“Wedding at Margate”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Dracut, Massachusetts
“Wedding at Margate”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our son recently got married at the Margate. The grounds and location are fantastic! The pavilion tent for the ceremony was perfect, as was the reception tent. The ceremony and reception were held outside for about 200 people. Many of the guests stayed at the Margate. Our wedding coordinator Caroline did a great job the day before and day of the wedding. Unfortunately, I felt she was overworked and did not have enough assistance on the day of the wedding. When you see her running around setting up tables, running back and forth from the room where we stored place cards, pictures, and other wedding items, you know something is wrong. She should have a team of staff members helping her with the set up. The servers and Caroline were awesome during the reception. Suzanne, one of the servers, was also mopping up the dance floor because of the rain. She was great as well. We used Curt’s Catering and they were fantastic, everyone raved about the food. The location is absolutely fabulous!!
Now the negative… MANAGEMENT!!! Or lack of Management – we were there for 4 days and never once did management meet with us to address our concerns or introduce themselves and ask us how things were going. We requested a satellite bar for beer and wine when we booked 10 months earlier. We found out the Monday before the wedding they wouldn’t do it unless we had 300 people. They assured us that 3 bartenders would be plenty – unfortunately only 2 bartenders were on that day. The line for drinks was embarrassing. Some of our guests waited 20-30 mins. That’s exactly what I didn’t want to happen. We voiced our complaints the day after the wedding and not once did management reach out to us to explain or apologize. Another issue we had … we blocked rooms nine months before the wedding and the ceremony was to start at 3:30 but check-in wasn’t until 4. Does that make sense? Some guests were made to pay an “extra fee” to be able to check in early so they could get ready in time for the wedding. Unacceptable! They need to accommodate more efficiently. There were four weddings that weekend and be aware they only have two bridal suites. Also, if you had a Saturday wedding during the summer, they require a two night minimum, which I can understand but not when you have two weddings on Friday.
The grounds and location are perfect for a wedding but the Margate management needs to make their venue more wedding friendly. I would recommend the venue but need to be aware of the above issues and hope that they become a little more flexible on some simple things.

3 Thank Bob R
margate76, Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
I would like to say what a pleasure it was to work with your son and daughter-in-law! It is couples like them that really make me enjoy what I do. I also appreciate your kind words regarding me and my level of service, knowing that I have made my clients happy really goes a long way! I would just like to take a few minutes to address the issues you had with your wedding.

First, I am sorry that you feel as though I am overworked. On the day of the event, our entire staff is certainly busy ensuring that every event goes off without a hitch. I was running back and forth a little bit trying to help get things set up for your reception. I feel it necessary to mention that decorating for each event is not our responsibility; I did it that day to help out the bride and groom. Because of this, I was busier than usual as it added to my normal responsibilities of the day. We had three event managers as well as a set up person on staff on the day of your event. They were all busy with the normal duties of the day, and while the perception to you may be that we are short staffed, that is really not the case as Margate ownership has always given us the tools and staff necessary to succeed.

I would also like to address the issue of lack of management and no one from management introducing themselves to you. I am a part of the management team and as a manager it is my responsibility to manage your event. I was there all day for you, and I was your point of contact and I am given the responsibility to make decisions in regards to your event. I checked with you periodically to see if there were any problems, and none were brought to my attention on the day of the wedding. Therefore I am confused as to why you feel there was a lack of management.

With being in the wedding business for 60 years, we have learned what works for an event and what does not. For events requiring a bar, we supply one bartender per 100 people. Your event had 175 people so we supplied two bartenders. I conferred with the bar manager over your request to add another bartender and the decision was made by him to keep with our practice of one bartender per 100 people. The reason for this decision was that your open bar was only funded up to $2000, and in our experience, for 175 people, $2000 would not have lasted for the full cocktail hour if three bartenders were on. It was my observation that during your event, the only time there was a line was during this cocktail hour, when everyone is trying to get free drinks all at once. But this is normal, there is always a line during open bars. Once the open bar closes everyone tends to drink less as they have to pay for their own drinks. Had we had three bartenders on, you would have reached the capped amount of your open bar in about 30 minutes, instead of us being able to stretch that open bar close to the full hour. That would mean that about halfway into your cocktail hour, we would already be closing down the bar and switching over to a cash bar. This is not something we typically like to do as it looks bad to your guests to be closing an open bar down during cocktail hour and telling your guests that the open bar is already over. While the line at the bar may seem as a problem to you, it actually alleviates a bigger problem of shutting an open bar down, reflecting poorly on your guests. Even with two bartenders, the $2000 open bar only lasted 45 to 50 minutes, but at least that is reasonable. It is also our professional opinion that the long line during the open bar portion, had little to no effect on your guest's satisfaction at the wedding.

