“They kept my money and didn't give me another stay” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Margate Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Laconia
Boston, Massachusetts
“They kept my money and didn't give me another stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband and I and kids wanted to go to New Hampshire Columbus Day weekend searched high and low for a hotel and couldn't find one. I came across The Margate Resort and they had some rooms available we were all excited. The price not bad 140.00 with tax for one night. I read reviews on the resort some were not great others were ok but that didn't faze me at all, at least we had a place to stay on such a busy weekend. The stay was for October 12th and check out the 13th.On the Friday night something unexpected happened, I got a blood clot in my leg which left me un able to walk and in a lot of pain. The next morning I called and told the resort that we had to cancel due to the emergency which happened the night before. Hoping that since I booked the room Friday at 2:30pm that would have at least given me a credit on my stay. Nope... I couldn't believe that..
They told me that they couldn't give me a refund which to me I already knew that and that if my room got booked that they would refund me back...That's bull... on their policy it says nothing about not giving a credit, it does say not refunding deposit if cancel 7 days or less. They kept my money and didn't even give me a credit for another stay at a later date. Unbelievable.. I guess they don't want my business. They also told me they couldn't refund me the money because of the high volume around the Columbus Day weekend and that they could of given my room to someone else. Well I just called at 6:30pm to see if anyone booked the room and the girl told me they have quite a few rooms still vacant and that they couldn't refund me until all the rooms had been rented out. Whatever....Thought they had a high volume this weekend. I always travel and stay at lots of resorts we are even timeshare owners I have never came across people who didn't care about their customers. They already have my money, I just wanted to go back another weekend. That's ok I know better now. I just hope people read this and think twice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank C C
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
First I want to apologize for your unfortunate mishap, and I hope you are feeling better. We do have hotel policies in place and we adhere to them. Most hotel and airline cancellation policies are similar, and do not give refunds or credit for people who cancel within period of time prior to the check in date. Also, we cannot predict exactly how full the property will be on any given weekend. It sounds like our front desk manager went above and beyond, trying to make an exception for you, letting you know that we would refund your money if we were able to resell your room for you. It seems unfortunately that we were not able to resell the room with the limited time to do so before the arrival date. Thank you for your review, and I wish you well.

Kyle Parisi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Nottingham, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

According to the amenties list of this resort, it had free WiFi in the rooms which was important to us as we had certain things we needed to finish off. When we called, we asked if they had a handicap room available which they did. That was also important as we were travelling with my 93 yr. old mother who had difficulty walking on her own ( needs a walker or WC). So far so good. As it turned out, the password they gave us to access Wifi did not work. We called the office twice and both times were told "nobody else seems to have a problem." REALLY???? If it didn't work for us, I don't know how it could work for anyone else. So no WiFi!!

Then, the shower area!l. Where to start.....Sometimes the shower nozzle would turn on, sometimes it wouldn't. You had to keep turning it on and off and to try to catch it at its good moment! At first glance, I noticed there wasn't any "lip" to the shower area to keep the water in but figured they must have angled the shower stall floor so that the water from the hand held nozzle would flow towards and down the drain area. Well, the hand held, if left on the hook, just shot straight down to the floor. That means you had to hold it. So if you held it in one hand you had to figure out how to hold both the soap ( as there was no place to place the soap) and the wash cloth in the other hand at the same time. You could put the soap on the floor but that didn't appeal to us! When the shower was complete, we almost slipped and fell on the bathrm floor as the water apparently just runs out of the shower onto the rest of the bathrm floor!

We talked to the front desk about this and they nonchalantly said...well, its designed so you can push a wheelchair right into the shower stall. REALLY???? What about exiting the shower stall with all the water all over the floor???? Aren't they concerned someone is going to slip and fall and possibly kill themselves when they hit there head on something hard in there???

None of us slept and woke up with sore backs due to the mattresses.

