“Best Port in a Storm”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2012

A couple of nights ago we were in West Lebanon feeling battered by some personal challenges and the weather as well. It was raining and there were predictions of high winds and possible tornados. The warm glow of the lights at Weathervane drew us in and we had a fantastic meal, once again, as we have countless times in the past. We have been visiting Weathervane Seafood restaurants for over 30 years in our travels through Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Oddly enough we never have gone to the original one in Kittery, ME. The West Leb location is our favorite. Easy access, a great bar where we prefer to eat and lots of room. This evening one of us was not feeling well enough for a meal, so we ordered a side of baked potato and some hot tea which filled the bill nicely. I ordered a new (to me) dish called the sauteed fiesta which included shrimp, mussels, calimari, and scallops in a moderately hot sauce over pasta. The seafood was plentiful, succulent and spicy. This was accompanied by a draft of Blue Moon which went down well with that meal. This is the place we bring friends visiting from elsewhere for a lobster dinner. It is also the place I have repeatedly ordered mussels over the years and never gone away disapointed. Another family member always gets the fried haddock dinner and we always marvel at the size and tenderness of the fillets. If you are looking for all the hallmarks of fine dining this is not the place. This is one location of a chain that strives to give you that coast of Maine seafood shack experience at a great price and with friendly personable service.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I've had fresher, tastier seafood on the streets in Mexico. Weathervane is institutional grease pit heaven.

1  Thank pakalolo
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Pretty good seafood for a mini chain. Prices reasonable and quantities are large. Fish and Chjips are a great bargain.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I like their seafood here, it is a good sized portion for the price. I usually get their clam chowder and clam strips dinner (sometimes their fish and chips). I love the fact that their chowder is nice and thin just like it is in Maine. Their clam strips are nice and tender too. I have always been impressed by their service and will frequent this restaurant when I am in the area.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

You can get fried or broiled seafood. It is never overcooked.