“Nice Romantic Anniversary Getaway”

Lake Opechee Inn and Spa
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed on a Saturday evening end of May, 2014. The property was a lovely blend of new construction and antique pieces that really worked well! We stayed in the "Old Man" Room which had a view of the lake, though partically obstructed by the building, nothing was really lost. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony sipping wine while watching the schools of bait fish be driven around the cove. Sadly I had a new rod in the car from a trip to Bass pro shop on the way up but no tackle to fish with! Both my boyfriend and I agreed we will be back in the fall and will definitely have the fishing gear with us. The room was spacious, not claustrophobic like many Inn's are. Plenty of room to relax in front of the fire place. Heat and air conditioning kept the room at the perfect temperature. Guessing from the number of cars, the inn was about half full. we never heard anyone in adjoining rooms or walking the hallways. The two person whirl pool was heaven -- plenty big for us both (he's 6'2" I'm 5'8") Plenty of hot water, not an issue. Bead was incredibly comfortable (king feather pillowtop) just lofty enough, but not so soft to hurt your back. The room was CLEAN! smelled great too. Shower didn't have great pressure, but I'm sure that's a conservation effort. Bedding and towels were wonderful.

Check in was swift, I used a debit card, and was clearly told that I had to sign that I understood they would put a 150.00 hold on the card for additional room charges that might not clear for 10 days. I was fine with that, glad it was explained clearly. We were able to check in early which gave us another 2 hours to sightsee before dinner.

We had initially planned on eating at Tavern 27, but after a drive by of the place, we wanted something more upscale and changed plans. The "O" steak and seafood restaurant onsite was a great choice. Our waitress Linda was attentive, friendly and gave us some great advice on the menu. It wasn't a quiet romantic ambiance, it was a non annoying loud, but we could hear each other talk, so the evening was wonderful. He had steak, I had swordfish, and the spicy chicken/cashew rolls in bib lettuce was absolutely divine. I'd love to drive back just for that appetizer! Crème Brule for dessert was perfect also. Nice varied wine list price wise and the mixed drinks were good!

Definitely will be back! Thanks again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Colleen J

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed mid week. We were in the Robin room on the second floor. We had a view of the lake, which was nice. It does look out over the parking lot, but we sat inside and enjoyed the view (it was chilly) and could only see the lake. The back side of the property was not as nice. The view of the "trees" is really a row of trees, one tree deep, then your view is of the backs of homes and businesses. The walking trail out there is nice and level though, so good for a walk or run after dinner. The front desk staff was great, efficient and friendly. We didn't eat breakfast at the Inn, but they had breads, fruits, yogurts, cereals, and a large selection. We did use the 24 hour coffee and tea bar, quite a bit. I was not a fan of the feather bed, but my husband liked it. The down pillows were terrible too. The tub was huge and there was plenty of hot water. A bathrobe would have been nice, but are not available for guests to use. I don't pack one as they take up a lot of room. The fireplace was nice also. If we head to Laconia again, we would consider staying here.

Room Tip: The "Robin room" seemed to have a better view of the lake than most rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TraciNewHampshire
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I chose to hold our wedding reception at the conference center at Lake Opechee Inn and Spa knowing the majority of guests would opt to stay on location. We sought out a family owned location (on the water) that would allow us to cater to our guests and be flexible enough to work with a few of our more "interesting" requests. The staff was exceptional and I received a positive response to any and all requests. All the rooms were immaculately clean and had comforting personal touches. We decided to stay and extra night to enjoy the atmosphere, post celebration, and took advantage of the amazing restaurant on location as well as the pool/ whirlpool area. Every morning we were greeted with a beautiful continental breakfast and an open sitting area to enjoy our family and friends. The Inn and staff made our stay beyond perfect and we can not wait to return for many many anniversaries to come!

Room Tip: There are two options for views, lake view or tree view. I tend to be a water person and the balcony...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JessP0503
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I were looking for a quiet, relaxing night away and based on a recommendation from a friend we booked a night at the Lake Opechee Inn. We were able to make a reservation last minute which was great and even managed to get the last two available massage appointments! We arrived on Friday and checked in and the lady at the desk was very friendly and helpful. There are some negative reviews on here about the customer service but we had absolutely no complaints. We stayed in the Montana Room which had 2 Queen beds, fireplace, jacuzzi tub for 2 and a private balcony with view of the lake. We absolutely loved our room and the beds were THE MOST COMFORTABLE beds we have ever slept in. The beds are so comfortable that they even sell the sheets and all the bedding through the hotel! The room itself was very spacious and the set up was nice. It was really great to be able to sit in the comfy chairs in front of our fireplace and have a few glasses of wine.

We both got massages at the spa and had completely different experiences. My massage was lacking and I felt as though the massage therapist really didn't know what she was doing. I have had a lot of massages and this was definitely the worst. It wasn't terrible, it still felt nice but it really wasn't worth the money. I asked her to focus on my neck and shoulder area and she basically avoided it...Strange. My husband on the other hand had a great massage and was very happy. Guess it depends on the massage therapist you get.

