“Family friendly, a home away from home”

The Kancamagus Lodge
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Family friendly, a home away from home”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We took our first family vacation to New Hampshire and chose to stay here after reading many reviews. The lodge is not one of the newly built large hotels that you pass by that all had vacancy signs; Kancamangas Lodge had no vacancy ... That says a lot. The lodge was a good home base to do a lot of fun activities. Leo, Nicola, and Sam the dog made my family feel so welcome. We saw them a lot because we were in the office asking for pool towels, a basketball, ping pong paddles, and a s'mores kit. Always had a smile and helpful advice. They even had a surprise birthday gift recognizing my daughter's 10th birthday. We would definitely come again. Many thanks!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank RMcCue
Leo M, Owner at The Kancamagus Lodge, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for writing such a nice review! As you stated we are not a new, fancy, large hotel . We are a small, clean, friendly , family owned property that is more of a home than a hotel. My favorite task of the day is hanging out that
"No Vacancy" sign and recently it has been hung out a lot because of people like you who trust the reviews and find value in supporting locally owned properties, and not the cookie cutter chain hotels. I hope you daughter enjoyed her birthday surprise and we look forward to seeing you again for your next family vacation. Thanks again for choosing us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Presque Isle, Maine
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

When you stay at a local establishment (read: not a national hotel) you often take a chance. Sometimes it works out well, and sometimes it doesn't. For us, this was one of the times it did. We stayed for a week here and rather enjoyed ourselves!

First thing you have to be aware of is that the decor is dated. You'll enter your room and you may find yourself wanting to leave. But honestly, go in and stay. It is the cleanest hotel room I have ever stayed in, with an extremely comfortable bed and excellent AC. The shower, while also dated in color and design was immaculate with excellent water pressure and an ample supply of hot water. The rooms are soundproof to what I can figure as I heard nothing from the street outside or the families with children staying there.

It was such a welcome respite from the craziness of everyday life. You are right near the Kancamagus highway (obviously!) with some great outdoors activities. You have excellent dining opportunities right on property as well as the Common Man restaurant being right across the street. This property is family owned, and they take a good deal of pride in serving their guests. I felt very welcomed!

Our only problem was with the WiFi there - it was horrible! Unfortunately that would be the only thing that would keep us from going back (my husband has a online business and has to be able to use the internet as we travel!)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Meg M
Leo M, Owner at The Kancamagus Lodge, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you so much for the great review! I am so happy too that you decided to try a local family owned establishment rather than one of those" national chain hotels". Our top priority at our Lodge is Cleanliness and Service, and I feel we surpass expectations on all levels of each!!

I am not sure what specific room you stayed in , but we are always in the process of updating our rooms. We have 34 rooms and as you can see from previous posts that we update sections as needed throughout the year. We recently have changed out all the carpets in our lower level standard rooms. About one month ago, in our balcony/double rooms we completely changed the decor of the room with new paint, furniture, & fixtures. Check our Facebook page for updated pix of all our new renovations and happenings( Look at our 1967 renovated wooden quad ski chair lift swing on our porch)! The free Wi-Fi has recently(as of last week) been updated from DSL to cable Wi-Fi so that should improve it dramatically. I am glad you tried us and I look forward to surpassing your expectations again when you stay with us in the future!!
Acushnet
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Recently stayed at the lodge for two nights. We really enjoyed our stay. The staff, especially the owners were very helpful and nice. The room was extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable. We booked a room with a balcony but did not end up spending any time on it. The view was OK but next time probable would go with the cheaper option. We also ate at the restaurant in the lodge, portions are huge so be aware if you are not very hungry. Overall really enjoyed our stay with them, location was very good for all that we wanted to see and do. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Did not find the balcony to be worth it for us, other people may enjoy sitting out there though.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angielynn7
Leo M, Owner at The Kancamagus Lodge, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for the review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, our balcony level rooms are the same size as our lower level standard rooms, but the private balcony does give you some extra space to spread out. The balcony rooms are only $10 additional and are very popular option during the Summer and Fall. Our restaurants Brittany's and CJ's are famous for their LARGE portions and you better bring your appetite when you choose to dine with us for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Glad to hear that you will definitely stay with us again.....we look forward to seeing you again also!
Great Bookham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed end June/ early July.
Good lodgings and very friendly owners Nicola & Leo ... and their lovely dog Sam!
Lincoln is in the heart of the White Mountains / National Forest area with many exciting things to see and do.
Kancamagus Highway is a renowned area for seeing moose. As it happens, we never saw a moose but, to our delight, we saw a black bear instead! Lots of other wildlife to see, also.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Leo M, Owner at The Kancamagus Lodge, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us ! You are right we are in the heart of the White Mtn National Forest, and wildlife is all around us. Seeing a moose or a bear is always a treat when travelling around the area. The only way to guarantee you seeing a moose while you are here is to jump on the Moose Tours bus that leaves from across the street from us daily in the evening time. They are at 100% sightings rate as of today! Thank you for the review, and we hope to host your stay again in the future when you return to the states!
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We come to Lincoln every year for brewfest. We understood that it gets a little crazy with everyone in town so not everything is perfect. We normally would stay at Loon Mountain for the one night. The rooms were clean and had a minifridge which was awesome. The indoor pool was awesome along with the outdoor firepit.
The room, staff and area were all excellent. The only disappointment was the price paid. We received a package deal for the weekend which included 2 nights, 2 tickets to brewfest, and a $20 voucher to either Brittany's or CJ's. This package was around $400, quite a chunk of change for 2 nights. Either way I chose this because most hotels were only offering 2 night minimums
I was extremely disappointed that we didn't even have a chance to use the meal voucher. We didn't arrive to the hotel til late Friday night, the voucher could not be used at breakfast, we had already left for the brewfest which started at 4 before dinner, and both restaurants were closed on Sunday. It was extremely disappointing.
Next time, I think ill shop around again for the best deal because the price tag was far too high for what we received with our stay.

