“Discovered a whole new part of New Hampshire”

Breakfast on the Connecticut
Ranked #2 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
Haverhill,MA
“Discovered a whole new part of New Hampshire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

We, the grandparents, our daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren under the age of five, stayed for three nights at Breakfast on the Connecticut. We had a wonderful time. We were treated most kindly and the children were not only accepted but made to feel welcome. The same was not altogether true of some of the area restaurants but each morning and evening it was like we were returning home. The breakfasts were delicious and the room clean and comfortable. It is a tribute to their caring that one day we went out early and left the windows open. By the end of the day it had become oppressive. What a treat to return to the room and find the windows had been closed and the air conditioner put on just enough to provide a welcome coolness when we returned!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

My husband and I visited the area for the first time and fell in love with the Inn and the fantastic couple who run it. Both my husband and I have odd food allergies, me Gluten, him apricots, walnuts and mushrooms. Donna is an accomplished cook and made modifications for us without a bit of trouble. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Pomona, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I spent a short weekend at this lovely inn with my husband & kids. The breakfast was OUTSTANDING and they had a special treat of homemade cookies in the afternoon. Even with a full house the innkeepers were extremely helpful during breakfast and the rest of the day. They suggested fun day activities for the whole family and a wonderful local restaurant for dinner. The rooms were clean and comfortable. This was an exceptional B&B experience. I can't imagine how you couldn't enjoy a stay at Breakfast on the Connecticut.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BJM24
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

My husband and I enjoy staying in B&B's especially supporting local business and talking with the owners. But this place is terrible and the exact opposite of what we've found elsewhere. Picture staying in your in-laws' basement, hearing toilets flush and loud conversations like you are in the same room---that was our stay, complete with cracked concrete floor and mis-matched furniture. Very odd layout to the Inn. Feels more like a "bunker". We checked in late---9pm--- and were treated with a less than inviting welcome. The following morning we only saw the back of our hostetes' head. She did not try to engage us or even speak with us. The host, he did not introduce himself, only asked what we wanted to eat, absolutely NO small-talk!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank NeuroPNP
, Owner at Breakfast on the Connecticut, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
I am sorry that you found your stay less than satisfactory. I am also pleased that you support local businesses and would know that they operate on small margins and have difficulty supporting layers of employment help. We are up at 5 AM in the morning to start breakfast and have a daily check-in time of 3 - 6 PM - your late check-in at 9 PM means that we are working on a 16 hour day. We have also learned after 13 years as innkeepers that individuals who check in late do not want small talk but want to be taken to their room. The next day we were serving 36 for breakfast - since I am chief cook and bottle washer (and there is only me) with my husband as waiter, I was focused on serving our guests their morning meal. Our favorite part of innkeeping is meeting and talking with our guests, but with overflow numbers sometimes that social contact is just not possible at breakfast. As to your room - the Inn was built in 1996 - 1997 with some of the most efficient systems possible. There is radiant heat in the floors, hence the painted concrete-like floors. We use only area rugs to maximize the efficiency and occasionally over time a crack may develop - the only crack in that room is a hairline crack in the bathroom and will be addressed the next time we repaint the floor. The bed and matching night table are Pompanoosuc Mills, a very upscale Shaker furniture manufacturer, and the sitting area has two Martha Washington chairs and a matching table, all Ethan Allen. As to the feel of a "bunker", the room has two windows and a 15 light door that opens to a private deck area. Overall our reviews are very favorable and we are sorry you found our accommodations not to your liking.
Greenwich, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Spent one night here while visiting my son at a nearby camp. I'm not a big B&B person, and didn't know exactly what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised with the facilities and with our stay. Our room was clean and fresh, the beds comfortable, and the common areas pleasant. Perhaps the nicest amenities were the excellent WiFi AND cell phone service. Check that - the nicest amenity was the breakfast, which was gourmet and delicious. I wish I knew about this place years ago, as it would have saved me a lot of "up and back" from camp in the same day. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Tropean
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

My fiancee and I had a most pleasant stay at Breakfast on the Connecticut this past Fourth of July weekend. It was really an ideal B&B experience at a great price. John and his wife (the owners) were helpful and really nice to us, the food was wonderful, the room was clean and cozy, the place offered a nice DVD selection (although with a pretty small TV), and all in a beautiful setting. And the place was convenient to Hanover and Queechee, where we really enjoyed revisiting Dartmouth and Simon Pearce. Also, the Italian restaurant Stella's down the road in Lyme was surprisingly quality Italian food in Northern New England.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blackrooster
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

Breakfast on the Connecticut is my and my husband's favorite B&B in the Northeast. John and Donna (and sometimes Donna's mother!) are wonderful hosts and we look forward to seeing them each time we go up, which has been about five or six times--one of which was for our wedding in the summer of 2008. The location of the inn is great if you enjoy outdoor activities--it is right on the Connecticut River, and the inn has canoes and kayaks available for guests. It is on a quiet country road, perfect for cycling (beware if you have a road bike, though--the road can get a bit rough) and running. We also just enjoy lying out on the lawn when it's warm.

As a wedding location, it is unbeatable for small weddings. When we were planning we did not hire a planner, as John and Donna helped us find most of our vendors. At the wedding itself, we had ~40 people. We held the ceremony on the lawn overlooking the river and had the reception in a tent beside the ceremony site. Donna and a small staff did the catering--the prices were very affordable, and it was probably the best food I've ever had at a wedding. Because it was a small wedding, most of our guests were able to stay at the inn and made a weekend out of it (there are 15 rooms plus a separate, two-bedroom guest house).

I highly recommend Breakfast on the Connecticut, whether you're looking for a nice place to stay or for a wedding site.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AS_2006MA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme
The Lyme Inn
Six South St Hotel
Six South St Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hanover
Residence Inn Hanover Lebanon

Been to Breakfast on the Connecticut? Share your experiences!