“Brilliant”

Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: American, African, Asian, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Food from around the world with a New England touch.
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A really nice quirky place. I have to say that I had the best duck breast ever, and the rest of our party really enjoyed their food. Terrific staff making everybody feel welcome and relaxed. A fine experience, not to be missed.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

What a treat to "discover" this place. It's located in an unassuming building, but with one step into the restaurant we were taken aback by the wonderful decor. After that came the menu, eclectic to say the least. Next came the service and then the food. My wife, my sister and I shared a Mediterranean appetizer plate followed by a mushroom and Brie soup that was incredible. After that we delved into the eclectic menu, wondering if a small kitchen could handle it. Out came our Middle Eastern, Mexican and American style entrees. All the meals were excellently prepared and delicious. The kitchen people must be a really a talented crew. Hoping against hope, we ordered dessert. This became the piece de resistance (my wife says that "the Pumpkin Crisp was to die for", and I enjoy reminiscing over my Trifle. My sister is still in heaven over her home made Wild Blueberry pie, but she's back in California-her tough luck.) And these are all made by the woman who co-owns the restaurant and does the hostessing as well. She was delightful and made us feel very welcome. (We got a chance to speak with her during our meal.) All this happened while being attended to by a wait staff person who was very attentive and personable. Needless to say, as we left to continue on our foliage drive, the three of us were still really excited about the dining experience we just had and the place we had just "discovered". We plan on making the 2+ hour drive in the future. The Gypsy Cafe is now another "must" for us on any subsequent trips. You'll be absolutely thrilled that you "discovered" this place as well.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Now this was a real surprise and a pleasant one at that. There are limited options to dine in Lincoln (dine, not simply eat) so finding this place (thank you fellow reviewers) was a treat! First of all, the moment you walk in the door, you know you are not in a run-of-the-mill restaurant. Your eyes can barely take in all of the eclectic decorations, mostly mosaicked walls & mobiles, and bright colors everywhere, It’s delightful! And happy! Even the wall by the restrooms are lined with beautiful mosaics. Turns out, the mosaics are all done by the chef! His menu is equally eclectic so it’s obvious to me this is one creative guy. I happened to mention to our server that I dabble in mosaics myself and to my surprise, the chef came out and we talked about our projects. How great is that??

The soup of the day was mushroom & brie bisque, which arrived nice & hot, and so delicious. The menu includes a variety of cultural influences, from Thai to Indonesian, southwestern to Jamaican, American to Mediterranean. We went for the pork medallions and Indonesian peanut stir fry with chicken. Both dishes exploded with layers of flavors! They were so good.

This is a must if you are in Lincoln. It’s a great place and you’ll have so much fun looking at all the art that surrounds you during your experience. Helpful hint: stay away from NH pinot gris – NH does a lot well, but wine isn’t one of them.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

It was Columbus Day weekend and there were waits at all the big restaurants. We didn't know where to turn for a bite to eat and actually asked at another local establishment for advice on where to go. They recommended the Gypsy Cafe and we were pleasantly surprised. We only ordered appetizers, trying to keep things under budget. We had nachos, chili and a salad. The salad was a very good, just a bit small. The nachos, however, were FANTASTIC. The cheese and toppings were layered throughout, not just on the top. We WILL be back for these nachos again. Our server the owner's wife and our service was also fantastic. Besides our server all of the other staff we encountered were attentive, friendly and helpful. What a great place! We will definitely be back on our next visit to the Lincoln area!

1  Thank Matt S
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A great place to eat and good value. Danielle was our waitress and she was very pleasant and helped us with our menu selections. The desserts were delicious!