“New hampshire getaway”

Ranked #2 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
new york
“New hampshire getaway”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Great place to stay if you are visiting on parents day at camp. Unusual configuration of the bathroom with the sink and bath within the bedroom. The loo is in a separate closet enclosure.
Breakfasts were very good and filling. John's recommendations for dinners were right on.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chapin, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I took a last minute trip to the area to meet our son and a friend who have been hiking the AT since March 17th. We found the accommodations to be very comfortable and impeccably clean. John and Donna were very friendly and the breakkfasts were sumpousside sipping a glass of wine and having chesse plates. The guest refrigerator andpantry .The boys enjoyed canoeing down the river and we all enjoyed sitting outside. The guest refrigerator and pantry were nice touches as well as the many common areas. It was a little warm in the common areas but that was understandable due to the hot spell. We had the opportunity to meet other guests and hope to see them again.

I would highly recommend this inn to anyone and a visit to this area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We had a two night stay at this pretty inn. The hosts were very friendly, casual, and accommodating. We were quickly made to feel very much at home, and it was comfortable to come and go as needed. Our spacious room worked well for a stay with our son, (king -- very comfortable -- plus twin -- a little unstable, but comfortable), and I just told him to keep his eyes on his computer while I used the in-room shower. A slatted screen was available, but slats were reversed to prevent any actual screening. There was a very attractive little porch attached to the room, but a recent power washing of the building prior to painting left the door unoperable. The porch was covered with tree debris, and swept by the second day. The innkeeper allowed us to 'put in' his kayaks and canoe before his dock was in, and wading into the silt to launch was a small and slightly hilarious price to pay to paddle upstream to the covered bridge and enjoy an afternoon on the river. We returned to savor a nap, but were also unfortunate to have painters right at our window, apparently unaware of our presence inside. I finally let the crew know of our close proximity in hopes it would curb his rather offensive language in our ear. Just a little bad timing; the room was very quiet and restful when the painters were absent. The breakfasts were delicious and we never left the table hungry, but I suppose the name of the inn led us to anticipate something a bit more sumptious and decadent. No doubt best for us that it leaned more toward the elegant. There were a surplus of common rooms and porches for sitting or sipping, reading or computing (wifi not available in our lower barn room, but reception was in the lovely common room just upstairs). It was handy to have a guest refrigerator and freezer available, and a cupboard of wine glasses and other necessities, too. The only real negative was a stack of thick towels that were quite moldy smelling; we could have requested others, I'm sure, but my son needed to dry before we realized they should have been replaced. Yes, we'd love to go back, and wished we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This place has super friendly hosts. They were very helpful with restaurant recommendations and helped me with my bags. I love the driveway to this place as it is tree-lined and long. And at the end of the road driveway you see a charming large New England style home. Unfortunately, the first thing I noticed when I opened my car door was the sound of interstate 91. Even though you have to drive a few miles off of the interstate to get to the B&B, it's actually located directly across the river from the interstate and therefore you can hear the traffic in your room. So don't expect to throw open the windows and hear the quiet sounds of Vermont because what you'll hear are trucks going down the highway. I stayed in a room that works for my wheelchair (room 1). It was very oddly set up with the sink and tub in them in the main area of the room and the only door was for the toilet (I read more reviews since my return and see this seems normal for all the rooms!). There were a few things that really were a little annoying, like you couldn't really open the door to the toilet all the way because it got stuck on the rug (that they could easily have moved). The shower bench had to be pretty high to clear the edge of the tub which made for difficult transfer. The water pressure wasn't very good because half the water was coming out of tub instead of the hand-held shower piece.
Another thing that I noticed was that they were painting the outside of the house while I was there, so when I arrived and checked into my room around 4 o'clock in the afternoon the screens were off the windows and the painters were right outside my windows doing their work. Fortunately they packed up a little bit before five, unfortunately they were back at 7:25 AM picking up ladders and putting them against the house. Seems like they could've waited until 8 AM. Another unfortunate aspect of my room is that it was right off the living room and therefore it didn't feel very private, and I could hear people in the living room both at night and in the morning. The breakfasts were great in that there are always two options, and there was flexibility: for example if you didn't want bacon in your breakfast sandwich, you could just let them know. I would describe the food as very good but not outstanding-very solid American food.

Room Tip: Not room 1 because it is right off the livingroom/common area.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank abh345678
Holliston MA
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I was looking for a place to stay for a few days so I could take a class at the King Arthur Flour Baking Education Center in Norwich VT. How lucky I was to have chosen Breakfast on the Connecticut just a short distance away in Lyme NH. Donna and John were very welcoming, and the Inn is a very nice place to stay…nicely decorated, comfortable rooms, and spectacular grounds. I only wish I didn’t have to rush out each morning to get to class. I had to request a mini breakfast, which was always excellent. Some of the other guests had the luxury of enjoying quite a nice breakfast spread. Donna makes some really fine baked goods. I would love to come back some time when I would have more time to just relax.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 20 June 2012

20-25 minutes from the Green in Hanover, this is a delightful spot. Just what we ( a couple in town for a reunion) had hoped for: quiet, thoughtfully appointed rooms, superb breakfast, elegant grounds. The infloor heat would be cozy in the winter-- does make for rather cold floors in the summer--but that wouldn't keep me from coming back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doc L
Oregon
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I travel from the west coast at least once a year to visit family in Hanover and always stay at Breakfast on the Connecticut. John and Donna do a wonderful job of making me feel at home. Donna is an accomplished baker and chef, making great breakfasts. The rooms are always comfortable, clean, and quiet. The setting is beautiful, with a scenic drive through Lyme into Hanover. I am happy to recommend this establishment.

David Benedict

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme
The Lyme Inn
Six South St Hotel
Six South St Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hanover
Residence Inn Hanover Lebanon

Been to Breakfast on the Connecticut? Share your experiences!