“Not what we expected from a spa hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lake Opechee Inn and Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Lake Opechee Inn and Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Laconia
Koege, Denmark
“Not what we expected from a spa hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We tried to check in early and was told to come back at 3pm. OK fair enough but nobody offered to store bags. The hotel looked almost empty on arrival.
Lisa is phenomenal and was really helpful in making recommendations for hiking. Laconia is about an hours drive from the white mountains so we were disappointed that most of the hiking was a long drive away.
The hotel looks a bit tired, the rooms are big and have the most fantastic view if you get one overlooking the lake. The beds are an acquired taste, they are so soft, you disappear into them!
There is nothing to do around the hotel and it is by no means a resort. Also my biggest gripe was no gym, I have never come across a spa hotel without training facilities, this is the main reason I would not return. The pool is tiny too. Didn't try the spa as I got sick on the first evening.
My tip would be spend another hour in the car and get to a proper spa in the White Mountains.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the lake for great views
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VictoriaWH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

If you find this helpful please say so by clicking yes where it asks

Rooms - rooms are big and very well appointed. Beds comfortable. Nice air tub whirlpool for two. Great balconies overlooking the lake.

Location - located in the heart of Laconia yet a street away from the noise. Its near everything but feels so far away.

Service - the staff wouldnt allow me to cancel 48 hrs in advance without charging because they have an unusual 72 hr policy. I didnt find that accomidating. Otherwise they were all friendly.

Breakfast - very basic continental breakfast. For those on a diet - byof. Its all carbs.

Cost - i think it was pricey for what I got but i was there on business. If I were there for the r&r I think it would be well worth it.

Parking - plenty of parking on premisis.

Biggest gripes:

The restaurant attached is just horrible. I wrote a review on them if you should care to know specifics. I personally would NOT eat there and feel bad for the hotel they share space as its a reflection on them. I would never actually stay at this hotel again for that reason only.

The second reason is they dont have a gym. It is hard to imagine a hotel - especially an expensive one not having a gym. Its a must for 30% of their clientele so I would think they lose tremendous business as a result. They do have trails outside for running.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank snmurphy07
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Our stay here was saved by the Receptionist Lisa who was amazing - other than that this was a real mixed bag of good and not so good. The hotel is in a good location for getting to all of the lakes but you need a car, there isn't really a 'holiday' community on the door step that you could stroll around. There is an industrial unit right next to the hotel that doesn't show in any photos and it was noisy on occasion. The hotel was very clean throughout. The resident dogs Diamond and Kegan a delight. The rooms are all themed which is great if you get a theme that you like but we are not really fans, rather have good simple decor that doesn't make you open the door to the room and say 'oh my'. The beds were a mass of mattress, feather topper and pillows that had me feeling like I had been baked in a sponge cake and couldn't move - I got used to it but it was a bit much. If it were the middle of summer I would think it overwhelming but maybe this was the fall bedding. Breakfast was terrible and like being in a youth hostel where you even have to put your dirty dishes away in the trolley . Everything was individually wrapped in cling film which is ok for hygiene but just really annoying and not at all appetising. On our first morning three members of staff walked by us regularly while we got our breakfast and not one even spoke to see if we were ok let alone wish us a Good morning. The receptionist that morning spent her time having heated personal conversations on the hotel phone and took no notice of guests - really poor customer service. Be aware that the cling film thing goes on in the room too and cups and glasses are covered in it which. When you are tired at night or sleepy in the morning makes for amusing glass filling ! Back to the lovely Lisa - this is the only reason for the rating here. She went well over and beyond her role to take care of us - a real treasure. She organised a microwave in our room because I like tea in the morning that I don't have to get dressed to go and get. She sorted out endless restaurant and attraction guides for us and her eating recommendations were spot on. Thank you Lisa for taking such great care of us.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank julienicola
Argyle, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We had a great time at the location. The staff were excellent and loved the balcony the view and the jacuzzi tub. The room decor was nice and the furniture was comfortable. As a present to ourselves we did the couple's massage our therapists Sara and Meghan were great and added to the great experience. The breakfast was nice and coffee was good. I left a phone charger in room to see if a bad review I had seen was true, I received a phone call the next day and they sent it to me by mail. So overall great experience.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk will tell you the rooms with best views we had the Robin Room great view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kim W
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I went away for a long weekend and racing experience in August. We were pleasantly surprised by the accommodations at the Lake Opechee Inn. They have captured the elegance, simplicity and coziness of a smaller inn. From the minute we walked into the comfortable, New England designed lobby, to the moment we walked into our king bed, cathedral ceiling, fire placed room with balcony, we felt at home. We were there for 3 nights, 4 days and wish we could have stayed longer! The spa was awesome...my husband and I both experienced the services and were very pleased. We were doing a Mario Andretti racing experience in Laudin at the raceway and found the location of the Inn to be conducive to all of our travels! Close to the beaches, racetrack and small towns such as Meredith. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked for our anniversary in February, 2014 before we left!

Room Tip: We chose a room with a balcony overlooking the lake. All of the rooms are decorated differently and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gigs2007
Leominster, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed for 2 nights mid August. The room décor was pleasant, and we enjoyed having a small balcony. However it actually overlooks the parking lot and then the lake. There is a factory attached to this inn, and if you are staying during the week be prepared to wake up to industry noise. We heard a loud table saw whirring.The breakfast was average, the Jacuzzi tub and bathroom terrific, and our children enjoyed having the small indoor pool all to themselves both nights. We did not sleep well as everything is feather based and the bedding and mattresses were too soft and lumpy to our liking. My biggest complaint was after we checked out my husband had accidently left his new cell phone charger behind plugged in next to the coffee pot. We called later that day, but it was gone! Probably taken by housekeeping or the next guests.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Amy L
Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

The biggest disappointment here is that every lake view room cannot avoid seeing the low rise factory/industrial building across the way. I was not prepared for this inn to be in such a "gritty" location, but Laconia is not your typical tourist lake town. It's actually a real town where people live and work all year that happens to be on a small lake right next to Lake Winnepasaukee. If you go into this with your eyes wide open and don't care about the less than ideal aspects of what is here, then the hotel rooms themselves are comfortable and clean and they do provide you with a basic continental breakfast as well as free coffee and tea all day. The televisions in the room are old style rather than flat screen. There is a billiard room and a comfortable lounge with a flat screen tv on the main floor.There is also a small swimming pool and a spa if those things are important to you. By far the best thing about this inn is the attached O's Restaurant which consistently serves superb food. We will not return to the inn but will probably be back to the restaurant next time we visit the area.

Room Tip: Do not pay additional for the lake view rooms since they all look out on the low rise factory/indust...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laminmd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
Church Landing at Mill Falls
#2 of 3 in Meredith
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#3 of 12 in Laconia

Been to Lake Opechee Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!