We had dinner at the O Steakhouse and the food was absolutely delicious! I had the lobster mac and cheese with steak tips which was HUGE and surprisingly affordable. Highly recommend it. My husband had the prime rib with blue cheese and that was also very good. In addition to the good food they have an extensive cocktail list which is a plus. The restaurant was loud and extremely busy but our waitress was attentive and it was a nice dining experience. Also, very convenient to be able to just walk back to our room without having to go outside.

Overall, we loved our stay at the Lake Opechee Inn and would recommend it if you are looking for a relaxing getaway : )

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mvwalker
Reviewed 11 March 2014

For my 50th birthday I decided to return to NH with my partner to visit with family and friends to simply celebrate the occasion. I chose to stay at the Inn as a bit of a birthday treat. And so it was. The room was spacious but cozy, the views out over the snow covered frozen lake were gorgeous, the whirlpool bath and the fireplace were both just perfect after being out and about on snowy days and the staff were most welcoming, friendly and helpful. All day coffee and a large variety of light breakfast choices started us out and kept us going each day just right! We also ordered room service from the on-site restaurant a couple of nights and the food was fantastic. Try the tuna.......After a 4 hour drive in a snowstorm from Boston which normally takes 90 minutes and our flight from London we walked through the front doors to warm temps and a warm smile. From that point on our stay was like being at home at home but away from home. Our stay at the Inn made this birthday a truly memorable one.

Room Tip: Pick an even numbered room to get a view out over the Lake.
1  Thank SunnyRae1964
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Lake Opechee Inn and were thoroughly disappointed by the entire experience. While the room we stayed in was quite lovely, fireplace and two person jacuzzi tub our issue was with the overwhelming unwelcome feeling we felt throughout our entire stay.

From the moment you enter the grounds of the hotel there are signs about what not to do. Entering the parking lots signs about no skateboarding (I believe) not loitering etc. When you walk into the lobby there is a large sign asking you not to wear your ski boots inside - and adds, it ruins our floors. Huge no-smoking signs, signs in the library about 'no food, no drinks - if you want to play board games as the front desk for dice' in room with the pool table, again signs of what not to do. The hotel does have an indoor pool and hot tub, but they keep it covered and you have to go ask the front desk if you want to use it.....ummmm again very unwelcoming. Even a sign on the ice machine that ice is only to be put into ice bins from your room - damn I was going to fill my shoes with the ice!

Upon check-in I was using my debit card, and the woman behind the front desk basically yelled at me for using my debit card and not a credit card. She explained that the hotel will place a hold of $150 on the card - and that it's "real money" if I use a debit card as opposed to a credit card.... Ummm ok. So I told her I could use a credit card if it were easier for them, but the $150 hold was not a problem. She literally said 'fine it's your money' and then I had to sign about 8 forms regarding the fact I was using a debit card. After check-in I did go downstairs to inquire about our room, as we paid for a lake view room and well... it was more of a parking lot view than anything. The response I received was 'there are no other rooms available.' Gee thanks....

If you want to go to the Lakes Region for a relaxing getaway, my suggestion is to spend a few extra dollars and stay at Church Landing in Meredith, a little more expensive but a million times better!

9  Thank CD8279
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just got back from a wonderful weekend getaway in celebration of our anniversary. The property was so nice and we LOVED our room! The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in at a hotel, not to mention our room had a fireplace, balcony, and jacuzzi tub for two. It felt very cozy and private.

That being said, we had a few issues with the inn and our stay. First of all, the customer service was wishy washy. They messed up our initial reservation with a king and wound up switching us to a room with two queens, but didn't comp us anything (it would've been nice to get a voucher for the restaurant or a bottle of wine or SOMETHING). Luckily we wound up loving our room anyway, and housekeeping was very friendly.

Secondly, for the price we paid to stay here, we were expecting a real hot breakfast with protein but we woke up the next morning to an extremely disappointing carb fest. I've had more complete breakfasts at a Holiday Inn, not to mention everywhere else in this price range serves a full breakfast, and considering there's a restaurant attached to the inn it wouldn't be that hard to offer some eggs, meat, and potatoes. Even something as simple as sliced cheese and hardboiled eggs would be a nice addition to what they currently serve. We stayed two nights and didn't even bother to get up for breakfast the second day because it quite frankly wasn't worth it. This is probably the main reason why we likely won't be returning. If they change their breakfast we'll be happy to make a future reservation since the room was so nice.

While I'm normally not a bathrobe kinda gal, I was looking forward to soaking in the jacuzzi and then sitting by the fire in a bathrobe instead of a soaking wet towel, but the inn doesn't have those in the room which felt a bit odd considering there's a spa downstairs.

We attempted to eat at the attached restaurant but the place was a complete mess. The kitchen was super backed up and in the half hour we waited for a table we saw multiple parties approach the manager asking where their food was. Maybe this was just an off night for them, but it was very off-putting and we ultimately decided to eat elsewhere.

We loved the 24/7 tea and coffee station and enjoyed petting the dogs.

Hopefully the Inn will make a few small tweaks to the way things are being run because it has a ton of potential!

2  Thank onethousandyen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
Church Landing at Mill Falls
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#4 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Lake Opechee Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!