“Love Love Love”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
New Hampshire
“Love Love Love”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is our third trip. We had a wonderful time. We love the outside bar. The people watching alone is worth the wait. The staff is friendly and accommodating. I emailed the staff about a drink recipe and received a prompt courteous response. That is much appreciated. We are looking forward to our return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
We thank you for your loyalty to our resort, and your positive comments are greatly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thank You.

Kyle Parisi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed at the Margate in June for 4 nights for my son's wedding. I want to begin by saying I have written a letter to the manager of the hotel and he did respond but basically talked around all the issues that I had. The location cannot be beat, it's beautiful lakefront, the tent for the wedding ceremony is absolutely stunning. The rooms themselves are pretty standard, no complaints. My issues were more with the way the wedding went off and the salon on property is absolutely horrible. The Body works cafe caused a lot of stress and heartache and did not fix any of the problems that it caused. One of the hairdressers actually said "they are being too critical" while doing a bridesmaid's hair in front of everyone. Bad customer service especially when paying over 100 for hair, make up and nails. There were 7 events over the weekend of our wedding, 3 weddings including ours on the day my son got married. The manager contends my guests weren't aware of any of the issues that were happening. I say that is correct but only because of our planning and dealing with the crisis's that were happening because we didn't have any help from the coordinator at that time (she was running between weddings.) There were a lot of things that could have been prevented but I don't have enough characters to write about everything. If the manager implements some of the changes he stated they were doing it should save a lot of heartache. I would recommend the hotel as a great place to stay in the Lakes region - the location cannot be beat. I would not pay extra for lakefront rooms - there is really no advantage other than having a view, no balcony available and a lot of foot traffic outside can be bothersome. Drinks at the beach bar are expensive, waitstaff at the beach bar added things that did not belong to me onto my tab. It is a nice feature to be lounging in the sun and have a waiter take your order - just look at the bill closely. The continental breakfast was decent, waitstaff for breakfast were phenomenal, very personable and pleasant. The pool area is nice. We had a pool party the night before the wedding that was great! That's a really nice option. I've stayed at a lot of hotels and this one does not stand for any reason other than the location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tbear8688
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
It is true that we had been made aware of this guests opinions about her stay and about her son's wedding. We took her opinions seriously, had a manager's meeting to discuss her concerns to see how we could improve, and I responded to her in written form and addressed all of her concerns. I am surprised that she found my letter to be inadequate. Her primary concern was that a hairdresser at the Bodywork Cafe (a separately owned and operated hair salon and spa located within our resort) had remarked that they were being too "critical". At first, I sided with this guest when bringing these concerns to the attention of the owner of the salon, however, after reading this review and noting how my response letter was received, perhaps the word "critical" was the right word all along. I am posting my response letter below, for your viewing pleasure, and you can be the judge. We take all concerns, opinions, and complaints very seriously, and constantly work to improve our service. No matter what, we will continue to try and do the impossible.....please everyone.

--- Response Letter ---

Dear (removed for privacy):

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We value all comments and I have already reviewed yours with the Sales & Planning Team in order to assess what we can do in the future to make things run more smoothly and to prevent misunderstandings with our clients.

Yes, Laurie, your original assigned wedding planner, left The Margate, so there is no way to know exactly what was discussed, and it is certainly possible for some smaller details to have been lost in the translation when switching from one planner to another. But as General Manager, I am on property 24/7 (I live here too) and supervise over all events taking place and please let me assure you that it appeared to me that your event was handled in the same manner as other events, and our policies were followed consistently. But I do apologize if Laurie told you something that was incorrect during your initial meetings with her.

I understand that the primary concern and major complaint was the manner of service provided by The Bodywork Café. Nicole brought it to my attention on the day of your event and I hope that the owner of the salon, Gayle Washington, was able to resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

<<<---Originally the guest had complained to us about the professionalism of the Minister they hired, and other services....this was in response to that--->>>
In respect to the Minister, musicians, and other outside services that you procured, we have no control over their responsibilities during the event, nor do we monitor them or how they conduct their business. We do provide a list of “preferred vendors” who have worked at other events here, and who we can assure will provide good professional service to our clients.

You have a justified concern regarding the band not being provided with proper seating for their meal. I spoke with Nicole and she believes there must have been a miscommunication somewhere along the way, and we understand that this was a special circumstance where the band was supposed to eat with everyone else in the ballroom. I have already taken the necessary steps to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Our planners will provide all future clients with a formal room setup diagram to review in advance of any event. This diagram will have to be signed by the client. This new policy will certainly remedy the matter.