Lastly, I would like to address the issue of our check in time. It is our policy that we guarantee check in at 4pm and checkout time is at 11am. This is stated in the contract and we suggest if you need an earlier check in time that you reserve your room the night before the event or you can check in after the event. We have 141 guest rooms on property along with 14 different room types and it takes time to clean those rooms to make them available to new guests coming in. We have started offering a VIP check in option that would guarantee an earlier check in and allowing you more time in your guest room. The ceremony time is stated clearly in the contract, as well as the check in time. This was not something that we spring on our guest when they try to check in. While we realize that it is not the most convenient thing for our guests, the best we can do is offer the third option of VIP check in. We do realize that other properties may have an earlier check in time; they also have earlier check out times as well. Moving to an earlier check in time may accommodate the 3:30 ceremony, however, it wouldn’t help the wedding that has a 2:00 ceremony, so in order to accommodate everyone, would have to have a 1:00 check in time, which is certainly not feasible.

Again, I would like to stress that it was a pleasure working with your family, I am happy that their wedding was an overall success, and I wish them the best of luck in the future.

Caroline Snyder
Wedding & Event Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Norfolk, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in July to go to a concert at Meadowbrook. Our room was in the Inn across the street and was very spacious and clean. The beds were very comfortable too. The free breakfast was excellent and the woman who worked breakfast was very nice. We had the hot breakfast one morning and that was good too. Its only $5.95 and theres a good assortment. We didn't use the outdoor pool because there is a beautiful beach on the lake where we spent the day enjoying the sights on the lake. We also enjoyed the bar service while we were on the beach and the drinks were brought to us! The Gazebo bar was fun too. We spent Friday night there enjoying the sunset and other guests. Had dinner there and it was good. It stays open til late as long as there are people there and there were both nights. Everyone we spoke with from the front desk, waitstaff, housekeeping were extremely friendly. The location was really close to Meadowbrook, I think it was about a 5 minute drive. I would highly recommend the Margate for any trip to the Lakes region.

Room Tip: Next time we go we'd like to try a lakefront room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting such a great review. We very much appreciate your compliments and are happy that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. Being that close to Meadowbrook (Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion) has a positive effect on us for sure. Hope to have you back again soon!
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Outside: stunning. This property is simply gorgeous. From the beach to the buildings to the landscaping, they don't miss a beat. 10/10.

Inside: 1978. In some ways this is very cool - the front lobby and the dining room have an old, dark wood look to them that really made my day. Until you notice how battered everything is. Still, the property has potential...but deferred maintenance has really taken a toll. And then you get to your room. Carpet - also from 1978 or thereabouts, and it's been cleaned, but there's only so much that cleaning can do and the very first thing I noticed on walking into my room were the stains all over the floor. I don't understand what is going on with the ceilings. There are signs of previous water damage, but no mildew, thank goodness. THE ROOMS ARE NOT SOUNDPROOF, not even close, and if there's an amorous couple next to you or a bunch of drunks or children, you're going to hear them even over the in-room air conditioner. The furnishings are the very cheapest and all the bathroom fixtures are Home Depot rental-grade. At best. The good news is you won't want to be spending much time in your room, but still...

Food: Avoid. The beach bar is barely edible even after a few drinks, and the hot breakfast? My college dorm had far better food. 0/10 and I mean it. I was not happy to be paying for it at all. We mostly ate in town. There's a burger joint named Sawyer's that has some of the best burger-joint food I've had. Save your money and go there instead.

General: the staff are largely young folks from Russia, and some locals. They're great and they may not always get everything right, but they try hard, are enthusiastic, and that counts. 8/10 for the staff. Boaters, be aware that docking space is at a premium. As in, you probably won't get any. Guests, be aware that a ton of people from all over the lake show up for the bar. The beach will be packed every single day (at least during the summer). It's probably not possible to close it off to the public, nor would it make any financial sense for the ownership (the beach bar does a LOT of business) but you will wish they could. PROTIP: on the other side of the wedding pavilion there's no beach furniture...but there's also no people save for some of the off-duty staff.

Summary: a property that should be great but isn't. Deferred maintenance and a failure to upgrade to 21st century standards is the real deal-killer here. I understand a serious renovation/upgrade would cost money they probably don't have, but they need to figure out a way to do it. Also, no room service? C'mon! You're not a resort without room service!

