The Margate Resort
The Naswa Resort(Laconia)(Great Value!)
US$152
Half Moon Motel & Cottages(Weirs Beach)(Great Value!)
US$104
Lazy E Motor Inn(Weirs Beach)(Great Value!)
US$122
Grand View Motel and Cottages(Weirs Beach)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$146
Lakeside Getaway(Weirs Beach)
US$110
  • Beachfront
Bay Top Motel(Laconia)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$104
US$206
Birch Knoll Motel(Laconia)(Great Value!)
US$108
Lakeview House & Cottages(Weirs Beach)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$93
Lake Winnipesaukee Motel(Weirs Beach)(Great Value!)
US$108
Agoda.com
All reviewsbeach baracross the streetindoor poolmain buildingharry potterhot breakfastfamily suitelakeside buildingrainy dayfree continental breakfasthot tuboff seasonbagelsfood and drinkslake viewlounge chairshousekeeping staff
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We too are attending a.wedding this weekend. I.must agree with the comments below regarding the wedding on the 29th.. DOESN'T make sense that you have a 3:30 wedding & check in is 4pm...MANAGEMENT definitely is Not accommodating for that... also... 2 night minimum ay $250/nite for a wedding is a bit much & was not made clear during the booking...
I will write another review after the wedding... hope we dont have a bartender issue!! But I am thinking we will as we did last nite for the rehearsal...1 bartender ... took 30 mins to get a drink with only 30 people !!!.
Otherwise...rooms are clean...grounds are nice....

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear DorrieS, thank you for taking the time to review The Margate Resort. As you may be aware, the check in time is discussed with the bride when she is booking our venue. She also agrees to it when she signs the contract. During peak season, we simple cannot guarantee early check-ins for everyone who requires it. As you noted, we have a very clean facility and guest rooms, because we do not sacrifice cleanliness for the sake of speed. Most hotels in seasonal areas have a 2 night minimum on Saturday night; it is customary. If you were not made aware of any of this when you booked your room that would have been unacceptable. Regarding the bartender issue you had for 30 people; when all 30 people enter a room at the same time and go up at the bar, there is bound to be an initial line. We get through it the best we can, with one bartender. My bar manager and I were both present at the time of the rehearsal dinner, and I can say that the wait for drinks was not 30 minutes. At the actual wedding, we had two bartenders for the 100+ people in attendance, and there were no lines. I am pleased that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay, thank you. We were hoping to see the follow-up review that you promised to write after the wedding (which went beautifully), however we have not yet seen a follow-up posted. Thank you again for posting your thoughts.

Kyle Parisi

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I thought that both the staff and the hotel accomodations were fantastic. The outdoor lounge area was nice but I felt like the bartender took a little while to wait on us because she had several friends at the bar. The beds were very comfortable and I slept like a baby.

My only complaint was that there were no lounge chairs to sit in. I ended up going to Walmart and purchasing some sand chairs. If people went to the beach and used the chairs that would be great but what your guests were doing for the 2 nights that we stayed there was putting their beach towels on the chairs and walking away. Several hours later to come back and sit in the chairs and use the beach area. I think if the hotel staff could walk around and ask if anyone was sitting there and removing the towels for other people to use (that this would help).

The continental breakfast was good but the toaster area tended to get pretty crowded maybe if the toaster was relocated to another area at the beginning of the line the people could get their juice and cereal and not have to wait to move thru the crowd of people waiting at the toaster.

Room Tip: I would not stay at the INN part of this hotel (even though there is an outside pool) the lounge, beach and restaurant are across a busy street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

