“Warm and cozy, welcoming and inviting, that has been our experience, every time we stop at this delightful Inn & Pub”
Review of Monadnock Inn

Monadnock Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Jaffrey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Have had the chance to stay at this Inn on a number of occaisions (family in the area, kids at local schools, and the area is one we really enjoy) and have always meant to write a review to share this hidden gem with others.
The Inn, which as just 13 rooms, is clearly very old (and creaky) but so prettily decorated, is so comfortable and relaxing. The staff and owners are very friendly and make every effort to make all feel welcome and yet allow folks to have their privacy.
Rooms are lovely, beds comfy and a great place to rest and recuperte.
The restaraunt is wonderful, menus interesting and food, always beautifully presented, is delicious. The pub is small but cozy and the changes made over the past ffew years have expanded space for sitting back and enjoying a drink or coffee. We look forward to our next stay - probably in the srping

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 July 2010

What a disappointment this place has become. We are locals who would go to the Inn from time to time for dinner. When Noel and Stephen took over we where so impressed with the food, staff, friendliness, etc. The recent revamp was terrific. But the last couple of times have turned us off for good. Service has become slow, non-attentive and snippy. The food - mediocre at best. Portions have shrunk, the flavor lacking. Worst of all, on our last visit, I ordered the skirt steak caprese. Over-cooked, unseasoned, as tough as leather and missing a key ingredient. When I brought it to the attention of Max, he went back to get the basil pesto, only to return empty handed and avoiding me. When we inquired again, I was told Noel insisted she already put it on the steak and refused to give him more, and that the steak was fine. Excuse me?!?!

I guess some early success and critical accolades have gone to some peoples heads.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pc12drvr
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Sadly, I agree with the other reviewer who stated that it was the worst Inn Ever especially when you take into account the crazy high price. We were charged $160/night for two adults plus $40/night for two kids. When I asked them "why the extra for the kids" the reply was for sheets and towels. OK, except they never changed the sheets or towels once during our stay. The beds were truly horrible - I mean old, lumpy and you will need a chiropractor when you get home horrible. Breakfast was a joke as putting out a box of corn flakes in the morning does not count as breakfast when you pay $200/night. The staff is not particularly friendly. The most telling part of our stay was 1) two other couples we met at breakfast all complained about the same issues saying that they would never stay there again plus 2) the owners indicated that they recently changed the name from “The Inn at Jaffrey Center” to “The Monadnock Inn” to try to get away from the negative reviews. A name change alone will not make visitors happy. I cannot recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank 88fun911
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Myself and my family just stayed there for a visit to the Pumpkin Festival in Keene, NH. The first thing that we found frustrating was that they recently changed the name of the Inn to the Monadnock Inn without informing any of their guests prior to arrival. That is just common courtesy to us. When we checked in at the front desk, we were informed that we must keep our bathroom door shut or it would set of the fire alarm. If that happened we would be charged the fine of the fire dept. Now, we havea 2 year old who does not always understand, so needless to say it shower time wasn't relaxing. This would have been helpful to know when booking. Also, the breakfast was nicely laid out, but disappointing to say the least. Basically a continental breakfast which they were not quick to replenish when food was running dry. Our suite was nice and clean and it was nice to have an extra room with our child. I did read before arriving that the bed was very short which my husband commented on - and we are not very tall! They just were turning on the heat on a very chilly day and the rooms were very stuffy and dry. We have traveled a lot and this is definitely not high on our list of recommnendations.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Travelingmom816
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Had a great meal there and loved it. Real good staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank camper46
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I suspect we visitied in the off season as we were the only people staying and it felt a bit like the place has been opened up just for us. We booked the Denis Suite which I was expecting to be one of the better rooms however the bed was really tiny (barely more than a single) and did not make for a great night's sleep. Also the heating came on full blast in the middle of the night and turned the rrom into a sauna despite the windows being wide open. Perhaps if there had been someone to greet us they could have explained a few things however, the owners had gone out for memorial day and left us to let ourselves in. The restaurant was shut for both nights that we stayed although we did find some places that were pretty good in nearby Peterborough.

We saw one of the other rooms (202 I think?) and it looked a bit bigger so perhaps we were just unlucky. Seems like the place has potential but not sure we would rush back.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2009

The Inn at Jaffrey Center is an extremely charming inn located right down the way from the shopping center of Jaffrey. Max and his staff were very professional and extremely generous and kind. My travel partner and I were attending a class during the off season in the area, and when I contacted them asking if they would be willing to take a reduced rate, Max called me and offered me more than I had even asked for. Upon arrival at the inn, we were given the key to our room. The room was gorgeous: two queen beds with comfortable pillows and warm comforters as well as adorable antique pieces (Kelly Room). The bathroom was well-equipped and spotless. After perusing the menu, my companion and I decided to eat dinner there. I'm so glad we did. The steak and haddock we enjoyed were out of this world. It made us excited about the breakfast included with our room. After dinner, we both wanted some tea (which we had packed with us). I asked Max if they had hot water for tea anywhere. He actually got us two little silver tea kettles and glasses. He also told us where we could more water should we need it. Great service and so friendly! Breakfast was equally fabulous! We had eggs, bacon, and toast. The toast was actually made from their homemade bread. Yum! There were a few tiny cosmetic things that I saw that I would consider just a part of staying in an older inn but certainly nothing that would denote the disrepair I read about in another review. Overall, stay here for a fun time. I can't wait to bring back my husband because the little tavern looks like it is just his speed!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank unitedhealing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaffrey
Benjamin Prescott Inn
#1 of 1 in Peterborough
Days Inn Keene NH
Days Inn Keene NH
#5 of 6 in Keene

Been to Monadnock Inn? Share your experiences!