“Okay with some positives and some negatives”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lebanon
Toronto, Canada
“Okay with some positives and some negatives”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed 5 nights at the Fireside in June and where mostly satisfied with our stay,
Pros - good breakfast buffet in a roomy restaurant
- friendly staff except for one surly female reception clerk
- good wifi connection and ice machines
- 24 hour self-serve coffee and tea in lobby

Cons - dated furnishings and decor
- consistently malfunctioning room access locks
- lumpy pillows ( we brought our own)
- very small bathrooms

We stayed here because all of our family members where staying here that week. We had a rate of 109$ per night including breakfast, which was cheaper than the 139$ per night rate at the nearby Fairfield Inn. This is a good choice if you are on a tight budget.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank davidli
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Thank you for your review. We will be looking into the cons that you listed in your review. We appreciate your feedback.

West Lebanon, NH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Hebrew first
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed at the Fireside Inn one night during a motorcycle trip. Check in was quick, efficient and very friendly. The complimentary whoopie pie was quite tasty too! Our room was very well appointed. We had a king that included a pretty fireplace and great massage chair. The bed was very comfortable. Pillows were plentiful but flat. Need some nice feather pillows on those beds. Bathroom was a bit outdated but functional and clean. TV was outdated. The lobby is very pretty with the koi pond and nice decor. We had dinner at the onsite restaurant. Nothing to rave about. It was edible but thats it. Complimentary Breakfast buffet was very good.Pool area looked very nice too but we didn't use it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay and the feedback that you have provided here on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the area soon.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This was my first stay at the Fireside Inn and having read a few of the reviews I was a little hesitant but once I checked in all those reviews were a distant memory. The check-in was quick and efficient, the lobby was warm & cozy with a beautiful fireplace (which was certainly welcome on the wet & damp weekend), beyond there was the open dining area with a bubbling waterfall & beautifully lit trees, very whimsical!!! Our room was on the 1st floor and was beautifully decorated (was recently renovated), with a small fridge and microwave, and super comfortable mattresses. The only negative, which is very minute, is I found the bathroom to be somewhat cramped (to enter & close the door is somewhat tight). A reviewer had mentioned about the numerous entrances that were not secure which I read the hotel is going to address but I was not overly concerned because the rooms were very secure. The free hot breakfast buffet was hands down the BEST free hot breakfast buffet I have ever had & I have stayed at quite a few hotels. The scrambled eggs were so creamy & buttery they melted in your mouth. We also had sausages 1 day, bacon the next with home fried potatoes & biscuits and gravy 1 day & homemade hash the next. Good variety of cereals (both hot & cold), fruit, pastries, yogurt, waffle station (unfortunately did not have enough room to eat them!!), several types of bread for toast. The ladies serving in the dining area were most friendly! I did not get to use the indoor pool or play area but it looked to be well maintained. More than ample parking & close to the Interstate but not too close that you hear any noise. Will definitely be making a return trip!!!!!

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you have a problem with stairs, ask to have a room on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bridgetmtl
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay and your opinions of the negative reviews that have been posted. We enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on a business trip. The staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful upon checkin, but that's about as good as it got. The rooms are very dated, with mis-matched furinture (not in a good way...,) and a random massage lounge chair literally wedged into the corner of the room. The bathroom, and its fixtures were straight out of the early 70's. The walls and ceiling are truly paper thin, I could hear the normal conversations of those on both sides, and even tell when the person in the room above me was having a coversation.

On the plus side, the room did appear to be well cleaned.

My single biggest issue with the Fireside Inn, however, would be potential security issues. It is a long two story hotel with several wings, therefore there are many separate entrances away from the lobby. Not a single one of these has any nighttime access restrictions (ie having to use your room key to enter.) Anyone can just walk on in, at any time of the day. Add to that, my room key stopped working during my stay, so I went to the front desk, and the woman at the front desk re-keyed it, without any attempt to verify who I was, didn't even ask for my name. Not acceptable.

I will not be returning.

Stayed May 2012
4 Thank rahansen11
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
I would like to address this guest's concern about the safety of our property. While the entry doors around the hotel currently have no automatic locking mechanism, our property is staffed 24 hours a day and the guest rooms have muliple locking systems on them. The Fireside Inn & Suites takes the security of our guests very seriously, and we see that this may be a concern for them.We will be looking into getting automatic locking mechanisms on each entrance door. While it is the policy of this hotel to obtain identification before handing out additional rooms keys to guests, in this instance, this guest was recognized by the desk agent. Under no circumstances will a desk agent give a key to a guest without knowing that the room belongs to them.