• Stayed June 2014
Leo M, Owner at The Kancamagus Lodge, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for posting a review! I am glad you were able to secure a room with us during the 10th annual New England Brewfest. It is a very popular weekend and we are the closest Lodge to the festival so we sell out very quickly. I am sorry you felt our package was priced too high. Our basis room package is actually the least expensive package in town. I am not sure what room package you chose for that weekend, but our basic package started at $278(plus NH tax) for 2ppl ,which includes two nights lodging, two tickets to the Brewfest ($80 value), and a $20 dinner voucher. That breaks down to a $89/night room. Since you arrived late on Friday and left early on Saturday, you should have spoken with me because of your special circumstance, and I could have let you use the voucher for breakfast at Brittany's, that was open on Sunday morning . If you decide to return next year to the Brewfest, I encourage you to shop around and I am sure you will realize that we actually offer the "best bang for your buck" and will choose to stay with us again.
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife and I booked an overnight at the Kancamagus Lodge over the July 4th weekend. The KL isn't nearly the size of some of the resorts in Lincoln - which means better parking and better access to amenities. The heated indoor pool is a nice touch. While my wife and I didn't have it to ourselves it wasn't overcrowded. My experience with pools in larger resorts is that they are overrun with children making it more of a playground atmosphere than an opportunity to take a relaxing swim. So kudos for the pool and relaxing atmosphere.

The room was as expected. We had a queen bed that I found VERY comfortable. The shower water pressure and hot water was excellent. I think the only negative thing I found was that the outlets in the room were outdated or too large. It made plugging in our cell phones or an iron I borrowed from the front desk very difficult. We were able to charge our cell phones...but the plugs barely rested in the outlets. Maybe it was just our room? We stayed in Rm 17.

WiFi was easy to access - no password necessary.

Our room had a second door which led to a small covered deck over looking road. Another unexpected nice touch.

The real value at the Kancamagus Lodge are the owners/staff. I think it's a family run operation. Both Leo and his wife were pleasant to deal with and almost overly accommodating. I think he even told us he'd be happy to bring a load of firewood out back if we wanted to have a camp fire later that night. Their approach really had the feeling of, "welcome to our home, mi casa su casa." I can't say enough about how pleasant they were to deal with.

I will be rebooking our next weekend up north at the Kancamagus Lodge.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor rooms have a nice deck option.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andy L
Leo M, Owner at The Kancamagus Lodge, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you so much for the "Awesome" review!! I am glad you had the chance to enjoy our many amenities such as our indoor pool and firepits. As you noted, our Queen bedrooms are very comfortable and the private decks out in front of them are a great place to relax at the end of a long day. We are in the process of installing new plugs that include USB ports in all our rooms to make it easier to plug in your cell phones. My wife and I do live right on the property, so technically when you check into the Lodge...you are checking into our HOME, and I am glad you felt that way when you stayed with us! I look forward to your return next time you head up "North"!
Apollo Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our group of 23 stayed 4 nights at the lodge. It's an older lodge but the rooms had all been refurbished and all were very clean and comfortable. The owners were great to work with and they even set up a bike wash station for us. There is an indoor pool, a fire pit outside and a restaurant connected to it. The only down side was there was no breakfast included and none on site that was open during the week, however there were places nearby and in Woodstock.

Room Tip: All rooms were double full size beds. The 2nd floor rooms have balcony's. The location is perfec...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bruce L
Leo M, Owner at The Kancamagus Lodge, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to post a review! We host many different groups throughout the year and each have different needs. We customize your groups' stay with what you request upon booking. We would have included breakfast, if your group had requested it, but unfortunately they did not. It was considered a "shoulder" season when your group stayed with us and the restaurant was not open to the public on Mon & Tues, but if we knew your group wanted breakfast we would have opened for your group. I am glad you found our rooms comfortable and clean, our housekeepers work very hard to make all the rooms spotless. I look forward to hosting your motorcycle group again in the future. There are so many beautiful roads to explore here in the White Mtns!