1 Thank arbiterusa
Thank you for complimenting our lakefront property. We are constantly upgrading our overnight room, amenities, and the property in general. Just for the record, all guest rooms have been renovated 2.5 times since 1978. The last full renovation was between 2000 and 2002. The ".5" is for what we have done recently by upgrading all rooms with stainless steel refrigerators, Keurig K-Cup coffee machines, flat screen TVs, RFID keycard systems, and brand new Sealy Posturepedic mattress sets with triple-sheeting duvet style bedding. Thats right, no rooms still have those 20th century style comforters. None of these items were noted in the review, but I'd say with all of these recent upgrades, The Margate guest rooms are well up to 21st century standards. And we are continuing to upgrade in this fashion. I have yet to see a soundproof hotel room, these are few and far between. I have never heard of this, but I can assure you the bathroom fixtures are not Home Depot rentals. As you mentioned, the beach bar is very busy with a lot of returning guests. This is the first review that states the food was inedible, and we have one of the best kitchen staffs right now compared to previous summers. With our Gazebo Beach Bar located directly on the lake, we welcome boaters who visit our beach bar. Our docks are open to anyone, first come first serve from 10am until 10pm. We don’t have beach furniture on that side of the Pavilion because we like to keep an eye on our guests who are swimming, and we want to maintain our furniture for our overnight guests primarily. We do not offer room service because in the past we simply have not had the demand for it, and we do not advertise as such. Deferred maintenance is not the case here, as we are always improving, but during the summer months, with many families with small children enjoying The Margate, wear and tear is inevitable. Again, we thank you for staying with us.
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Margate has been our family tradition for many years. The view of Paugus Bay is lovely and its really the only resort in the Laconia area. For young families its great. Indoor/Outdoor pool, beachfront, roped off swim area and shallow warmer water than the big lake. Accomodations are average but having a room on the water is very convenient if your little ones take naps! We have been seeing constant improvements the past three years which is a plus! If you are looking for a 5star resort go somewhere else but if you want a breath taking view, great swimming and boating and basic food and good music and drinks this is the spot. Continental Breakfast this year was much better too!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate your kind review, and yes we do take pleasure in our family orientated atmosphere. We are constantly doing upgrades to the hotel and it’s surroundings, and appreciate when our returning guests notice. Thank you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at the Margate twice last summer and once (so far) this summer so obviously we like it. Winnipesaukee, despite its large size has few waterfront hotels/motels and this is one of them. Staff all very friendly and helpful. Rooms, though not all new are kept quite clean as is the landscape and beach area. The outdoor on site waterfront restaurant bar is a big plus. You can stay in your swimsuit all day! Weather was great so we didn't need the indoor pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review The Margate Resort. We do pride ourselves on the lakefront location, and all of the extras it has to offer. We are doing updates on a constant basis, and will continue to do so. Thank you again, and look forward to seeing you again.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We went to Laconia Bike Week for the first time this year. We we're a group of four so we booked 2 rooms with direct access to the parking. The room was clean and the bed very confrtable. We had a nice cleaning lady and the air conditionning was working just fine. the have a little bar by the lake which we really enjoy for the food, the drink, the companie and the view. They also had boxes of cloth so we can take care of our bikes. Everything was clean and everybody was nice. Since you are not directly in the action, it is more quiet at night, We also enjoy having the grocery store just beside so we got all the goodies we wanted.

We had a really nice time and loved our trip!

Room Tip: If you are a smoker or a bikers, ask for a room with direct access to the parking lot, not in the ma...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for posting such a great review with us. Motorcycle Week is a very busy time in the Lakes Region and finding a nice quiet spot is easier said than done. I am glad you found this in the Margate Resort. Our housekeeping team does work hard to make your stay as comfortable as possible and it’s nice that you recognize this. Hope to see you next year, and again, thank you.
Bedford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have stayed at The Margate several times. The view of Paugus Bay from the Margates beach is lovely and relaxing. We enjoy being able to use the beach for relaxing or taking out the paddle boards and kayaks ( Margate rents those to guests). The location makes it easy to walk or take a short drive to restaurants, bank, stores, etc. Weirs Beach just a short drive. The property is kept very clean and great amenities. Price is right!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you. We appreciate your very kind review, also for your repeated stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed what we provided for you and were able to use our beach equipment. I am also happy that we have these things in such close proximity to make your stay a little bit better. We work hard at keeping up the property, and it is very nice to have it noticed. Thank you again, and we will see you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Wolfeboro Inn
#13 of 13 in Laconia
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#6 of 13 in Laconia

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!