As stated in previous reviews, the hotel is under renovations. We try to place all incoming guests in the rooms that have been completed, however, once they are filled up, we use the rest of our inventory.

I would like to thank this guest for taking a moment to give us their thoughts. We hope that if this guest is in the area in the future, that he/she will be willing to give us another try and see the renovations first hand.

West Lebanon, NH

Travellers are raving about these Lebanon hotels

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We were at a day-long event in Hanover, New Hampshire, and had planned to stay at the Fireside Inn overnight. When our plans for the night changed, I called the inn at 3:45 p.m. to cancel that night's reservation--well before the 4:00 same-day cancellation deadline. When I told the person who answered the phone that I wanted to cancel my reservation, he asked me to hold or to call back in a few minutes since they were very busy and he was checking people in, which would take several minutes. He then asked my name and said I didn’t need to call back, assuring me he’d take care of it.

Of course, I did call back because I needed confirmation that my reservation was cancelled. Again, the man who answered just put me on hold and then never picked up again. Over the next 40 minutes, I called nine more times, and not once did anyone answer the phone. Were they so busy no one could even pick up? Weirdly, the calls never went to voicemail; they just simply disconnected.

Since we were just a few minutes away, we drove directly to the hotel (while I kept calling, with no luck), walking in at 4:00 to see a deserted lobby and unattended front desk. Not so busy after all. The man who answered my first call came out from the back office and feigned surprise when I told him that no one was answering the phone. He asked me to dial again and guess what? The front desk phone didn’t make a sound. He fiddled with something on the phone (a silencer, perhaps?) and lo and behold, when I dialed again, the phone rang. There was then a pretty weak show of surprise and a half-hearted little charade where he pretended to realize that, “you know what, the phone HASN’T rung in quite a while! Wow, how in the world could that have happened?”

Another “surprise”: Despite telling me during that first phone call that he would cancel my reservation, he had not in fact cancelled it. And even as he pulled up my reservation on the computer, I had to insist that yes, I wanted to cancel my reservation.

This is one sleazy operation. I would never consider staying at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ladylawton
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
We do apologize for any incovenience that this guest may have incurred. We sincerely hope that potential guests will pay close attention to the inconsistencies that this review has. There was an issue with the phone and the desk agent did apologize. He was genuinely apologizing, not putting on a "charade" as this guest has put it.

Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. When they do, we work diligently to correct them in order to provide our guests with the best possible experience during their time with us.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the incovenience and hope that this guest will come to the understanding that this was a technical issue that was beyond our control. To label a place "sleazy" due to an equipment malfunction is unfortunate, as some people do not use this platform in an appropriate manner.

boston
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The Fireside Inn was recommended by a friend who had stayed there often due to business, and I am now doing business in the area monthly. After reading reviews, I had low expectations, but the price was so good. All the staff were friendly, kind and attentive. The hotel has many rooms, an indoor pool and small exercise room. It is laid out with many wings and levels, and no elevator so book a1st floor if you must. There was a roaring fire in the lobby fireplace. The place, however, gives a dreary impression. The main area is very "woodsy" but dark wood everywhere makes it very dark and ?depressing. My room was spacious, very clean, but also dark due to the choice of "earth tones" and only one window. TV cable was terrible, but I was prepared and brought DVDs to see on my laptop. Wifi was excellent. Breakfast was excellent with hot and cold foods. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to see several rooms, the hotel is large and spread out, so you have many choices.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BostonNikki
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that we were able to exceed your expectations. We do have an upgrade scheduled to our television programing that will be completed within the next few weeks.
Thank you for taking a moment and posting your review on Trip Advisor. We value our guest's candid feedback. It is one of our best resources.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

michigan
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

The lodge appearance of the lobby is pleasant. However, we were put in a room in a building in the back. The room smelled horribly of stale smoke and antiquity. The carpet, furniture and beds are so dated and I didn't want to walk on the floors.

The smell of the room got into our clothing and we could smell it even after we left. never again!

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank deb1122
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
This guest was booked into a smoking room. They were informed prior to arrival that this was a smoking room, and waited until checkout to say something about the "stale" smell. Had we been informed that there was a misunderstanding of some sort, and that they would like to be in non-smoking room, we would have made every effort to move them into another room.

We have been upfront in stating that we are working on renovating the guest rooms, and the smoking rooms are scheduled to be completed by the end of this summer.

I sincerely hope that this guest will be willing to give us another try, if they are ever back in the area.

West Lebanon, NH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
Element Hanover-Lebanon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Baymont Inn & Suites West Lebanon
Courtyard Hanover Lebanon
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#5 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!