“Great Location Nice Stay”
Review of The Margate Resort

The Margate Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Nice hotel stay in the Beautiful lakes region. Price seemed kinda high for off season and it could really use some modern upgrades but overall a nice place to stay. Continental Breakfast was pretty good and we had a Keurig K cup coffee maker in the room which was a nice touch.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for reviewing The Margate on Winnipesaukee. We are constantly doing updates to the property especially in the guest rooms, such as the Keurig coffee makers you mentioned, upgrades this year to 32" flat screen TVs, stainless steel refrigerators, new bedding, and brand new key card systems also this year. The Margate itself is a 60+ year old facility, and will show its age in some areas, however, we do our very best to keep it as clean and functional as possible. I hope you will come back and stay with us in the future, we look forward to serving you again.

There are newer reviews for The Margate Resort

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Loved my romantic stay here. The wonderful outside bar made this trip amazing. We went during the summer and I had wanted to write something for a while now... This place was wonderful. From the friendly fun staff to the clean beautiful room overlooking the lake. Come here when you need to get away from it all. Enjoy the continental breakfast and the amazing food they offer. The lake is clean and a great place for everyone to play! I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing the lake!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review The Margate Resort. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay here. We are known for our romantic getaways, weddings, and all the way up to large corporate functions. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Was referred to this hotel by three different people. As a little girl growing up in southwestern PA I have always wanted to go to New Hampshire. No particular reason. As an adult, I have always wanted to go to Laconia Bike Week. Out of the blue my hubby said lets go to Maine for lobster. So I booked a flight to Manchester, spent two nights at the Margate in Laconia and put over 400 miles on the rental car taking in the beautiful sights of the White Mountains and Laconia and Merideth. I am in LOVE! We will be back next June for bike week and will be staying at the Margate! Although off-season rates are far better! lol A must stop also is the Union Diner! BEST blueberry muffin ever! When I called the Margate to book, Kelsey was so helpful and honost. We were fortunate to meet her in person when we arrived and she is lovely! The hotel is an older hotel/resort. It is not plush by any means. Could use a little TLC; HOWEVER, if you like anything in nostalgic like way.....this is the place to stay! We were here Oct 31 thru Nov 2 and it rained most of the the time....and it was still beautiful. I expected most things in the area to be closed for the season, so I was prepared, however, I wasn't expecting to fall in love with the area and the people. EVERYONE EVERYWHERE we went were extremely friendly and welcoming! Yes, we made it to Maine, drove the coast to Kennebunkport and went to Portsmouth. Great time as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chefbrat

Thank you very much for posting such a great review with us. Although our off season rates are enticing, the summer months i.e. motorcycle week, are where the action is in the Lakes Region. There are so many things to do and see, you will not be disappointed. Our front desk associate Kelsey is an asset to The Margate, along with her personality. I will definitely relay the message. We are constantly doing upgrades to the property, which is an ongoing process. We have done a lot of updating to the guest rooms, switching to key cards instead of brass keys etc, as you will see when you return this summer. I do appreciate your kind words and look forward to your return in a few months.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel is located in a very beautiful spot on the shore of lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire . The view from the resort ground , which is directly on the lake ,is breathtaking and worth spending time in the morning after a sightseeing drive or in the evening after returning . the location is ideal as a base for sightseeing round the lake or to the White Mountains . The lobby and restaurant are very nice . The morning breakfast team is very friendly .
Hotels in the area may get busy , so it's worth making a reservation ahead of time .
There are rooms in the main building with a view to the lake . The rooms at the side are Motel type and have no view .

Room Tip: not in the Motel type rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review of The Margate Resort. We do pride ourselves on the location and the views from different spots on the property. Our breakfast staff will enjoy the compliment, and I will relay the message. You are correct in suggesting a reservation, as we do get seasonally busy, along with other lodging establishments in the Lakes Region. To clarify, our main building does not house any guest rooms, and is amenities only. You may be describing our Lake Building, which is connected to the main building by an underground tunnel, and it is situated overlooking beautiful Lake Winnepesaukee. The West Buildings are motel style accommodations, some with direct access to our sandy beach located within feet of your room. We have 15 different room styles to offer, each one with its own charm and distinction. Again thank you, and I sincerely hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Have been coming here for 20 years. It seems that service has gone down since functions ( weddings etc) have been started. Coffee system did not work, sink was clogged, no cups for water and very late room cleaning.
Continental breakfast is great .
During 2 previous stays in the summer it seems that moored boats have increased. Signs state beach for guests only however, this is not enforced. People around me ( ten to twelve) were from anchored boats. I had trouble finding beach chairs because of this. Also, bathrooms are being used by the anchored boats for changing etc.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Judging by the screen name of the reviewer and the content of the review, we believe this to be a duplicate of the review titled "Service" posted 2 reviews prior to this one. Our response is also the same :