We were disgusted to be truthful. The front desk didn't take anything we said seriously, she just talked and went about her business at the same time. The only good thing about this "resort" is there breakfast. Not that there was a tremendous amt of things to pick from but it was decent. What was more impressive to us was the lady who was in charge there. She was constantly busy... making sure tables were clean...the display of various breakfast foods were full, and very helpful to anyone who needed assistance in any way. Kudos to her...I'd hire her in a heartbeat!

So...if you want WFi, find another place. If you need a handicap accessible room, don't bother going there unless you want EVERYONE in your party to end up handicapped by the time they leave.

Room Tip: Don't pick a handicap accessible room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank maggiemae19
Allow me to apologize for your experience here at the Margate Resort. After going through your list of problems you acquired here at The Margate, there doesn’t seem to be a lot we could have done to make this a positive experience for you. Our disability equipped room is ADA compliant with bath facilities designed for individuals confined to a wheelchair. Every bed on property was updated with brand new Sealy Posturepedic mattresses, and triple sheeting bedding sets within the last two years. Our WiFi covers almost every area of our property, including the outside areas, and is checked daily to ensure its functionality. It is a secure network that required a password that we provide to all of our guests. Properly entering the password is critical to enable WiFi access, and it is a very easy password, however it is against hotel policy for our staff members to handle guests devices, as we cannot be held responsible for damaging their expensive equipment. I will thank you for complimenting one of our breakfast staff members; as with all of our staff they are all very diligent and hard working employees. It is also unfortunate to hear that the free breakfast was not adequate, but our breakfast options are actually one of our most highly praised items by our guests in past reviews. Again I am sorry The Margate was not a good fit for you. Thank you for your review and your input.

Hertfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We arrived quite late, we are on our Honeymoon travelling around New England and the booking was only made the night before but the hotel was still informed we were on Honeymoon.

Our room was located across the road in a separate building with no security. The room decor and contents were of a poor tired standard with a random fridge placed in the room that we had to switch off because of the scary loud noise it kept permitting. Basically if we had paid £30-£40 then fair enough because this is all this hotel is worth. But we paid £70+ and trust me, keep driving to a Days Inn or similar.

A telephone call to the staff made no difference who said if we wanted to spend more money then we could have a better room (fair enough but not the money we had paid).

The rooms were dingy, sad, dark. You could hear everything from every neighbour and on our Honeymoon fell asleep listening to the man above snoring.

Breakfast was very good and staff at Breakfast lovely! But that's it...

The website is quite misleading in the pictures. There are no blinds in the rooms so it's dark or everyone in the carpark can see straight in.

A disappointing stay.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JemmaRob
I would like to apologize that your stay was not the best it could have been. Our Inn Building has our lowest rates because it is the furthest from the beach and our main amenities building, however it is where our outdoor pool is located. Where your room was located was not directly linked by the fact that you were on your honeymoon. The Inn Building is utilized if the rest of the property is full, or if this is what your budget allows. It is the most economical choice at the Margate Resort. We are in the process of updating rooms on the property, however all refrigerators were just installed brand new this year. Perhaps it was a defective unit, as things do break down or malfunction occasionally. Again I do apologize, especially since this was your honeymoon. I hope you will reconsider staying with us the next time you are in the region, perhaps in one of our other room types located in the Lake Building. I appreciate your complimenting the breakfast and our staff, I will pass this on. Thank you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

This is the best deal in the area and the location is great being right on the lake. There are restaurants, grocery stores and much more within walking distance. Having a indoor pool is great for rainy days. I love the Keurig coffee makers with the Green Mountain coffee which is a plus. The rooms are probably about 3 star but you can't beat the price for the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and posting a review. I am glad that you enjoyed what we provided for you. I am also happy that you were able to get out and see the area and everything it has to offer for vacationers. Hope to have you back again soon!

