“Beautiful & Relaxing”

Ranked #2 of 3 Lyme B&B and Inns
Cornish, NH
“Beautiful & Relaxing”
Reviewed 16 February 2010

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our one-night stay at this Inn. I found the hosts to be very friendly and helpful, and the room was lovely! I did find it odd that the tub was in the room itself, but didn't find it to be an issue at all. Our room overlooked the Connecticut, an added bonus! I also found breakfast to be positively delicious. I will certainly visit again!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eohwen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Beverly MA
Reviewed 4 January 2010

It was exactly as I anticipated, charmingly decorated for Christmas in a bucolic setting in Lyme NH directly on the river;  the Andersons are great people who run a comfortable Inn.  Rooms are spacious and warm (radiant heating and gas fireplaces); the jacuzzi tubs are passe but probably enjoyed if one excercised a lot; and the sink and shower are "ensuite" which we do not prefer. Mrs. Anderson makes an egg choice and griddle choice, always delicious. All in all a very good experience for a 2 night New Year's getaway. The restaurants chosen were good and within easy driving distances. Pets are allowed in one hotel room only (but we left ours with friends).

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeg17
Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Our son attends camp nearby and we have probably stayed at Breakfast on the Connecticut over a dozen times in the past few years. Donna and John are always friendly and welcoming. The rooms are the best part - overlooking the river and rural New England fields. It is Very Quiet there - a wonderful getaway - a great place to get a restful night's sleep. There are a number of nice restaurants nearby near Hanover, NH and central Vermont. Breakfasts feature homemade meals with fresh fruit and companionable conversation. Once in late June returning from an evening meal, we saw the most amazing sight - a field with the air full of fireflies. Maybe an acre was alit - brimming with little points of light. Stunning. There is a nice lawn and deck where you can enjoy the cool New England breezes. And you can stroll down the hill and kayak or canoe onto the river. Donna and John are very plugged in to their community and provide expert restaurant and local attraction references along with the latest restaurant trends. Our New England home away from home... Heartily recommended!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MatchatankDeb
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 June 2009

OK.... I read the reviews on various B&B's near Dartmouth for several weeks while planning my first trip back to the college in 25 years for my reunion. I didn't want to stay in the dorms, because I was coming from California and wanted a special experience. Also, it took me four years to study my way out of those old, smelly dorm cells. And I confirmed that they haven't changed much.

So, I came across all the old standards (the Hanover Inn, Norwich Inn, Trumbull House...), all with their own unique character, cost and style. Then further on in the list, I found Breakfast on the Connecticut, in nearby Lyme. I read the reviews -- most good, and one fairly critical. An older alum friend told me to give it a chance as he'd been there for a wedding and thought it was great. I did, and found it to be an amazing gem, hidden in the woods along the banks of the river.

It sits just off River Road, about 20 minutes from Hanover (12 miles about). Get good directions before you go because its nestled on its own 20 plus acre lot, among many other large country farms and estates. Off River Road, you drive down its long private road (400 yards), through its private fields and wooded area, to a large, modern Country Inn. (Photos 1-2).

The Inn keepers are a husband and wife (Donna and John Andersen). They're quiet, friendly people who know the area, and work to allow you your space and rest. John seemed to handle most of the up-keep and waiting, and Donna all the cooking and nuturing. Thank God. Because, the lady's a great breakfast cook.

The common areas were comfortable and clean, with views off the back dinning area and porch towards the grounds and river. (Photos 3-4). My room in the main house was roomy and clean, with a fine bath area in the room. (Photo 5-6).

The grounds were quiet, secluded, and immense. They cried out for me to take a Thoreauian walk -- which I did, as an escape from the reunion madness. On my 60 minute walk back to, then down River Road to the covered bridge and back, I found wood peckers, toads and dear, and waived at one neighbor. The rest of my journey, I had to myself.

You can't beat the location for its beauty. Hope this helps. Eric

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank EricTLosAngeles_CA
philadelphia pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 February 2008

My wife and I were looking for a beautiful New England getaway and we found one in Breakfast on the Connecticut. We were there during the height of the fall season and the views were spectacular!!!! The inn sits on top of a hill overlooking the Connecticut River and we sat for hours outside on the lawn chairs just enjoying the view and the peace and quiet.

The hosts were very nice and extremely attentive. Each day we would come back to a clean room/beds made. The breakfast was incredible with Belguim waffles, Breakfast Burritos, homemade breads, muffins, and fresh fruit EVERYDAY!!!! In the afternoon often the leftover breads or muffins were left out as snacks - Yum!

As for things to do the innkeepers gave us wonderful suggestions and we took advantage of the bikes and canoes they had available on the premise. Each night we relaxed in our room watching one of the movies from their free video library! The innkeepers provided us with soda, bottled water, and even a toothbrush when we realized we had forgotten one.

What else can I say - if you are looking for a wonderful place to stay and want to be treated like royalty Breakfast on the Connecticut is the place to go. We can't wait to return and thanks John and Donna for a memorable experience!!!!!!

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mmcshea001
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 13 December 2007

Where do I begin?! The purpose of our trip was to attend a wedding last summer...unfortunately we experienced tornado conditions the night before we were due to leave, allowing for no available flights to Manchester the next morning. I called the owner as soon as I got the news letting him know I'd only be able to fufill one night of the reservation instead of two. To which he nicely responded "Don't worry, we can talk about that when you get here." Of course, as soon as I arrived and was surrounded by other wedding guests he rudely told me, "There's nothing we can do." Off to a good start!

We thoroughly agree with the other comments on this site in tems of general mistreatment of guests. Signs everywhere saying "Don't Touch", a lot of undeserved attitude while serving breakfast, etc . It should be noted that one of the reasons the owners keep the keys on ridiculous huge wooden spoons is so that they can have access to guests' rooms whenever they see fit. On the hottest day of the summer, when we came back to our room, the AC had been shut off! My fiance was convinced other items of ours had been touched as well.

Most unfortunately, the groom had planned a small gathering post-reception for the inn guests in the "cabin" located on the inn property. Upon returning from the rehearsal dinner, the group found a note left for the groom in huge letters saying "There will be no party...bla bla bla." All of the guests were well above the legal drinking age and very respectable people. As no one would need to drive anywhere afterwards and the cabin was far enough away form the main building that it wouldn't be a disturbance to any of the other guests (although I think everyone there that weekend was with the wedding!) We couldn't fathom the reason for this ludicrous mandate, especially to a couple on their wedding night???

I also feel compelled to mention that when my friends convinced me to dispute the charge as the reason behind our no-show was an "act of god"... the owner had the gaul to lie to my credit card company saying I stayed both nights! Appalling!

Its really a shame because the inn is located in a beautiful natural setting. Its just too bad the owners are so rude and clearly dishonest. We will NEVER return.

Stayed August 2007
7 Thank ers5349
California
Reviewed 9 December 2007

We had an outstanding top to bottom experience at this extremely well run, clean and high quality Bed and Breakfast . The hosts are an articulate and organized couple who were most helpful, providing us with maps and points of interest recommendations. The breakfast is incredibly good -- gourmet level and made to order. The Inn is located on a beautiful piece of propoerty facing the Connecticut river. Suffice it to say that there is no false advertising on their website. Highly recommended -- we will return.

• Liked — LOCATION, FOOD, CLEANLINESS, HOSPITALITY
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Austinchester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme
The Lyme Inn
Hanover Inn Dartmouth
#1 of 2 in Hanover
Courtyard Hanover Lebanon
Element Hanover-Lebanon

Been to Breakfast on the Connecticut? Share your experiences!