I would like to start by thanking you for taking time to review the property at The Margate Resort. We have been hosting events i.e. weddings here for 30 plus years, and 99% of the time it is a smooth recovery process afterwards. I apologize that you had to wait a bit longer for the cleaning of your room. In regards to the coffee maker being in need of repair/replacement, they are machines and sometimes do break down. All of our in-room coffee makers are Keurig brand K-Cup coffee makers, with green mountain K-Cup coffee. We do offer complimentary fresh coffee, as well as an abundant continental breakfast every morning in Blackstone’s dining room. Regarding our beach area, we have been working hard to develop a security protocol to ensure that the only guests on our beach are hotel overnight guests. If there are people who are patronizing our Gazebo Beach Bar, we consider them guests as well, however our beach is private only to hotel guests. We will be employing a new beach security protocol for the summer of 2014, and hopefully our guests will appreciate our efforts to keep our beach area and chaise lounges open and available only to our overnight hotel guests. Regarding room location, although we guarantee the room type reserved, by no means do we guarantee the exact location or number of an overnight guest room. As always, we do our very best to accommodate special requests like this, but it is not always possible to fill each and every request. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My family stayed here late August and we really enjoyed the location. I travel for business and am used to staying hotels, but just wanted to share a few things I'm not accustomed to... 1) the hair dryer barely attached to the wall. 2) the "gym" so filthy that I started doing push-ups and got grossed out. 3) a pair of girls underwear behind the dresser. We only have boys and left with the underwear we came in. Needless to say we'll plan to get a cabin next time!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank workingmom_ct
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns about your stay. These three points you have made are very important, and have not been glossed over by me or my staff. Our housekeeping department employs inspectors who double check the thoroughness of our housekeepers and public area house-persons. It is the inspectors job to notice any deficiencies that were not taken care of by the housekeeper in a guest room, or by the house-person in our lobby, restaurant areas, and other public areas like our pool and fitness center. If your hair dryer was loose, it should have been addressed by the inspector to notify maintenance, but apparently it was not, and for that I apologize. Our inspectors are also trained to look under beds, behind the dresser, and in other inconspicuous areas, and it appears they did not do this for your room. The same goes for the fitness center. We went through a brief period of inconsistencies with our inspectors right around the time of this guest review. We have already made some major adjustments to our housekeeping staff, and are pleased to report that the day-to-day consistency of our housekeeping staff has greatly improved. As with any hotel stay, minor cleaning issues or equipment malfunctions can occur anytime, but it is our goal to assist any guest promptly who may report a problem to our front desk 24 hours a day. Thank you again for your valuable review.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband and I and kids wanted to go to New Hampshire Columbus Day weekend searched high and low for a hotel and couldn't find one. I came across The Margate Resort and they had some rooms available we were all excited. The price not bad 140.00 with tax for one night. I read reviews on the resort some were not great others were ok but that didn't faze me at all, at least we had a place to stay on such a busy weekend. The stay was for October 12th and check out the 13th.On the Friday night something unexpected happened, I got a blood clot in my leg which left me un able to walk and in a lot of pain. The next morning I called and told the resort that we had to cancel due to the emergency which happened the night before. Hoping that since I booked the room Friday at 2:30pm that would have at least given me a credit on my stay. Nope... I couldn't believe that..
They told me that they couldn't give me a refund which to me I already knew that and that if my room got booked that they would refund me back...That's bull... on their policy it says nothing about not giving a credit, it does say not refunding deposit if cancel 7 days or less. They kept my money and didn't even give me a credit for another stay at a later date. Unbelievable.. I guess they don't want my business. They also told me they couldn't refund me the money because of the high volume around the Columbus Day weekend and that they could of given my room to someone else. Well I just called at 6:30pm to see if anyone booked the room and the girl told me they have quite a few rooms still vacant and that they couldn't refund me until all the rooms had been rented out. Whatever....Thought they had a high volume this weekend. I always travel and stay at lots of resorts we are even timeshare owners I have never came across people who didn't care about their customers. They already have my money, I just wanted to go back another weekend. That's ok I know better now. I just hope people read this and think twice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank C C

First I want to apologize for your unfortunate mishap, and I hope you are feeling better. We do have hotel policies in place and we adhere to them. Most hotel and airline cancellation policies are similar, and do not give refunds or credit for people who cancel within period of time prior to the check in date. Also, we cannot predict exactly how full the property will be on any given weekend. It sounds like our front desk manager went above and beyond, trying to make an exception for you, letting you know that we would refund your money if we were able to resell your room for you. It seems unfortunately that we were not able to resell the room with the limited time to do so before the arrival date. Thank you for your review, and I wish you well.

Kyle Parisi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Naswa Resort
#8 of 13 in Laconia
Half Moon Motel & Cottages
Half Moon Motel & Cottages
#2 of 5 in Weirs Beach

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!