Worcester, Ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here with a crew of family and friends for our wedding (not on this property). It was a great experience. I will say that the reservation process and being sure we knew how many rooms we had, who was staying where, getting names spelled right, etc was a little annoying and not perfect at times. But overall, we were thrilled with the clean big rooms, fresh linens and comfortable bedspreads and the beautiful water and waterfront bar.

Room Tip: The rooms on the water are definitely the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nomester100
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time to write a review for the Margate Resort. Feedback from our guests is greatly appreciated. I do apologize for the lengthy reservation process. Between the accuracy of documenting each guest's needs, ensuring the safety of our guests, and keeping up the efficiency of the check in process, this is a necessary evil, but usually makes it smoother in the long run. We had just done some redecorating in our guest rooms, I am happy to see this hasn’t gone unnoticed. Thank you for choosing The Margate, and hope to see you again soon!

Montague, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

As our 10th anniversary get-away, we spent a few days enjoying the Lake Winnipesaukee area, and chose the Margate Resort based on the description, reviews and photos of the hotel. We were very pleased with the accommodations and the location! We found the hotel to be clean, the staff friendly, and the view from our lakefront room gave us spectacular sunsets! Our off season, weekday visit did give us a great rate, however we arrived after the Gazebo Bar had closed, which was disappointing but it would have been too windy and cold to really enjoy anyway! The receptionist at check in gave us a voucher for a free appetizer at a great restaurant nearby, and apologized to us for having missed the Gazebo bar option. Also, the game room was closed, which was not a big deal, but again, a little disappointing. We ate breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel, but the hot breakfast was rather blah... so we opted for the free continental breakfast for the second two mornings, which had a great selection. The pool area was well kept, however we did not opt to use the pool or hot tub, as the water in the hot tub had questionable residue floating on top, which tells me it must have been heavily used during the busy weekend, and not yet cleaned well. We also were impressed with the looks of the beautiful bar area, which unfortunately was never open while we were there. Although the decor was a bit worn, it was still a beautiful hotel. We appreciated that we did not have to go outdoors from the lakefront building to the main building, as the hallways underground led us from one place to another. As we stayed Sunday - Wednesday during off season, the hotel had very few guests, but we could imagine the resort bustling with music and activity during the summer months, with the beach front property lined with lounge chairs filled with guests, and would very much like to stay there again, to be able to enjoy all of the amenities that this hotel does offer.

Room Tip: Lake front rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Margate Resort for your 10 year celebration. Also your detailed review is useful and informative. Some of our amenities, such as the beach bar and the game room etc., are closed down in the off season. As you witnessed, at this time of year our guest count decreases dramatically, making it less feasible to keep them open. I apologize for the hot breakfast not being up to par for you. Again being that time of year, we do not have a full kitchen staff on. But that is no excuse; I have addressed this with our kitchen manager. Our pool area, along with the hot tub is cleaned on a daily basis, so the timing may have been off. Still, I certainly can appreciate your discontent. I am sorry that you were not able to experience all we have to offer, but please know, it is our only goal to provide all our guests with an excellent lakeside location to relax and have some fun, while enjoying the services we provide, at a great value. I am glad you were able to appreciate the lake views and the cleanliness of the property. You hit the nail on the head with your summertime imagination, it is a destination resort for thousands of return guests every year. Thank you again for your review!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We enjoyed our stay at The Margate resort in New Hampshire. - Clean rooms - Cleaned each day - Helpful staff - fantastic breakfasts & great Beach Gazebo Bar! Not far from the great lake of Winnepesaukee - and the Dinner Cruise ship - Mt. Washington. Rates toward the end of the summer make it $ to stay 4 days - Had a great time.

Will come again!!!
~BJW

Room Tip: View of Lake rooms are great - in Main building - front of beach. Also - late Aug. - great rates!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am very happy that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. Yes, the off season rates and our multi-night discounts do add to the attraction of extending your stay in the Lakes Region. Thank you and hope to see you soon!

Kyle Parisi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#6 of 12 in Laconia
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!