good staff.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank camper46
London
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I suspect we visitied in the off season as we were the only people staying and it felt a bit like the place has been opened up just for us. We booked the Denis Suite which I was expecting to be one of the better rooms however the bed was really tiny (barely more than a single) and did not make for a great night's sleep. Also the heating came on full blast in the middle of the night and turned the rrom into a sauna despite the windows being wide open. Perhaps if there had been someone to greet us they could have explained a few things however, the owners had gone out for memorial day and left us to let ourselves in. The restaurant was shut for both nights that we stayed although we did find some places that were pretty good in nearby Peterborough.

We saw one of the other rooms (202 I think?) and it looked a bit bigger so perhaps we were just unlucky. Seems like the place has potential but not sure we would rush back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed 16 March 2009

The Inn at Jaffrey Center is an extremely charming inn located right down the way from the shopping center of Jaffrey. Max and his staff were very professional and extremely generous and kind. My travel partner and I were attending a class during the off season in the area, and when I contacted them asking if they would be willing to take a reduced rate, Max called me and offered me more than I had even asked for. Upon arrival at the inn, we were given the key to our room. The room was gorgeous: two queen beds with comfortable pillows and warm comforters as well as adorable antique pieces (Kelly Room). The bathroom was well-equipped and spotless. After perusing the menu, my companion and I decided to eat dinner there. I'm so glad we did. The steak and haddock we enjoyed were out of this world. It made us excited about the breakfast included with our room. After dinner, we both wanted some tea (which we had packed with us). I asked Max if they had hot water for tea anywhere. He actually got us two little silver tea kettles and glasses. He also told us where we could more water should we need it. Great service and so friendly! Breakfast was equally fabulous! We had eggs, bacon, and toast. The toast was actually made from their homemade bread. Yum! There were a few tiny cosmetic things that I saw that I would consider just a part of staying in an older inn but certainly nothing that would denote the disrepair I read about in another review. Overall, stay here for a fun time. I can't wait to bring back my husband because the little tavern looks like it is just his speed!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank unitedhealing
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2008

While the Inn is a few miles outside downtown Jaffrey, it's well worth the trip. It is convenient to Peterborough, Rindge or Keene too.

The rooms are quirky but comfortable. The two I've enjoyed have had very nice beds and bathrooms with interesting decorations. Plus their website does a great job at showing what each room offers.

The Inn has wireless broadband if you need to check your email. While there's not much cell service nearby, the back parking lot has some service if you need to check your voicemail.

But most importantly, the staff is very friendly and the food is amazing. I've had two great meals there. The wine list needs a few more high level wines but the owner is working on it.

I'm going back in a few weeks. You should try it too.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2007

We booked the Inn at Jaffrey because it was conveniently on our way from Vermont to Boston. The inn is welcoming on the outside, parts of the inside could do with a bit of a sprucing up. For instance, the stair and landing carpets were quite worn and the en-suite bathroom could do with a bit of TLC - it was a decent size but the paint was flaking from the walls and ceiling. The bedroom (203) was ok, but was a bit small (no room for bedside tables) and the ceilings were again flaky. Being at the front of the Inn, it suffered from noise from the public areas and we had to resort to earplugs to be able to sleep. The website gave the impression of luxurious bedrooms, but I wouldn't say that this was the case in 203.

The evening meal we had was quite nice. We were particularly impressed with Sandy, the waitress/Jackie of all trades, who was very helpful and friendly. Max was also very helpful and helped us to navigate our way to our hotel in Boston, without his clear directions we would have ended up in a terrible mess!

• Liked — Convenient location, helpful staff
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Toodlepippus

Travellers are raving about these Jaffrey hotels

nyc
Reviewed 8 August 2007

The Inn at Jaffrey Center, while not in the center of town, is a traditional American inn. The rooms are spacious and fulfill the "quaintness" criteria: if you close one eye or one side of the brain, you can pretend to be in an earlier century or in the household of an eccentric but ultimately loving grand-aunt. The dining room closes early and there is no AC. However, our dinner was lovely, if a little overpriced. On a screened-in porch, we had, among other dishes, wonderful lamb, tomato salad, and fresh bread. The staff at the Jaffrey Center Inn were friendly, spirited, and relatively young. The pub seemed lively and there are many options for rocking-away a few hours on the porch.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank I1240DMdanielr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaffrey
Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown
#1 of 4 in Jaffrey
Jack Daniels Motor Inn
Jack Daniels Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Peterborough

Been to Monadnock Inn? Share your experiences!