“Great weekend”

Lake Opechee Inn and Spa
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Reviewed 14 February 2008

My husband and I booked a weekend getaway for our 15th anniversary. I found the spa treatments wonderful and relaxing. The staff was courteous and friendly.

Our room was beautiful, comfortable and well cared for. The food at the restaurant was pricey but excellent.

I would highly recommend visiting this inn to celebrate a special occasion.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 January 2008

I stayed here while on business and have to say this is one of the nicest places I have stayed at. I travel extensively throughout the US for my company and would have to say that this place is doing it right from the room to the friendly service.

The room was spacious, clean and nicely appointed. It had all the extras from a refrigerator to internet access. However, wireless was only available in the lobby which was the only draw back I could find. They offer a nice continental breakfast in the morning with a good selection to choose from. I had dinner at the restaurant both nights and absolutely loved it.

The chains could learn a thing or two from this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JRD-TEXAS
Reviewed 28 September 2007

We booked one night on are way up to the White Mountains for a hiking trip. It was so nice and comfortable that we decided to spend the last night at the Lake Opechee instead of a large hotel in Boston. The size of the rooms(the beds!), the location and beautie of the Inn were outstanding. We loved the treatments in the spa especially the pedicures. Althrough it was hard to get all of the treatments together(book early with a group). I wish that the locker room had more supplies, I was to be charged $2.00 for a disposal razor! The outside patio is nice to sit out and have a drink in the evening. We did not eat at the Inn, Althrough we heard very good things about the food. Had drinks the first night. Upon return we sat at bar to get a drink, after close to ten minutes no one acknowledged us so we left. The Inn is close to Boston and an easy drive from Logan. The three of us all agree that we will be back. One last thing, they allow dogs!

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank anntz
Reviewed 6 September 2007

We recently had to travel through NH on our way to Maine and made reservations through Expedia for the Lake Opechee Inn. We were very happy, upon arriving, to find that we had booked a nice place as you can never truly know what your are going to find until you get there. As we were just stopping for the night we booked a basic room, that is not really basic. It had a comfortable siting area by a fireplace and a window seat that you could stretch out on to read a book. Anyway, we just loved everything. The beds were extremely comfortable and we are thinking about purchasing a feather bed now. (You can order them through the inn) We wish we could have stayed longer and will definitely return. The restaurant was excellent. The only down fall is the attached mill building, it is really hideous and detracts from the whole feel that it seems they are going for.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AndoverMa
Reviewed 28 August 2007

My husband I stayed here w/ our 8 and 5 y/o girls. I wanted upscale, which I know is hard to find in this area, while the kids wanted a pool and my husband wanted to be on the lake. We it is definitely a nice place. The rooms are gorgeous! Comfortable beds, jacuzzi tub the kids loved, etc.
The "lake view" left a bit to be desired. It is across the street/parking lot, and more industrial looking that any other lake view I have ever seen. Maybe it is the run down mill that is connected to the left side of the Inn????
We brought the girls to the pool and my 5 y/o asked where the other half was. I thought it was a large hot tub but it turned out to be a plunge pool. Bummer. They enjoyed it anyways but I was bummed for them.
The walk from the lots is kind of a hike but oh well.
The most annoying part of the Inn was the air conditioning. Once you open the door to the balcony, even just to step out, the air conditioning shuts off and does not turn back on until the door is shut again. I understand the attempt to conserve energy etc and while this was annoying, even more annoying is that there are also motion detectors in the corners of the rooms. When they do not detect motion for several minutes, the air conditioner shuts off. We went down to the restaurant for dinner and returned to a HOT room because there was not movement.Still/calm sleepers would be in trouble! I think you should be able to enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony, with the door SHUT and be able to come back in to a cool room but unless you leave someone in the room jumping around, forget about it. If I am paying 250+ per night to stay, the least I could get is a cool room to return to after spending a fortune at the onsite restaurant. (which was REALLY nice and well worth the money by the way. Try the fried oreos for dessert!!)
The friendliness of the staff left a little to be desired as well.
That is really it. Overall, everything else was nice, though not as "on the lake" as we had hoped. Next time we will probablly "rough it' and stay closer to Weirs beach. Possibly the colorful Naswa cottages? SO cute!!!

Stayed: August 2007
5  Thank capecodfour
Reviewed 23 August 2007

Room: Spacious, refrigerator, small deck, gas fireplace, TV above the fireplace. When we weren't sleeping, we were in front of the fireplace watching TV relaxing.

Bathroom: Spacious, clean, excellent water pressure, plenty of hot water

Parking: Probably the only issue. Be prepared to walk. It didn't bother us, but could present problems for some.

Value: When we go on vacation, we like to spend so that we can come back refreshed and relaxed. This may be one of the best values we have experienced.

Location: Our intention was to hit hiking trails in the state parks. The centralized location, coupled with the convenience of the outlet mall worked out well for us. We did have a problem finding a variety of restaurants, but we had good experiences in what we did find.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank NittanyHusky
Reviewed 12 August 2007

We just returned from a two night stay at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa.. We will never return. It probably seems a contraditiction, but the rooms are beautiful; exceptionally clean and well cared for with many amenities. We would have appreciated a full length mirror for the last look before you go out.

.Despitel the accolades for the physical plant the service was totally unacceptable for accomadations which are at the high end of the scale for the area ($250+ per night).

The inn keeper was totally unresponsive to simple needs based a health condition. I am an insulin dependent diabetic. When I saw there was almost nothing short of instant oatmeal I could eat from the breakfast buffet , I asked to microwave the oatmeal. Although there was a microwave in the back area I was told that guests couldn't use it for health reasons. No offer was made by the inn keeper to at least have one of the kitchen staff do it. I was told to use the water for tea. When I later asked if perhaps a hard boiled egg or a piece of cheese maight be available I was told to put the "complaint" on the guest comment card and leave it at the desk. This again was the directive from the inn keeper. I guess my frustration comes from the fact that we were not staying in a motel room but in a very upscale inn.

Later we asked for directions to a nearby town where there was an Arts and Crafts Fair. We were given a sheet with directions from the town to the Inn and were told to revers directions. End of "helpful" information.

The restaurant at the Inn which serves lunch and dinner and not run by the inn keeper,was excellent; the service outstanding. We will return there.

If you value service and folks just taking a little time to meet simple requests this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank diverse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Naswa Resort
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#4 of 13 in Laconia
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to Lake Opechee Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!