“First B&B Experience, Absoutley Wonderful!”

Breakfast on the Connecticut
Ranked #2 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have never stayed at a B&B before - I am used to staying at hotels, and was a little hesitant to book a stay because I thought the stay might be awkward. Boy, was I wrong. I had my first B&B experience at Breakfast on the Connecticut, and it was truly wonderful. The inn itself was just beautiful. The grounds were huge and our room had a great view of the Connecticut River to wake up to each morning. The innkeepers, John and Donna, were very knowledgeable about the area, giving tips and helpful advice on where to see in the area, and breakfast each morning was just amazing. There were plenty of choices each morning, including cold cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee and juice as well as two freshly made grill choices each morning. The blueberry pancakes and western quiche bake were both wonderful, but we cannot stop telling our friends about the fabulous french toast that was made from a croissant soaked in orange juice and Grand Marnier! As an aspiring pastry chef, I can appreciate the work that went into making that dish, and it will be one I try to re-create at home for sure. I feel that after our weekend, we've found a better way to stay and will be looking for B&B's instead of hotels in the future. We've already discussed going back to the area this summer to see more of what the area has to offer, and would be happy to stay with John and Donna again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole S
Donna51047, Owner at Breakfast on the Connecticut, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Thank you for your positive review. If you would like the recipe for the Citrus Croissant French Toast I would be more than happy to send it to you. Just pop me an email request. Good luck on your future vocation plans!

Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed at the inn with three friends as part of our baking weekend at King Arthur Flour. The inn keepers are friendly, warm, and wonderful hosts. Our freshly cooked breakfast was more than ample and included the options of cereal, fresh fruit, coffee cake, yogurt etc.

The room is quite comfortable and very clean.

In addition to being a great place for couples, it can also easily accommodate families; therefore, it might not be the right place for a couple wanting a couple's-only destination.

Since the grounds were snow/iced over, I wasn't able to fully appreciate all the inn and area has to offer (and since I was really there to attend a baking class which used up my time). However, I am considering booking a short family stay this summer.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Donna51047, Owner at Breakfast on the Connecticut, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Thank you so much for the review - we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope you had a wonderful time at The King Arthur Baking Center and took home lots of goodies for your family. Have a happy and successful 2012.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

My family (2 adults, 1 child, 1 dog) and extended family (elderly Aunt and Uncle) stayed for 2 nights over the Christmas holiday. The B&B was a perfect choice for us. The rooms, one on the main floor and one upstairs, were nicely sized, with chairs and a desk/table. They were also warm - with heated floors and a gas fireplace upstairs. The flat screen TVs were also a hit, especially with the DVD library they provided that contained so many great films.

And the breakfast both days was simply delicious - homemade blueberry pancakes and a western egg bake on one day, along with fresh fruit, coffee cake and cranberry bread, coffee, yogurt, juice, and more. It was really nice to have a delicious warm breakfast (with choices) in a stunning glass room when the snow flurries started. Two other things should be noted: 1) the innkeepers really made us comfortable and even accommodated a last minute request to add a twin bed in our room; and 2) the cell/wifi coverage at the Inn is strong and fast (which is very unusual in the area). We highly recommend this inn and will be back the next time we visit family!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This was my second stay. Again, I was attending a local conference, and the B&B was packed. Given the circumstances -- their having many more people than they were used to -- the stay was very pleasant. The timing was perfect for look/feel of the place (New Hampshire in the late Fall). The owners and their cat were as courteous and pleasant as could be. A lot of work and effort went into keeping the rooms clean, and the breakfast fresh. (I need to stop taking the baked eggs / frittatta though -- a little overcooked and flavorless, just as one would expect from a place trying to please a lowest common denominator in 15 separate rooms. Sticking to the fruit and yogurt and pancakes, I would have been much happier). The internet was a little slow (packed rooms full of geeks), and the radiant heat slow to warm to room at 5 AM (not normally set for 15 full rooms during changing temperatures). But the owners were attentive and pleasant -- offing thoughtful advice and assistance, and showing a genuine caring about each guest.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Rooms are clean and well-equipped. Breakfast is genuinely home-made and very generous. Good living room and other spaces for larger groups to sit and chat (I was part of a class reunion so this was important). Cell phone coverage is good (not that one comes to the Upper Valley to stay in touch with the office, but if you're worried about that, you'll be okay here). Off the beaten path in that it's a few miles upriver from Lyme (which is itself in the boonies) and involves several turns: nothing too daunting but if you get lost easily I would advise arriving in the daytime when you first visit. Very extensive video collection if the kids need entertaining. Large but friendly (outdoor) dogs. Great views, of mountains more than the river; good local walking routes.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Stayed at Breakfast on the Connecticut with a group attending a Dartmouth function. It's a little further from Hanover then we expected and a little difficult to find on a rainy night. It's on the north side of Lyme, almost in Orford. That said, everyone liked it very much and it was a perfect place for a group. We were able to use the living room in the evening without worrying about disturbing those who had gone to bed. Our room was in the "Barn". Rooms were comfortable and nicely furnished. Mattress was a little soft. Each room has separate room with toilet. Tub/shower and sink are in the bedroom. John was pleasant and gracious. Donna seemed a little frazzled and inflexible. Maybe due to the size of the group or difficulty getting help which I imagine could very tough. Housekeeping staff was very pleasant and efficient. Breakfasts were nicely prepared. Nothing spectacular but ample supply and variety. Went for a lovely walk on the local roads to a covered bridge. Was a little cool to try out the canoes and kayaks. Would be a spectacular place for a small wedding. Grounds are beautiful. Wonderful view of the Connecticut and Vermont hills on the other side.

Room Tip: No complaints about the "barn". Rooms were very nice and modern.