“Night mare at the Beacon”
Review of Days Inn Lincoln

Days Inn Lincoln
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We were first booked in a cottage which I was told were recently renovated, But after checking it out, it was very outdated. I will say that the Owner tried very hard to make us happy by giving us a room over looking the indoor pool, but those to are also very dated. All n all I have to say I totally understand why people would not want to stay here. They need to renovate the whole place. .

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Diane U

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed at the Beacon in October 2011 with my children. We stayed in a cottage and it was great. Very clean, well kept and spacious, we had a huge bedroom with 2 beds a livingroom with a couch and pull out bed from the wall and a kitchen area. We swam in the indoor pool and it was very clean kids loved it. We had the meal plan and it was fine, the breakfast was ok - although I am not a big breakfast so I cant really put too much into it. We had dinner and it was very good. I am actually coming again in June for Bike week and we booked 2 cottages and a room. I am also thinking of coming in July with my kids again and would definately book my stay at the Beacon.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We just came back from a 2 night stay at the Beacon and were very pleased with our package deal. Yes the place is "dated" but it gives you a sort of nostalgic feel and the employees are super nice and friendly. The meals were excellent and we hardly noticed the other guests even though the parking lot was full. We also enjoyed the hot tub after a full day of skiing. I would say the chlorine was a little bit overwhelming but that is our only complaint. This is definitely not a 4 star hotel, it is a motel but it is very charming and the prices are too hard to beat as we shopped around this area and this was the best deal. I would recommend it for families with children and couples looking to do a lot of skiing.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alpinegato
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Place needs a lot of maintenance and upkeep. Whirlpool bath was dirty, as was pool shower area. Food was college dorm quality, although unlimited quantity. WiFi not working.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Tiger1965
BeaconLincoln_NH, Manager at Days Inn Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

We appologize for the wifi not working properly. In the last week or so, the wifi has been in and out. We had a professional come in and fix this. . It is working fine now. We are sorry that you felt that our food was not up to par, however sometimes if you are here with a group certain meals are set buffet style. We would welcome you back to enjoy our restaurant with it's large assortment of foods that are on the menu that we offier. If curious, please check out the web site and view our regular menu. We hope that this does not defer you from visiting us again in the future as we value our customers and thank you for your constructive comments as this can only help in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

I am a travel agent and travel allot, but I am also not picky....I usually say a vacation is what you make of it and who you are with. That was the case here. My husband and I had a good time because we didn't let it ruin our weekend and we went out and did things in the area. But with that said....we must say it was the worst Hotel Room we have ever stayed in! This stay was purchased on Groupon, so we assume it was less that what it would have been their standard rate We are thinking because of it being a Groupon deal they gave us their worst room. What a mistake.....Groupon is to generate business....not turn people off from it.

First, when we tried to enter our room we had to hold onto each other as it was like an ice skating rink from the hotel room doors out at least 5 feet into the parking lot! In front of all the doors the ice was built up at least 5-6 inches! And no, it had not recently snowed or rained....the rest of the parking lot and roads had been down to bare pavement. They are lucky nobody has injured themselves and sued them yet! And to make it worse our room's outside light did not work, so we couldn't even see if it weren't for our car lights that have delay shut off.

When we walked into our room the immediate entrance was tiled....most of them being cracked. We turned to close the door and noticed there was no chain....just a flimsy bedroom door type lock. Not even a deadbolt! Oh and did I mention the doors are like indoor luan hollow doors. And besides the fact of them being hollow....there was about a 1/4 inch gap in where the doors closed so we had constant cold air coming in!

The room was very dark and it didn't help that two of the lamps did not work. They do have nice flat screen tv's but their free wifi didn't work. I will give the hotel one thing, the bed seemed comfortable mattresses.

The bathroom...where to begin, put it this way, we could not get ourselves to shower in there. The shower was not used but yet it leaked such a steady drip that the maid laid a towel down over the edge and on the floor to catch the water!!!! Never mind actually fixing the problem. The paint was peeling off the walls in the bathroom and it was filthy. On the last day I turned the faucet on to wash my hands.....it popped and water stopped coming out! No hot water......at all. I turned it to cold and it just flowed out of the top of the faucet all over the counter top!

The indoor pool is very old and had allot of debris floating in it. The Hot tub, should be hot if I'm not correct...the pool water was warmer. There was garbage left on the window sills of the pool room and the walls in the hot tub room had mold on them! Disgusting is the only way to sum this up.

If you ever do get stuck staying here.....bring ear plugs if you are in a front room....or you will hear all the people walking by like a heard of elephants!

We cannot rate the restaurant as we decided from the upkeep of the hotel, it was probably a wise choice to not eat there. As for the lounge.....Friday and Saturday night....never even opened. This hotel or resort as they call it I'm sure in it's time....the 50's and 60's it was the place to be. But now that it's 2012....they need to fix some things and do some upkeep. There is NO excuse for peeling paint, cracked tiles, plumbing leaks, no locks on doors or substandard locks, and for safety sake, at least put ice melt in front of the room entrances.