Regarding the bonfires (which is a bit of a sticky point with us), I stay on property late on the weekends, especially when we have three weddings going on. I was down on the beach almost all night to oversee the bonfires personally. My assistant, Ray, extinguished the fires. I understand that his methods might not have been as professional as everyone would like, but based on previous experiences with many past guests, there have been several occasions where people have physically tried to prevent him or myself from putting out the bonfire, or will attempt to start an uncomfortable negotiation on “what we can do” to keep the fire going longer. This is understandable when guests have been partying all night and are having a good time, however we have a huge responsibility to adhere to local laws and to keep all of our guests safe. As a result, there are occasions when we have to do or say something a bit out of the ordinary in order to quickly get our point across and keep situations for escalating out of control. We cherish the privilege to be able to offer these lakeside bonfires to our clients, but with that being said, it is often very difficult to extinguish them at the designated time.

On the topic of our wedding planners, based on the size of our property, we have three Event Coordinators. It is reasonable to expect that at least one planner is accessible throughout each event. What typically happens when one specific planner has multiple events on a given day, like Nicole did on your day, is that the other planners will rotate between all events to make sure someone is always available. It sounds like they lost the discipline of maintaining their rotation and we do apologize for this. We did meet and discuss this matter and I stressed that the planners make certain that this rotation and teamwork is always adhered to. Also for the future, we have decided to add wording to our wedding contracts to clarify that our planners are included with the costs of the wedding facility, and are available for advice and guidance to plan a great wedding experience, but are not necessarily 100% exclusive to any event on any given day. It is reasonable that some brides will want an exclusive wedding coordinator so we are in the process of creating a list of recommended private wedding coordinators that could be hired to guarantee exclusivity.

Mrs (name removed for privacy), I was on property throughout your entire wedding and from a professional standpoint it was more beautiful than the majority of the 50 or so weddings we host every year. The weather was perfect and everyone seemed to be having a wonderful time. Weddings are inherently complicated and stressful times, everything has to be perfect, and we do our absolute best to make it so. I did not observe anything out of the ordinary, or anything that your guests would have noticed, that could have soured such a memorable day for your friends and family. I would like to congratulate you on your son’s wedding and again thank you for your valuable feedback.

Kyle A. Parisi

--- End Response Letter ---

For anyone still reading...congratulations, and thank you for taking the time. I hope you enjoyed it. By the way, I don't have to write very many response letters of this nature, because they are rarely necessary. I wrote one in this case because it was for a big wedding, she presented a laundry list of concerns, and I wanted to make sure she knew we cared. Unfortunately I failed, and I'm not sure what else we could have done. Thanks again for reading.
Hopedale, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Returning is a sign that we enjoy The Margate. This is a very good value and a terrific location. The resort is somewhat dated, but with such a large venue it is understood. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

The fact that the management reads these reviews and comments on them is why we picked The Margate years ago.

Room Tip: Stay in one the Lakeside rooms. They are close to the beach and the Tiki Lounge.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the nice review. We do appreciate knowing the staff is doing a great job. I try to answer every review within a timely manner and thank you for noticing. Positive reviews like yours help to assure all of our hard working staff that we are doing a good job. The negative ones give us an opportunity to have new readers compare a previous guest's perception with our actual policies, procedures, and way of doing business. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We too are attending a.wedding this weekend. I.must agree with the comments below regarding the wedding on the 29th.. DOESN'T make sense that you have a 3:30 wedding & check in is 4pm...MANAGEMENT definitely is Not accommodating for that... also... 2 night minimum ay $250/nite for a wedding is a bit much & was not made clear during the booking...
I will write another review after the wedding... hope we dont have a bartender issue!! But I am thinking we will as we did last nite for the rehearsal...1 bartender ... took 30 mins to get a drink with only 30 people !!!.
Otherwise...rooms are clean...grounds are nice....

