“This could be a really good restaurant, if only they'd . . .”
Review of KOTO Japanese

KOTO Japanese
Ranked #18 of 67 Restaurants in Lebanon
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Food is consistently good or very good. However, service is still a problem. Wait staff simply don't seem to know the menu and what comes with what. On a recent visit, after disagreeing with my waitress about just what "sides" my meal included, I actually retrieved a menu and showed it to her. Her apology was nice, but when I go out to dine, I want it to be a pleasant experience, not a hassle. Entrees are well prepared and often delicious. But, why are the soup and side portions so small. Can't you give more than 4-5 ounces of miso soup? And, what's with the skimpy portion of rice?? It's a somewhat more expensive restaurant than most in the Upper Valley, and they need to more generous with the soups and sides. Overall, we go back often because the food is quite good (and when I order, holding the menu in my hand, I review with the waiter just what my meal includes).

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Went to this restaurant for the sushi based on GPS search for sushi in the area. The GPS does not say if they have sushi, just calls it a Japanese Restaurant. I called to ask if they served sushi and was assured they do. We were a little skeptical based on the outer appearance. The building, landscaping, and signage all looked unkempt. There were hardly any vehicles in the parking lot, and it was 5:15 pm. However, we went in and sat at the sushi bar. The restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived. We ordered from the sushi menu and we were very happy with the sushi. It was a great presentation, and the sushi rolls we ordered were delicious. There were 2 sushi chefs, and Tony was very friendly and accommodating and even gave us a house appetizer to try - it was delicious. We asked for a special roll with ingredients that we liked, and he made it as requested. He was very friendly and polite. There were more patrons arriving while we were there and the parking lot was filling up. We like to try different sushi restaurants and this one definitely ranks up there in the top 5 we've been to. Will return again when in the area.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

and by service I mean poor business practices.... but first lets talk about the food. Appetizers of tempura veggies, pickles and shashimi and sushi were good. Sushi for entree good. beef for enteee, acceptable, salmon shirmp and scallops on a stick, not good. Fish was way overdone. Then bill comes... and the say gift card cannot be used because declined. We just opened it from the gift envelope right there. We even had the receipt but that didn't matter. Declined is declined. maybe a possible gift card scam? REgardless, we went away unhappy and paying the full bill other than the $11 they comped because they were running a coupon.....the server was great!!!!

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Six of us went there for dinner recently. I've been to similar restaurants where a cook juggles knives and other utinsels, and the food is usually adequate. The food at Koto in West Lebanon was better than I expected.
This restaurant gives you the option of "hibachi," which is seating around the grill with your own cook, or booth seating with normal menu ordering. We sat around the hibachi.
From there, the show was just what you'd expect with the onion ring volcano, the white rice fried with eggs, and the cook tossing balls of rice into the mouths of willing participants.
The food, as I said, was better than expected, especially the grilled shrimp. Even the rice tasted better than I expected.
There are other, less expensive, restaurant choices on that stretch of Route 12A, but this one should not be missed.
My only complaint is the acoustics. With our party stretched out along the hibachi, it was hard to hear each other due to the noise from other groups.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The word for this restaurant is average.

The service was good. Kid friendly.

The hibachi show was very standard – same jokes and volcano/train onion tower as in every hibachi show I have ever seen. The food and drinks were good. Prices were reasonable. Sushi was OK.