“Terrific boutique in Keene”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Boston, MA
“Terrific boutique in Keene”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

The lane hotel was an a very pleasant surprise. My wife and I recently stated here for a weekend getaway, and were wowed by our absolutely massive, and comfortable room. I'm a pretty big bed snob, and the one in our room passed the test. The decor both in our room and in the lobby felt very new and tastefully done - something neither of us had expected. The staff was helpful and friendly on check/in and checkout as well.

All in all, a great stay and someplace I'd definitely stay at again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerAB, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown, responded to this review, 13 August 2011
Dear Freiert,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review, we certainly appreciate it. I have to confess that I am kind of a bed snob too, and fortunately so is one of our owners. He decided it was worth spending, what at the end of the day, was a pretty considerable amount of extra money on the beds; and it was well worth it. They are some of the best beds in the industry and after a couple of nights on one you can REALLY tell the difference.

I am very happy that the team at the Lane Hotel took great care of you and we certainly look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the lovely town of Keene.

Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We just stayed here for 2 nights, in one of the townhouse rooms. The rooms were immaculate and super stylish and comfortable. Everything seemed to be brand new, and the staff was very courteous and helpful. The location is perfect, right in town, walking distance to great restaurants, etc. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We were in the lower level, huge room, beautifully decorated, very comfortable for family of 6

We'll be back

Thanks

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Q_warrior,

Thanks for the great feedback, I am so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay. We have many different room types at the Lane, so have the flexibility to cater to lots of different needs. We hope to see you again soon.

Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2011

This small, in-town boutique hotel is perfect. We found it on tripadvisor and loved everything about it. The front-desk and management people were delightful and very accommodating, with one serving our drinks during "happy hour" which is offered gratis each evening in the lobby. Our room and bath were very large with high ceilings, large windows and high-end amenities. The hotel has gone through a recent redo (from the studs out) and gets lots of style points but not at the cost of comfort. Parking is free in a garage behind the hotel. We travel through Keene each year on our way to and from Maine and just love this little town. This hotel is a tremendous addition to this region.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear VirginiaJake,

Thank you so much for the positive and detailed review of the Lane Hotel. I am glad to see that you found the hotel through Tripadvisor, it’s such a great site for researching hotels beforehand and we really appreciate all the feedback we have been getting since our full renovation in May. I hope that you will stop by again on your way to Maine next year (if not sooner).

I love that people call the hotel a "Gem", or "Jewel", I think that pretty much sums it up in one word.

All the best.

On the road
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My husband, sister, and brother-in-law stayed at The Lane for three nights. We'd originally booked two rooms for two nights, TH & FR, and then, because those rooms were sold out for Saturday, booked the suite/loft room to share. The hotel is attractively designed in a contemporary style. Ceilings are high and there's lots of exposed brick. King beds are lovely, with lots of fluffy pillows.

The front desk staff is eager to please. When we arrived, one of the rooms had been upgraded to the suite for the entire time, which was fun. The suite/loft is dramatic, with lots of open space. It's too bad more space wasn't used in the upstairs bathroom-- it could have used more sink counter space as well as a larger shower.

Soundproofing is important to me in hotels. The walls were pretty good in that regard and the hallways' plush carpeting kept down some noise, but the doors seemed thin & conversations, folks knocking on other doors, etc., came through. Those doors also let out a lot of things one might prefer stayed private-- coming off the elevator one evening, we walked smack into a family fight, at least, that's what it seemed like. We could hear quite a bit coming from the room opposite the elevator, and, even worse, although our room was two or three doors down, the bathroom vent made an excellent conduit for the goings on. Had we wanted to keep tabs on the situation, we could have. Instead, we opted to shut the bathroom door and go to sleep.

Little nitpicky things: the key cards kept needing to be re-coded. Parking is free but is on the unsheltered upper level of an outdoor lot and there's no elevator, so unless you've dropped a friend & your luggage at the curb, you'll be lugging down stairs, across an outdoor lot-- also uncovered-- up a long ramp and through several hallways as you make your way to the front desk. I hope the hotel's future plans include some kind of awning or other covering from the parking lot to the back entrance.

The desk staff said, a couple of times, that booking through Expedia, as we did, usually led to more hassle in the event of cancellation or other issue, and that we could usually get the same or better rates by booking directly with the hotel. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I thought I'd mention it.

All in all, we were very glad to have found The Lane Hotel-- Keene needed a stylish, fun, boutique alternative to the usual chains, and The Lane is it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank klbzklbz
GeneralManagerAB, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown, responded to this review, 2 July 2011
Dear klbzklbz,

Thank you so much for the great feedback, I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you will be back soon. I think you described the rooms perfectly and I am very happy to hear how pleased you were with the staff and the room.

