“Closest thing to a Time Machine”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Thayers Inn

Thayers Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Littleton
Candia NH
“Closest thing to a Time Machine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

This place is amazing! I've stayed here many times over the last 10 years and just realized I never reviewed it. Where to start? Well, how many hotels are fun? They have two whole rooms set up as recreations of a day in the life of Pollyanna, the town's most famous character. Look through the glass door, press the button, and listen to the narration. How many hotels wouldn't have turned those into paying rooms?

How about hallways that are 12 feet wide? Or a spiral staircase that is so out of code (26 inch railings...) that the building inspector must have to walk by blindfolded. Giant original oil paintings that must be 5 feet tall in the hallways. Multiple balconies to hang out and watch Main Street (although the 26 inch railings can send a chill down your spine). Then there's the cupola on the fifth floor that is sooo cool.

My kids love this place and you'll never find a place with more character. Part of that character means there's not a square inch on the floor where if you place a ball it won't immediately start rolling somewhere. Or maybe your kids have never seen real cast iron radiators in action--watch out, they can get hot. Or how about room keys? Remember those metal things you stuck into door knobs. It even have the hotel's address on it so you can toss it in the mail to return it after you carry it home, which I've done a few times.

Each room is different with it's own character (and a range of prices). We used to stay in suite 9/11, two connected rooms. But now we've found an even better room--but I ain't sayin' cause I don't want it filled next time I come up.

There's a great gourmet restaurant in the lower level. And Littleton itself is super. Hang out on the rocks in the river or float through the whirlpools and rapids on the river. Check out the cool suspension bridge just west of the hotel. Chutter's candy store, antique shops, breakfast diners. It's all cheap (or free) fun. No chain stores anywhere in site.

If you like one-offs, the quirky, anything authentic, this is the place!

Room Tip: I'm keeping it a secret. HInt--on third floor.
1 Thank jamesl6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Ledyard, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay in Thayer's Inn, in Littleton, NH 23-24 Aug 2013. The hotel staff that we interacted with were very friendly, polite and accomodating. We stayed in Room 3, nicely furnished with plenty of old-time charm. This Inn reminded me of another favorite old hotel of mine, The Bell, in Sandwich, Kent, UK. As noted in other reviews I've read about this Inn, the shower/toilet area is small, but at 6ft 1in and 260lbs I didn't have any trouble at all.

My wife and I didn't eat in the Inn's restaurant, Bailiwick's, but it sure was busy during our stay. We would not hesitate to stay in Thayer's Inn during future visits to Littleton, NH.

1 Thank Richard B
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I wasn't too sure what to expect from the hotel, but it ended up being a very good choice for our family. We were travelling with a family of 5, and we reserved rooms 9 and 11 (family suite). They are adjoining rooms, and although they share a bathroom and shower, each has it's own vanity and sink. When combined, the room was extremely large. We had plenty of room for all of.

As you can read from other posts, the hotel is very old, and the rooms feel old, but not in a bad way - in a historic way. The floors slant, the fascia around the doors doesn't line up, the floors squeek when you step on them, but we had a blast there. The rooms are very clean and the beds are quite comfortable. Very quiet at night, and the hotel is right in the middle of town. If there were any "action" in the town, Thayers Inn would be right in the middle of it.

I only have 2 small complaints. Although the staff was friendly enough, they couldn't really answer questions about where to eat or what to do. The town is only 4 blocks long, so I found this somewhat odd. Also, tge breakfast they serve is VERY basic...bagels, fruit, yogurt

1 Thank arrosen
Gray, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

For many years, my husband and I have made weekend pleasure trips to Littleton. Without question, our hotel of choice is Thayers Inn. Not only because of the historic element of the inn (i.e., pictures of past presidents who stayed there can be found in several displays) and the convenience to Main Street, but because of the friendliness and courtesy of the folks who work there.
For instance, when I called to make a reservation recently Laurie Richards answered the phone. When I gave her my name, she recognized it immediately and went out of her way to make me feel like I was making a reservation to come home :) To me, that was very special. Thayers Inn -- a great place to stay when in the area!

1 Thank Barbara F
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

A lovely old railroad hotel in a quaint town for a great price. We loved staying here! It was like no other hotel on our trip.
The front desk staff was young but professional. They offered to help us with our luggage but we had no problem carrying it up the stairs to the second floor on our own (be forewarned, there is no elevator). We stayed in a back room down a narrow little hall. It was actually two rooms connected together, each with a double bed and a Jack and Jill bathroom, which was perfect for our 2 kids and us. The kids loved having their own space. The room decor was dated (our mini-fridge was from Montgomery Ward, which long ago went out of business) but it felt intentional rather than neglectful in the context-- like staying at Grandma's house.
The hotel is like a museum and they celebrate their history with photos of celebrities who have visited on the walls and tags on the doors where VIPs have slept. There is even a room on the top floor set up to look like Pollyanna's attic room (if you haven't read the book by Eleanor Porter, staying at Thayer's Inn in Littleton will inspire you to download it to your Kindle for free! Be sure to walk across the street to see the Pollyanna statue outside the library. You'll be glad you did.)
Make sure to step out on the balconies when you visit to get a beautiful view of the town street and the mountains.
Dining options are plentiful right outside the hotel's front door. Complimentary breakfast was available but we left before 7am and missed it.
Our children are 10 and 13 and all 4 of us really enjoyed this very special hotel!

1 Thank AreWeThereYet1973
massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Loved this place! We were passing through on a road trip and first went to a newer hotel at the edge of town. We just missed the last room available and the clerk called Thayers to see if there was a room. They had a family suite available but the clerk warned us that the hotel was kind of old and creeky. We were very apprehensive driving to the inn but fell in love with it on sight! Our room -- Number 9 and 11 -- was enormous! King size bed in one room and two twin beds in the other. Privacy for everyone. Only issue was no elevator and my husband is using a cane while recovering from back surgery. But given the age of the hotel, the steps were to be expected. And it is spotless! Very well taken care of and just lovely. Hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe room. You will pay a little more than the budget rooms but the space is worth it.
1 Thank mloubug
Monmouth, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

This place was suggested by another place that was all booked up for the night. We ended up getting one of the last available which was a suite on the 3rd floor (4 flights up). It's old. It's crooked. It needs updating. There's no elevator and I can't remember the last time I saw a VCR in a hotel. HOWEVER, it is a pretty building. The bed was comfortable and the room was pleasantly clean. The history of the place is interesting. It's a nice Main Street and it's right on the river. Price was decent and they had some great muffins at breakfast:)

Room Tip: not sure how noisy it would be to have people walking on the creaky floors above you as we were at t...
1 Thank wendy w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Littleton
Hampton Inn Littleton
Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain
Exit 41 Travel Inn
Exit 41 Travel Inn
#1 of 4 in Littleton

Been to Thayers Inn? Share your experiences!