I appreciate your helpful review. I have addressed the beach bar issue you mentioned with my staff. It is reviews such as yours that keep me informed. We do have beach attendants who try to maintain the chairs on the beach, along with many other things that are associated with this. Keeping these chairs in rotation for the use of our guests is a main priority. We have two toasters located at both ends of our continental breakfast buffet; the second one was put in there recently to improve this situation. As you mentioned, our Inn Building is located across the street from our main amenities building, making this easier for us to offer a more cost effective place for overnight guests, and for larger families that require family suites. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We just returned from a week at The Margate and have to say it was an absolutely wonderful vacation. We haven't vacationed on a lake in years and decided to give it a try this year. Well I have to say this week turned out to be everything that we could have wanted in a restful summer getaway. The resort is conveniently located to many attractions in the Lakes Region. The grounds of the resort are beautifully maintained and the staff was very pleasant. A free deluxe continental breakfast was available daily as well as a buffet hot buffet breakfast for a small fee. We were more than satisfied with the continental breakfast though. We had lunch daily at the Beach Bar. The food was very good and the service was excellent. The same menu is available for dinner too although we chose to venture out. We also rented Kayaks for a small fee. The Margate is a great resort for families with kids. The only complaint we would have would be the rooms. Our room was located near the beach and we had a courtyard view. The rooms are a bit dated and could use an update. The air conditioner was loud and had to be turned off at night. The beds were not comfortable and the walls were paper thin I am a light sleeper and woke up to water running and babies crying but aside from this the rooms are very clean. Overall all though I would recommend the Margate to anyone and look forward to my return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind and honest review. Our Gazebo Beach Bar is definitely one of our high points. Being able to sit and dine right on the water, whether you are taking in the sunset or watching the boats go by, it is second to none. We are a family resort with a fantastic view without a doubt. Keeping this in mind, the type of venue we offer can see its share of wear, especially during our extremely busy season. Our maintenance department works hard to keep up with the many repairs that are generated. The sound of the air conditioner may have been alleviated, if the front desk was notified. I am not sure if you had notified us or not, but sometimes we can change an A/C to a different unit if it is defective. As far as our walls go, they are standard built, and are usually pretty quiet in the Lake Building. But this being our busiest building on property, all of the rooms were presumably filled, and sometimes neighbors can be noisy. But, I am pleased you found your room to be clean and to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your great review, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The rooms were clean with a friendly staff. The bar on the beach was great to sit and relax by the water. The location is close to Meadowbrook. Large indoor pool and the outdoor pool was enjoyed by the kids. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed across the street at the inn. I'm sure it's quieter than the rooms by the water. Traffic is heavy but I couldn't hear noise from our room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Our waterfront location is what we pride ourselves on, and being able to offer this to our guests makes it that much better. Our close proximity to many of the area attractions, we believe is an added bonus. Thank you again.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our son recently got married at the Margate. The grounds and location are fantastic! The pavilion tent for the ceremony was perfect, as was the reception tent. The ceremony and reception were held outside for about 200 people. Many of the guests stayed at the Margate. Our wedding coordinator Caroline did a great job the day before and day of the wedding. Unfortunately, I felt she was overworked and did not have enough assistance on the day of the wedding. When you see her running around setting up tables, running back and forth from the room where we stored place cards, pictures, and other wedding items, you know something is wrong. She should have a team of staff members helping her with the set up. The servers and Caroline were awesome during the reception. Suzanne, one of the servers, was also mopping up the dance floor because of the rain. She was great as well. We used Curt’s Catering and they were fantastic, everyone raved about the food. The location is absolutely fabulous!!
Now the negative… MANAGEMENT!!! Or lack of Management – we were there for 4 days and never once did management meet with us to address our concerns or introduce themselves and ask us how things were going. We requested a satellite bar for beer and wine when we booked 10 months earlier. We found out the Monday before the wedding they wouldn’t do it unless we had 300 people. They assured us that 3 bartenders would be plenty – unfortunately only 2 bartenders were on that day. The line for drinks was embarrassing. Some of our guests waited 20-30 mins. That’s exactly what I didn’t want to happen. We voiced our complaints the day after the wedding and not once did management reach out to us to explain or apologize. Another issue we had … we blocked rooms nine months before the wedding and the ceremony was to start at 3:30 but check-in wasn’t until 4. Does that make sense? Some guests were made to pay an “extra fee” to be able to check in early so they could get ready in time for the wedding. Unacceptable! They need to accommodate more efficiently. There were four weddings that weekend and be aware they only have two bridal suites. Also, if you had a Saturday wedding during the summer, they require a two night minimum, which I can understand but not when you have two weddings on Friday.
The grounds and location are perfect for a wedding but the Margate management needs to make their venue more wedding friendly. I would recommend the venue but need to be aware of the above issues and hope that they become a little more flexible on some simple things.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bob R
margate76, Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

I would like to say what a pleasure it was to work with your son and daughter-in-law! It is couples like them that really make me enjoy what I do. I also appreciate your kind words regarding me and my level of service, knowing that I have made my clients happy really goes a long way! I would just like to take a few minutes to address the issues you had with your wedding.

First, I am sorry that you feel as though I am overworked. On the day of the event, our entire staff is certainly busy ensuring that every event goes off without a hitch. I was running back and forth a little bit trying to help get things set up for your reception. I feel it necessary to mention that decorating for each event is not our responsibility; I did it that day to help out the bride and groom. Because of this, I was busier than usual as it added to my normal responsibilities of the day. We had three event managers as well as a set up person on staff on the day of your event. They were all busy with the normal duties of the day, and while the perception to you may be that we are short staffed, that is really not the case as Margate ownership has always given us the tools and staff necessary to succeed.

I would also like to address the issue of lack of management and no one from management introducing themselves to you. I am a part of the management team and as a manager it is my responsibility to manage your event. I was there all day for you, and I was your point of contact and I am given the responsibility to make decisions in regards to your event. I checked with you periodically to see if there were any problems, and none were brought to my attention on the day of the wedding. Therefore I am confused as to why you feel there was a lack of management.

With being in the wedding business for 60 years, we have learned what works for an event and what does not. For events requiring a bar, we supply one bartender per 100 people. Your event had 175 people so we supplied two bartenders. I conferred with the bar manager over your request to add another bartender and the decision was made by him to keep with our practice of one bartender per 100 people. The reason for this decision was that your open bar was only funded up to $2000, and in our experience, for 175 people, $2000 would not have lasted for the full cocktail hour if three bartenders were on. It was my observation that during your event, the only time there was a line was during this cocktail hour, when everyone is trying to get free drinks all at once. But this is normal, there is always a line during open bars. Once the open bar closes everyone tends to drink less as they have to pay for their own drinks. Had we had three bartenders on, you would have reached the capped amount of your open bar in about 30 minutes, instead of us being able to stretch that open bar close to the full hour. That would mean that about halfway into your cocktail hour, we would already be closing down the bar and switching over to a cash bar. This is not something we typically like to do as it looks bad to your guests to be closing an open bar down during cocktail hour and telling your guests that the open bar is already over. While the line at the bar may seem as a problem to you, it actually alleviates a bigger problem of shutting an open bar down, reflecting poorly on your guests. Even with two bartenders, the $2000 open bar only lasted 45 to 50 minutes, but at least that is reasonable. It is also our professional opinion that the long line during the open bar portion, had little to no effect on your guest's satisfaction at the wedding.

Lastly, I would like to address the issue of our check in time. It is our policy that we guarantee check in at 4pm and checkout time is at 11am. This is stated in the contract and we suggest if you need an earlier check in time that you reserve your room the night before the event or you can check in after the event. We have 141 guest rooms on property along with 14 different room types and it takes time to clean those rooms to make them available to new guests coming in. We have started offering a VIP check in option that would guarantee an earlier check in and allowing you more time in your guest room. The ceremony time is stated clearly in the contract, as well as the check in time. This was not something that we spring on our guest when they try to check in. While we realize that it is not the most convenient thing for our guests, the best we can do is offer the third option of VIP check in. We do realize that other properties may have an earlier check in time; they also have earlier check out times as well. Moving to an earlier check in time may accommodate the 3:30 ceremony, however, it wouldn’t help the wedding that has a 2:00 ceremony, so in order to accommodate everyone, would have to have a 1:00 check in time, which is certainly not feasible.

Again, I would like to stress that it was a pleasure working with your family, I am happy that their wedding was an overall success, and I wish them the best of luck in the future.

Caroline Snyder