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear DorrieS, thank you for taking the time to review The Margate Resort. As you may be aware, the check in time is discussed with the bride when she is booking our venue. She also agrees to it when she signs the contract. During peak season, we simple cannot guarantee early check-ins for everyone who requires it. As you noted, we have a very clean facility and guest rooms, because we do not sacrifice cleanliness for the sake of speed. Most hotels in seasonal areas have a 2 night minimum on Saturday night; it is customary. If you were not made aware of any of this when you booked your room that would have been unacceptable. Regarding the bartender issue you had for 30 people; when all 30 people enter a room at the same time and go up at the bar, there is bound to be an initial line. We get through it the best we can, with one bartender. My bar manager and I were both present at the time of the rehearsal dinner, and I can say that the wait for drinks was not 30 minutes. At the actual wedding, we had two bartenders for the 100+ people in attendance, and there were no lines. I am pleased that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay, thank you. We were hoping to see the follow-up review that you promised to write after the wedding (which went beautifully), however we have not yet seen a follow-up posted. Thank you again for posting your thoughts.

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I thought that both the staff and the hotel accomodations were fantastic. The outdoor lounge area was nice but I felt like the bartender took a little while to wait on us because she had several friends at the bar. The beds were very comfortable and I slept like a baby.

My only complaint was that there were no lounge chairs to sit in. I ended up going to Walmart and purchasing some sand chairs. If people went to the beach and used the chairs that would be great but what your guests were doing for the 2 nights that we stayed there was putting their beach towels on the chairs and walking away. Several hours later to come back and sit in the chairs and use the beach area. I think if the hotel staff could walk around and ask if anyone was sitting there and removing the towels for other people to use (that this would help).

The continental breakfast was good but the toaster area tended to get pretty crowded maybe if the toaster was relocated to another area at the beginning of the line the people could get their juice and cereal and not have to wait to move thru the crowd of people waiting at the toaster.

Room Tip: I would not stay at the INN part of this hotel (even though there is an outside pool) the lounge, be...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I appreciate your helpful review. I have addressed the beach bar issue you mentioned with my staff. It is reviews such as yours that keep me informed. We do have beach attendants who try to maintain the chairs on the beach, along with many other things that are associated with this. Keeping these chairs in rotation for the use of our guests is a main priority. We have two toasters located at both ends of our continental breakfast buffet; the second one was put in there recently to improve this situation. As you mentioned, our Inn Building is located across the street from our main amenities building, making this easier for us to offer a more cost effective place for overnight guests, and for larger families that require family suites. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again.
Boston
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We just returned from a week at The Margate and have to say it was an absolutely wonderful vacation. We haven't vacationed on a lake in years and decided to give it a try this year. Well I have to say this week turned out to be everything that we could have wanted in a restful summer getaway. The resort is conveniently located to many attractions in the Lakes Region. The grounds of the resort are beautifully maintained and the staff was very pleasant. A free deluxe continental breakfast was available daily as well as a buffet hot buffet breakfast for a small fee. We were more than satisfied with the continental breakfast though. We had lunch daily at the Beach Bar. The food was very good and the service was excellent. The same menu is available for dinner too although we chose to venture out. We also rented Kayaks for a small fee. The Margate is a great resort for families with kids. The only complaint we would have would be the rooms. Our room was located near the beach and we had a courtyard view. The rooms are a bit dated and could use an update. The air conditioner was loud and had to be turned off at night. The beds were not comfortable and the walls were paper thin I am a light sleeper and woke up to water running and babies crying but aside from this the rooms are very clean. Overall all though I would recommend the Margate to anyone and look forward to my return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind and honest review. Our Gazebo Beach Bar is definitely one of our high points. Being able to sit and dine right on the water, whether you are taking in the sunset or watching the boats go by, it is second to none. We are a family resort with a fantastic view without a doubt. Keeping this in mind, the type of venue we offer can see its share of wear, especially during our extremely busy season. Our maintenance department works hard to keep up with the many repairs that are generated. The sound of the air conditioner may have been alleviated, if the front desk was notified. I am not sure if you had notified us or not, but sometimes we can change an A/C to a different unit if it is defective. As far as our walls go, they are standard built, and are usually pretty quiet in the Lake Building. But this being our busiest building on property, all of the rooms were presumably filled, and sometimes neighbors can be noisy. But, I am pleased you found your room to be clean and to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your great review, and we look forward to seeing you again.
Mechanic Falls, Maine
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The rooms were clean with a friendly staff. The bar on the beach was great to sit and relax by the water. The location is close to Meadowbrook. Large indoor pool and the outdoor pool was enjoyed by the kids. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed across the street at the inn. I'm sure it's quieter than the rooms by the water...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Our waterfront location is what we pride ourselves on, and being able to offer this to our guests makes it that much better. Our close proximity to many of the area attractions, we believe is an added bonus. Thank you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Naswa Resort
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#8 of 13 in Laconia

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!