Room Tip: From the looks of this whole property I do not believe there could be any good choice of rooms here.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Laurie C

Thank you for your comments. The items in you feeback are being addressed. We hope that you will give the Beacon another try. We have some great specials coming up with entertainment and would love to see you back.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We took a 3 Night Package at the Beacon Resort for New Years Weekend...It was a GREAT way to relax after the hustle an.d bustle of the Holidays...The Staff are amazing they make you feel welcome right from the beginning of your get-a-way...The hardest part of this weekend was choosing our meals..The food was outstanding!!!
With Ed & Ann Clermont you are not just "guests"....your "friends"...So with that being said We have decided that this will be an annual event for us...
A BIG thank you to all of you at the BEACON RESORT for a Great Time

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2012

After spending my time at this motel during my childhood had me excited to return. Room was dingy and under a stairwell. I'm not picky when it comes to something like a hotel room, because I go there for the sights, not dwelling in a "resort." I was even told we were receiving a suite, but ended up with two twin beds, yet, I still didn't care to complain because I wanted to just have a nice break. One of our bed lights didn't even work! We could barely fit on one bed together. Still, no complaints.

We were initially enthused there was a hot tub outside because it was right next to our room and the indoor pool is locked up at night...but on the website, there is a supposed Jacuzzi tub outside. Want to know why you can't see it in the avatar? It should be on the immediate upstaged right of the pool. Don't see it, right? That's because it's non-functional and looks like a cesspool. Still...don't want to ruin my anniversary. I do give credence to the staff member closing the pool on our first night, as she allowed us extra time after the pool closed.

I have a gripe that I put up with all of this nonsense for what was supposed to be a pleasant time and was a good and non confrontational customer, when, according to them, I should have been calling them every time I found something wrong with my room. I was told while booking for a suite that they had one left during the time we were booking our room. After talking to them after checkout, they explained they would have gladly changed my room. I wanted a suite, I booked a suite, and I paid for a suite...but their solution was to move us to a smaller room. Everything from the filthy floor, the sight for sore eyes shower (that I couldn't even bring myself to use), the hairs and the used band-aid in the hot tub, the petrified grasshopper I found under my bed while looking for my cell (which would have been the last straw to make a move and complain had I not been checking), but especially, the accusations and 200 dollar charge spontaneously charged to my account after my boyfriend wrote a bad review. I know they read the review because they knew and defended details that was only disclosed in the review, sometimes verbatim.

I smoke cigarettes. and I have no problem with smoking outside (my bf doesn't smoke so I don't smoke around him). SO, here is what REALLY happened, and not what supposedly happened, according to the Beacon, in their response to my boyfriend's review. there are plastic chairs provided for smokers conveniently weened directly between the SCREEN door to the room and the air conditioner in the window. I don't like littering, but I didn't see a place to dispose of my cigarette, so I threw it in the room trashcan. Big mistake that was, because I already threw a mcmuffin in the trash that was wreaking up the room that morning. Another mistake: my boyfriend would sit in the doorway and/or not keep the main door closed while I smoked cigarettes. I didn't think it would matter and I don't remember it being in the contract you sign before you get your room key, but apparently it was a 200 dollar mistake. I did eventually go a couple of rooms down and stole one of the butt cans the motel leaves out. The trashcan ended up stinking so bad that we left it outside until the night before we left. First, we get 200 charged to account. That wasn't how much the room was...A couple of days later, we were charged our room fee.

My boyfriend called to find out why there were numerous charges, and they accused us of smoking in the room, and that it costs 200 to get the curtains dry cleaned and the bedding washed. You should be cleaning the bedding; that's disgusting.He asked to speak to a manager and said he didn't need to speak to anyone but her (not yet disclosing her position there). He was getting no where with them on the phone and she hung up on him. Hardly customer service.

I called back and a man picked up. I used the extension for billing, as I believed that would be who would be able to answer my questions. After him barking at me that I called the wrong department, I heard him talking extremely rudely about my boyfriend and I. A woman gets on the phone and I inquire how they could say I smoked in the room. The cigarette butts I had to put in the room's trash? She said the room smelled like smoke. I explained about the screen door, she said it didn't matter. She became hostile with me and explained how inspects and manages all the rooms and our room was, according to her standards, spotless. I asked her if she noticed how bad the breakfast sandwich smelled and if she noticed there were wet cigarette butts in our trash. She said she didn't inspect OUR room herself. I questioned what grounds she had to be in charge of inspecting and allotting fines, and she had no response. She ended the conversation by hanging up on me.

We paid the extra money for something we didn't do, so buyer beware...and if you're going to stay there and smoke, go far away and keep your door closed. It's been about 5 months, and we just got a second 200 fee, and we haven't even been in New Hampshire. I'd recommend using a credit card you can add money to, so you don't end up in the same situation we did. I wasn't going to put in the effort of trashing this motel, but after the way we were treated and how we are now getting mysterious charges (assuming they now have our credit card number), I would def. go somewhere else, because there are way nicer hotels in Lincoln.

Room Tip: Suites are the best because they have a Jacuzzi tub in the room, but make sure you ask them to speci...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple