“Service here sucked!”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Toms River, NJ
“Service here sucked!”
Reviewed 22 October 2006

We stayed at the Keene, NH Super8 10/19/06 – 10/22/06 in rooms 213 & 215. On Friday afternoon 10/20/06 the power went out around 4:30 pm. When we arrived back at motel around 10:30-11:00 pm the power was still out. I Went down to speak to the person behind the counter and greeted by a very unapologetic, rude, little man (I later found out later his name was Jim). He gave me a flashlight and told me that the power should be back on by 2-3 am. I asked him what our options were since we had NO power, no heat, no TV, no internet access, absolutely nothing. He said we could check out and go to another hotel that was approx. hour away and pay double or just stay there. When I asked if the night was going to be free or at least discounted he proceeded to tell me it was,”An act of god.” And that he would need to “see what the power company was going to do for them.” The power did not come back on until after 6:00 am, over 12 hours without power. I do not believe that our experience should have been dictated by what the power company was going to do for them. He was very rude and of absolutely no help. He claimed that 1000’s were without power but every business in every direction directly surrounding the motel had power. Half of the motel had power and half did not. I do not feel that I should have had to pay a dime for that night since we were staying for 3 nights. He should have not charged us for the 1 night that we did not have any power. We looked into checking out and although other hotels had availability for that night they did not have any for the following night so we were forced to stay there. We were stuck staying 8 hours from home in a hotel with out any electricity. The man behind the counter was a rude, nasty, little man that had a take it or leave it attitude who kept bringing up God as the cause of the power outage. When all was said and done they decided to knock off 15% for that night only on an already inflated price. This reminds me, he never gave me my credit card back after the transaction. Coincidence? I don’t think so. I will be sure to call my credit card company and dispute the charge and cancel that credit card before he tries to charge anything on it. You should be embarrassed that this person works for your company and how this was handled. Obviously nobody knew when the power would come back on but the way he handled it was completely inappropriate. We visit Keene 2-3 times a year (we have family there) and always get 2 rooms(1 for my wife and I and one for her parents) we usually spend a week or more with 2 rooms in Keene every year and will make sure we take our business elsewhere from now on.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude nasty service
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay anywhere else but here!!!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank LaVecchia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 November 2005

Super 8 in Keene, NH is the place to go for a weekend getaway. My wife and I were here for 2 days and we loved it. The friendly staff, and professionalism really put a smile on our faces. The entire place was very clean, and the desk staff was quick with any of our questions or concerns.
You must visit Borders Books for there excellent selection of books. And for some great meals, we visited the Olive Garden twice, and also the Longhorn restaurant. So for a quiet little getaway, the Super 8 in Keene, NH is the place to visit.

Sincerly

Mr. & Mrs. James Mendes
Nashua, NH

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rumford, Maine
Reviewed 13 August 2005

The Super 8 chain can be uneven, but this particular site is clean, shiny and new looking, although I don't think it's really newly built. Amenities including shampoo in rooms, nice staff, lowest prices in the Keene area (although if you need a bargain, continue ten miles west to Brattleboro, Vermont where prices in the motels on Route 5 are much lower). The location is inaccessible to the center of town without a car (can't walk along the limited access design highways) but has a cul de sac right behind it with numerous chain stores, including Borders Books and chain restaurants. If you need to be in Keene in particular, it's a good place to stay. If you're shopping price alone, consider the Brattleboro area.

4 Thank Garnier
Montreal, QC
Reviewed 1 July 2005

The Super 8 in Keene is a good value, clean and friendly hotel. The rooms are of average size, our room had two double beds, a dresser and a desk. There is no enclosed closet, but there is an iron and ironing board provided. Soundproofing is good as we heard no noise from our neighbors. The bathroom is small, but very clean. Breakfast in the morning is included and was very good, there is even a make-your-own waffle station and a dedicated breakfast attendant. The downside to breakfast is that they only have 4 small tables in the lobby area. The property is next to a mall that includes a liquor outlet and several restaurants including a Chili's and a soon to open Olive Garden. We would return again.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank themoon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
Best Western Plus Keene Hotel
#8 of 10 in Brattleboro
Colonial Motel & Spa
Colonial Motel & Spa
#4 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Days Inn Keene NH? Share your experiences!