“Quirky, good location”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lebanon
White Plains, New York
“Quirky, good location”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

You can tell from the other reviews that the place is a bit shabby around the edges, but is being upgraded bit by bit. It is a rather huge place, so it will probably take a while. It is dated and well, even a bit nerdy if a hotel can be called that! However, we found the staff very nice and helpful. There was a problem with our room and we were upgraded to another. A staff member appeared at our door to guide us to the new room and help with our luggage. The upgrade was a slightly larger room closer to the lobby. It had a gas fireplace (just what we needed in July), high ceiling, a crazy huge massage chair and a flat screen TV w/o HD. The A/C worked just fine, the bathroom was clean and nothing smelled like mildew. There was a threadbare spot in the hall carpeting just outside our room and some obvious chips in the paint on the door frame across from us. We could always hear people talking as they walked down the hallway. Our room package included a $20 coupon for dinner both nights of our stay and we took advantage of it upon arrival. We skipped the buffet because the choices didn't appeal to us and ordered from the menu. Our food was delicious! Better than expected. Everything was fresh and home made and plentiful. All the wait staff was pleasant and helpful. The breakfast buffet was okay and typical..make your own waffle and pancake machines, along with scrambled eggs, bacon, cereals, breads, etc. We did not use the pool because we didn't have time, but it was popular with families with children. The pool area is indoors and hot like a sauna. It was so warm outdoors they could have opened the doors or something to let in some fresh air. I can only imagine the temperature of the water. This was not our first choice of hotel and I fully expected it to be a bit different...and it was..but we stayed, slept well, ate well and found it convenient to the two main highways and shopping, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for something close to the main lobby for convenience. Call direct to make a reservation and as...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate that you acknowledged that we are updating the hotel bit by bit. Sometimes it is difficult for guests to understand that renovations do not happen overnight. It was our pleasure having you as our guest and look forward to your next visit.

West Lebanon, NH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Hebrew first
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My brother lives in West Lebanon so we usually stay at Six South. Unfortunately, they were all booked so we stayed here. My first impression wasn't that great. It was old and the carpet was suspicious. But for one night, I figured we survive. We went into our room and I had to ask the housekeeping staff if it was indeed a non-smoking room because it reeked of cigarette smoke. They assured me it was. I don't think many guests follow the rules. We had 2 queen beds and were sharing the room with our small son. My husband and I got into one of the beds and the stench of body odor from the mattress was overpowering. Horrible. Even my husband who puts up with pretty much everything was disgusted. It was 10:30pm, too late to switch rooms. So 3 of us had to sleep in one bed. Needless to say it was a horrible night's sleep. We bolted before the free breakfast (god knows what that would've smelled like). The manager offered $50 off. I suggested she comp the whole room, which she did. Never again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kathy H
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
It is very sad when someone comes to another hotel upset that they were not able to stay in the hotel of their choosing. This guest's issues with cigarette and body odor smells were looked into and found to be false. Unfortunately this guest has decided to take her frustrations out on us. We are truly sorry that your were not able to stay at the hotel of your choosing and hope that the next time you are in the area, you will be able to.

Long Island NY
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

The lighting is like something from House of Frankenstein in Lake George. Dark public spaces, darker room. This is actually a good thing because the hallways and rooms haven't been renovated in perhaps 40 years. Threadbare and buckled carpeting everywhere, peeled paint, stained coffee table in the room, old TV, used soap and wet bathmat in shower upon check-in, sticky floors in the restaurant, a sad breakfast buffet display. And it is not cheap--about $150 per night via Expedia. But there are few hotels in the area and everything is sold out. (I tried to find another place, even though we prepaid and would not be able to get a refund.) Staff were all very nice, which counts for something. If you go try Tip Top Cafe 10 minutes away. A really nice surprise for dinner.

• Stayed July 2013
Hello Mitch,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We are constantly making improvements to the decor of the hotel. The feedback that we receive from our guest helps us to determine what takes priority. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that the next time you are in the area you will be willing to stop in and see the improvements.

Wenham, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Horrible experience! Air conditioning in room didn't work so the room was damp. Ants in room too. Worst hotel I ever stayed in. Will never stay again. We left before breakfast so I don't know how that was. Only good thing was it was pet friendly but surly morning customer service people didn't make it pleasant.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Shawn B, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Julie P,

I strongly disagree with your view of our property, as do many other TripAdvisor travelers. While I am sorry to hear that you stay was "horrible," I do hope that the next time you are in the area, you will be able to find accommodations that suit your needs.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My mother and I stayed here for 3 nights while taking baking classes at King Arthur Flour. It was a little tricky to find, one of those I see it, but I can't get to it kind of deals. This property is definitely dated, but everyone we met and interacted with (especially the amazingly nice woman who served us at breakfast) was nice and helpful. I have read about other's experiencing a mildew smell, and I can attest to that as well. There was no fan in the small bathroom, so the steam from your shower led to a really strong mildew smell that permeated the entire room. We had to keep the bathroom door closed the smell was so strong. Otherwise, the room was adequate. The carpet in the hallway leading to our room had started to pucker, so watch your step. The hotel should probably look into this as it is a real safety hazard. Overall, it was exactly what I expected. An average inn, proximity to KAF can't be beat unless you're staying directly in Norwich.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephanie S
Stephanie B,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. The have ordered new carpets for the hallways to replace the buckled ones that you spoke of. They will be installed as soon as they arrive. We are very excited for this. We have been working diligently to upgrade our facility over the last 2 years. We are happy to hear that your stay went well. We hope that the next time you are in the area you will stop in to see the new carpeting.

Granby, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My wife and I just came back from a one week stay at the Fireside Inn in West Lebanon. The Fireside is centrally located to golf courses, great restaurants, and lots of shopping.

The staff was great and very helpful. The offer a full complementary breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable. We will go back there again and again.

Thanks for a great get away

Room Tip: Our room was great rest assured the are all great
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jim4seas
New Jersey
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

After returning to our room from a late dinner the air conditioner was broken. We called the front desk and once the very nice maintaince man realized it was broken it was replaced with a new one immediately. I was very impressed. There was a mildew smell which I was told had to do with all the excess rain they had. We loved the breakfast! Very fresh and clean. The waitress was very friendly and accommodating. The koi pond with the fish in the loby my granddaughter loved! The bathroom was very small and impossible to get ready in. Very old bathroom, cracks in sink and vanity. Overall it was in the exact location we needed to be in and a very friendly hotel. Good for our one nights stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Travel4life823,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was our pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.

West Lebanon, NH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
Courtyard Hanover Lebanon
Element Hanover-Lebanon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Baymont Inn & Suites West Lebanon
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#5 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!