I do understand your concern regarding the parking, and that it is not covered. We strongly encourage guests to check-in on Main Street, where there are spaces reserved for unloading. This makes it easier with luggage. As you mention we do have complimentary dedicated parking for the hotel (which is fortunate being right downtown), but is is a short walk across the parking lot. I will certainly look into the possibility of a covered awning for our property, and appreciate that suggestion.

I do apologize for the inconvenience from the neighboring room. As you mention the walls and floors are well sound proofed, a benefit of the brick construction. I did take a look the rooms and we have made some adjustments to the lower door sweeps in some areas; these help seal the door and at the same time also helps reduce noise. I expect that this will help, but again I appreciate your feedback, especially as we are so new and are always looking for ways to improve!

I loved your quote "we were very glad to have found The Lane Hotel-- Keene needed a stylish, fun, boutique alternative to the usual chains, and The Lane is it"

Again thank you and please don't hesitate to contact us, or me personally, if your plans ever involve a visit to Keene, we would love to host you again.

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 June 2011

After reading several reivews and needing to stay in the Keene area for a night with my husband and 14 year old, I booked a great rate at the newly renovated Lane hotel. I agree with folks:
- the front desk folks are knowledgeable
- the black and white room motif is pleasant, the rooms larger than usual
- the beds are comfy but sheets need to be a bit softer
- the breakfast variety could be bigger but the yogurt parfait was lovely, the coffee fresh, and the muffins and danish fresh also

My own experiences:
- I was told we were getting a room with 2 queen beds (my husband is 6'2" and needs the extra length) and we got 2 double beds...
- The checkin time starts at 3:00. We arrived at 5:00, and was told our room wasn't ready yet. The same happened to other folks arriving around the same time.

That aside, all in all a great stay. I am up in the area once or twice a year and if there is a summer special equivalent to the special running righ now (June / July 2011), will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Great location in beautiful Keene on Main street.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear MsCasualTravelor,

Thank you for your recent review of "the Lane Hotel" in beautiful downtown Keene. I am glad you found the previous reviews useful in making your choice of hotel to stay at, and that you agreed with their feedback. I was a little confused regarding your comments about the bed type, as we do not have any rooms with two Double beds, all our rooms feature either a King bed (often with an additional sleep-sofa) or two Queen beds. I apologize if I may have misunderstood something.

I do also want to apologize that we did not have a room ready for you right away upon your arrival; we work diligently to have rooms ready as early as possible and I hope that when you come for your next stay you will experience this, and that we will have a room ready and waiting for you.

Please feel free to contact the hotel (or myself) directly to inquire about any seasonal specials we maybe offering. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Brockton, MA
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I recently stayed at The Lane Hotel in Keene, NH and it was a terrific hotel. It had just re-opened in May. The staff was wonderful. They could not have been more helpful in giving suggestions for restaurants or helping with directions. The hotel is right on the Main Street and you can easily walk to a number of restaurants which were fabulous and many stores. There is free parking in the back of the hotel. The room itself was wonderful! The bed was so comfy and the room was very large. I was so impressed with everything about this hotel. There is a continental breakfast in the morning which you do have to pay for (it would be nice if it was complimentary). It was reasonable but if you wanted to pick up breakfast on your own there are many options along the main street outside the hotel. They are in the process of getting their liquor license and in the mean time they are offering free beer or wine to quests from 6 to 7 p.m. This was a very nice surprise. Try The Lane Hotel. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Dear MCMcBrockton_MA,

Thank you very much for your review and for recommending us to other users, as you noted I am sure they will not be disappointed. The hotel very recently re-opened after a full renovation and the feedback we have received has been fantastic. I am most happy that everyone has been so impressed with the staff and service at the hotel. Being a smaller hotel this is of utmost importance to us and we really like to go that little bit extra to make sure our guests have an exceptional stay. I am very proud of our team at the Lane Hotel and have shared your feedback with them.

While all of our rooms have similar furnishings (including new flat panel TV's, individual Keurig coffee makers & I-Home clock-radios to name a few), each is still individual and has it's own character, and as you noted they tend to be larger than a typical hotel. For example some rooms feature whirlpool tubs, exposed brick, large two story windows, and many other architecturally pleasing details that we maintained and incorporated into the renovation. Please come back sometime and check out some of the other room types if you get a chance!

P.S. we are still awaiting our liquor license, which we hope to have for August. In the meantime we continue to offer a complementary managers reception each night, featuring select beers and wines for our registered guests.

Once again, thank you for your positive review.

Area General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
Best Western Plus Keene Hotel
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Colonial Motel & Spa
Colonial Motel & Spa
#4 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown? Share your experiences!