“Sleazy”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lebanon
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We were at a day-long event in Hanover, New Hampshire, and had planned to stay at the Fireside Inn overnight. When our plans for the night changed, I called the inn at 3:45 p.m. to cancel that night's reservation--well before the 4:00 same-day cancellation deadline. When I told the person who answered the phone that I wanted to cancel my reservation, he asked me to hold or to call back in a few minutes since they were very busy and he was checking people in, which would take several minutes. He then asked my name and said I didn’t need to call back, assuring me he’d take care of it.

Of course, I did call back because I needed confirmation that my reservation was cancelled. Again, the man who answered just put me on hold and then never picked up again. Over the next 40 minutes, I called nine more times, and not once did anyone answer the phone. Were they so busy no one could even pick up? Weirdly, the calls never went to voicemail; they just simply disconnected.

Since we were just a few minutes away, we drove directly to the hotel (while I kept calling, with no luck), walking in at 4:00 to see a deserted lobby and unattended front desk. Not so busy after all. The man who answered my first call came out from the back office and feigned surprise when I told him that no one was answering the phone. He asked me to dial again and guess what? The front desk phone didn’t make a sound. He fiddled with something on the phone (a silencer, perhaps?) and lo and behold, when I dialed again, the phone rang. There was then a pretty weak show of surprise and a half-hearted little charade where he pretended to realize that, “you know what, the phone HASN’T rung in quite a while! Wow, how in the world could that have happened?”

Another “surprise”: Despite telling me during that first phone call that he would cancel my reservation, he had not in fact cancelled it. And even as he pulled up my reservation on the computer, I had to insist that yes, I wanted to cancel my reservation.

This is one sleazy operation. I would never consider staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ladylawton
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

We do apologize for any incovenience that this guest may have incurred. We sincerely hope that potential guests will pay close attention to the inconsistencies that this review has. There was an issue with the phone and the desk agent did apologize. He was genuinely apologizing, not putting on a "charade" as this guest has put it.

Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. When they do, we work diligently to correct them in order to provide our guests with the best possible experience during their time with us.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the incovenience and hope that this guest will come to the understanding that this was a technical issue that was beyond our control. To label a place "sleazy" due to an equipment malfunction is unfortunate, as some people do not use this platform in an appropriate manner.

There are newer reviews for Fireside Inn & Suites

Reviewed 29 April 2012

The Fireside Inn was recommended by a friend who had stayed there often due to business, and I am now doing business in the area monthly. After reading reviews, I had low expectations, but the price was so good. All the staff were friendly, kind and attentive. The hotel has many rooms, an indoor pool and small exercise room. It is laid out with many wings and levels, and no elevator so book a1st floor if you must. There was a roaring fire in the lobby fireplace. The place, however, gives a dreary impression. The main area is very "woodsy" but dark wood everywhere makes it very dark and ?depressing. My room was spacious, very clean, but also dark due to the choice of "earth tones" and only one window. TV cable was terrible, but I was prepared and brought DVDs to see on my laptop. Wifi was excellent. Breakfast was excellent with hot and cold foods. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to see several rooms, the hotel is large and spread out, so you have many choices.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BostonNikki
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that we were able to exceed your expectations. We do have an upgrade scheduled to our television programing that will be completed within the next few weeks.
Thank you for taking a moment and posting your review on Trip Advisor. We value our guest's candid feedback. It is one of our best resources.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

The lodge appearance of the lobby is pleasant. However, we were put in a room in a building in the back. The room smelled horribly of stale smoke and antiquity. The carpet, furniture and beds are so dated and I didn't want to walk on the floors.

The smell of the room got into our clothing and we could smell it even after we left. never again!

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank deb1122

This guest was booked into a smoking room. They were informed prior to arrival that this was a smoking room, and waited until checkout to say something about the "stale" smell. Had we been informed that there was a misunderstanding of some sort, and that they would like to be in non-smoking room, we would have made every effort to move them into another room.

We have been upfront in stating that we are working on renovating the guest rooms, and the smoking rooms are scheduled to be completed by the end of this summer.

I sincerely hope that this guest will be willing to give us another try, if they are ever back in the area.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I checked in today and the man at the front desk was very nice. The rooms are clean but a bit outdated. The look of the restaurant and lobby are very nice. The restaurant food is below average and the wait staff needed better training! The guy that waited on us never introduced himself. He just came over and asked what we wanted. He never smiled. Our meals took forever and he kept disappearing so I had to ask another waitress for more water and another drink. I had dirty dishes in front of me for over a half hour. That is not acceptable! I could see other people look around to see where there server was too. I wish I had gone to a different restaurant then I could give this hotel a better review.

• Stayed: April 2012
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Thank you for taking a moment and reviewing your recent stay with us.
We regret that we were not able to address your concerns prior to your departure. We would like to assure you that we have addressed the issues that you have brought to our attention, to ensure we are providing the sevice and atmosphere that is worthy of the Fireside Inn & Suites name.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed here for a two day business trip. The room was very nice and the desk area was perfect for my laptop. I enjoyed the restaurant, continental breakfast and 24 hour coffee. Would stay again!

Stayed: March 2012

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

The public areas of this hotel are the best - from the soaring fireplace in the lobby to the waterfall and fishpond in the restaurant. Very open and airy. The rooms were very clean.and spacious. Loved the fireplace and massage chair in the room. Price was competitive with others in the area so why not go for the ambiance and a friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a fireplace and on the back side away from the highway.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Thank you for writing your review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I stayed at Fireside while my husband had surgery at DHMC. It is hard to find the place ~ drive behind the lumber yard ~ but so worth it! My room had king size bed, mini fridge and microwave and most important Massage Chair!! after a very stressful day it was wonderful! Bed was nice and large TV and very clean. In the morning I was able to enjoy the breakfast buffet with friendly servers before my return to the hospital. I did not use the pool or other recreational facilities but it looked nice and clean ~ I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Dartmouth College or are have family at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Roomsdivision Manager
West Lebanon, NH

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Baymont Inn & Suites West Lebanon
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!