“You Are Staying in My Mother’s Childhood Home!”

Bishop Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Arlington, Virginia, United States
“You Are Staying in My Mother’s Childhood Home!”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Dear Readers: It is such a pleasure reading your wonderful "reviews" of the Bishop Farm B&B in Lisbon, NH and learning of your warm memories and experiences in what is, in fact, my mother's childhood home. My now 80-year-old mother, Jean Bishop Martin, grew up in the family-owned farm with her now 84-year-old sister, Barbara Bishop White, their parents and other close relatives. My mother and aunt also lived in the home as 20-something newlyweds - until they started their own families. My family sold the farmhouse in the early 1960s and watched as the farmhouse changed ownership several times. The times when the farmhouse was "for sale" were the saddest times because of the deterioration of the house and barn and the overgrowth of vegetation. THEN, in the 2006-07 timeframe, along came the Salter family (mother and three siblings) with the wise idea to purchase the property AND restore it BACK TO WHEN MY MOTHER AND HER FAMILY LIVED THERE! Early on, the Salters interviewed my mother and my aunt and collected old photos from my family to help with their restoration work back to the original property, but with all the modern conveniences we have come to expect! The amazing restoration of the home where my parents lived as newlyweds brought them such joy and gratitude -- for the Salter's incredible foresight, and all the love and care they were putting into the farmhouse and even the cottages, which were nearly dilapidated at the time the Salters purchased the property. I brought my parents to the B&B several times over the past few years -- including for my brother's wedding there in June 2008 -- and they so loved and appreciated all of the wonderful renovations the Salters were making bit by bit (i.e., room by room and cottage by cottage). Their favorite thing to do was to sit in the white New England-style rocking chairs on the front porch and look off to the White Mountains in the distance. I can only imagine the thoughts and memories running through their minds during those moments, and, having the pleasure and privilege to enjoy this family home of their youth...all because of the Salters! My parents are both now in a nursing home in the Springfield, MA area (my immediate family moved from the White Mountain Region to Western Massachusetts in 1964) and are not capable of making another visit to the Bishop Farm B&B. But, they have lived well enough and long enough to see the amazing results of the Salters' vision and hard work, including seeing their son get married on the property. My family will be forever grateful to the Salter family for bringing this Bishop family farmhouse and property BACK TO LIFE! My siblings and cousins I will continue to visit the B&B as often as possible, as it is not only a beautiful B&B with amazing hosts and hospitality, it is our family's home restored and history preserved....that is now being shared with ALL OF YOU! Sincerely, Tamara L. Martin, Washington, DC, on behalf of my beloved mother, Jean Bishop Martin, my five siblings and all of the extended Bishop Family. We wish the Salters continued success!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TLMartin1964

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
West Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 11 June 2012

First let me tell you that I used this site and it's reviews to pick a B & B in New Hampshire, and Bishop Farms was extremely highly rated. We were not dissapointed! We stayed in the Mt Washington suite for 3 nights mid-week and it was like being in a home away from home. Maggie and Annie whipped up breakfast for us and the other couple staying in the house, and each day was something different. My wife has a gluten allergy and they accomidated it nicely. The bed was a huge king and the sheets and pillows were better than some of the high class hotels out there. Annie has a way of making you feel totally at ease at Bishop Farms. We all spent the last night there sitting in the enclosed porch in the back of the house talking about everything, as her dog Martha slept next to me. My wife and I cannot wait to go back. The mistake I made though was taking just shorts with me! bring pants and a coat if you come in May! :)

Room Tip: We choice the suite because it had an additional sitting room for reading,but all the rooms in the h...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian B
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Bishop Farm for one night, which we purchased through groupon. The B&B is beautiful, newly renovated, and the innkeepers are extremely friendly and accommodating. The first floor has an entertainment room with a big screen TV, a living room with a fireplace, and a room full of games. The room we stayed in was spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. I think that breakfast was my favorite part, SO delicious! We will definitely stay there again when we head up that way. Thank you groupon for introducing us to such a lovely B&B!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My husband and I enjoyed one of our best get-a-way weekends ever. The Mother/Daughter Innkeepers make sure you feel like family. The Inn is newly remodeled with modern features, yet cozy and quaint, and the most comfortable furnishings. The breakfast is home-made with farm fresh eggs and local yummies. Maggie and Annie introduce everyone and welcome you to their family. We can't wait to go back. The Inn is located near the White Mountain adventures but in the country so you can relax and end your day with homemade cookies. Thanks Maggie and Annie..see you soon!

Room Tip: We were in the Mt. Pierce room which had three windows that let the morning sun shine in, however, i...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My fiance and I stayed at Bishop Farm for 2 nights over President's Day weekend. As soon as we arrived, we were enthusiastically met by Annie, who was an incredible hostess throughout the weekend. We instantly felt as if we were being welcomed into a friend's home. Our room (we stayed in Mt. Madison) was beautiful. It let in alot of sun and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on.There was also a great space heater that looked like a fireplace, and a nice large shower. Breakfast each morning was delicious and filling. I also really enjoyed the fresh homemade cookies that were always out for taking! Annie was great about giving us tips about the area and helping us decide on our activities. We went into the weekend with high expectations that were absolutely surpassed. We really felt like we were able to get away from it all and truly relax. We 100% recommend Bishop Farm! Thanks Annie and Maggie for a wonderful weekend! -Thespina and Jon

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We stayed at Bishop Farm B&B this past summer, and what a special memory it is for us. Such a peaceful and wholesome place; great for taking a break from the daily grind. Annie and Maggie really do make it special with their warmth and open friendliness; they made us feel like we were their favorite guests ever, but of course that was just their nature making us feel so welcome. Food was wonderful, but it's the warm memory of the place itself and our hostesses that will bring us back. In terms of location it's a bit more NW of our usual White Mtn haunts, but from there we discovered the Northeast Kingdom area of Vermont and loved it for a great day's touring by car. Love to go back sometime.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Great Barrington, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We stayed in the suite the weekend before Thanksgiving to celebrate our third anniversary. It was our first night away from our son who was just over a year old. We selected a private room on the third floor, but when we got there, we were the only guests - so they offered us the suite. Maggie had just painted the suite (it didn't smell of paint) and was putting some finishing touches on the room. It was beautiful and Maggie has really good taste in decorating. They put a new small space heater fireplace in the sitting area of the room which was wonderful!

We could here people downstairs, but that was at 7pm. We spent the whole night in (enjoyed a bath for the first time in over a year, and sat around in the sitting area in robes eating treats from Chutters) so it wasn't a surprise to hear people still milling around in the dining room and kitchen. I guess if you want a supper quiet room, stick with the third floor - but we didn't mind and the suite's sitting area with the space heater fireplace was wonderful!

Annie was hard at work making jewelry for a show (not complaining, we met and talked with her a couple times and she was very nice but really didn't need much and pretty much kept to ourselves), but Maggie was always around, so helpful, and a pleasure to talk to at breakfast. The breakfast was awesome with a homemade chili sauce to put on the farm fresh eggs (and homemade applesauce, pancakes, and sausage).

We loved this place and will be recommending it to others.

Room Tip: The Suite is spacious and has a wonderful sitting area, but if you want it to be quiet the whole nig...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisbon
Hampton Inn Littleton
#3 of 5 in Franconia
Hillwinds Lodge
Hillwinds Lodge
#3 of 5 in Franconia

Been to Bishop Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!