“Great Family Vacation!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Madison
Edgartown, Massachusetts
“Great Family Vacation!!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We have gone to Purity Springs for vacation every summer for the last 5 years and we love it. It's a beautiful setting on a private lake with lots to do. There are kayaks, canoes and row boats to use whenever you want. They have plenty of activities scheduled every day like water skiing, archery, tye die t-shirts, plenty of trials for hiking and much more!! You can do as much or as little as you want. If I had to give any complaints it would be that the rooms are a little outdated and the food in the restaurant is just ok. But overall it's a really great place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank She b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Plainfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed at Purity Spring back in October for our Honeymoon. At that time we didn't have a great experience, and we had to cut our trip short due to Hurricane Sandy. After hearing our story, the manager contacted me to make arrangements for us to come back and finish our trip...I was so pleased to hear it! Although the first trip wasn't the best, I was more than willing to give it a second chance, and boy am I glad we did! We just did our "redo" in July of 2013 and spent a long weekend there, it was AMAZING! We parked when we got there and didn't get back into the car until we checked out--there was just so much to do! As soon as we arrived it was beautiful, so we jumped into kayaks and went to try out the waterskiing--SO MUCH FUN! The meals were absolutely delicious and plentiful, the facilities were so clean, our room was BEAUTIFUL, and most importantly the staff was extremely helpful and friendly, particularly Heather at the front desk--she made the entire weekend so memorable! We tried out the archery, some hiking, and a ton of kayaking and swimming--we were never bored! All in all, we had an absolutely amazing trip! We came home perfectly rested and rejuvenated--we will definitely be returning to Purity Spring next summer! (I was also told that one of the main problems we had on our last trip had been taken care of.) I think that is most important in showing the character of a place...problems will always come up, but when they are taken care of in the helpful and courteous manner that we encountered with Purity Spring, it makes the place seem that much better!!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the Inn are the best; cozy, comfortable, and perfect central location! And the beds are...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Last year, my Family visited Purity Springs Resort. My brother and I had a lot of fun on the iceberg in the lake. It's a huge, 30 foot blow up iceberg that you can climb and jump off into the water. We spent hours climbing and jumping! I love fishing so I fished a lot. They sell bait so you won't have to worry about that. The rooms are a separated large cabin. Each person gets a different little section. The room we stayed in was a little spooky but none the less, a clean, cozy room. Purity Spring's downfall was their food. I have to say, when you see it, it looks fancy and good, but it tastes bad.. Just bad. I'll be honest, it really wasn't what I expected. My family didn't like it and we all agree that if we were to go again in the future, we'd cook our own food instead of getting the food plan. Overall, it was a lot of fun and I would recommend it as a vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
West Babylon, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Family of 19 “vacation / 50th wedding anniversary”. My folks, two sister’s and Brother’s families stay in the Brookside the Island View condo; they a bit out dated and run down for my taste, need updating! My wife, daughter and I stayed in the Inn and the room was much nicer than the condos (glad I made that choice).
The lake was nice, canoes & kayaks were always available and the fishing was good. Treat yourself to a trip to Diana’s Baths!
The FOOD… All I kept hearing and reading is how awesome the food is, well I have to disagree. Breakfast and lunch were ok, pretty run of the mill stuff there “Breakfast cook out was fun” but dinner was average at best, on couple of occasions my food was under cooked and cold, nothing blew me away.
The staff was super friendly, always smiling and greeting you, unfortunately very under trained in the dining room. Empty plates left on tables, empty drink glasses not re-filled, confusion with the billing process. One night we sat in the dining room for two hours after we were finished eating because the waitress couldn't figure out how to bill us! Two hours!!! Another night they forgot to bring out my parents anniversary cake, when they realized they forgot they delivered it to the condo with a complementary bottle of champagne, but sorry… too late… unacceptable. Overall Purity Springs was nice “a bit over priced in my opinion” but nice. Regardless of that I don’t think I’ll be staying here again. I loved NH and will definitely visit the state again, but I think I’ll fine other accommodations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mikkeyo
PuritySpring, Owner at Purity Spring Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Happy 50th Anniversary to your parents! I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of all the recreation options at Purity Spring during your stay, especially the boats on the lake, and the archery range. The beauty of Diana's Baths are definitely worth the trip!
I have sent your specific comments regarding the food quality on to the chef, as well as the comments regarding lack of training of the dining room staff to the dining room manager. These will be addressed immediately and we have already started extra training with the dining room staff in order to improve our guest's experience. I can't apologize enough for the anniversary cake not being brought out at the end of your dinner. There was some confusion regarding the name on the cake vs. the name on the dinner reservations - I'm not excusing the error, there should have been better communication when the cake order was taken, again, I apologize.
Guest rooms and common areas are continuously updated as time permits, and the condos are next on the list to be updated.
Your comments and feedback are extremely important to us and I appreciate you taking the time to write this review, so thank you again.
Albany, NY
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My family and I just returned from a weekend-long family reunion at Purity Spring. This resort was a perfect choice for our very large family converging from many varied locations. We hiked trails, swam in the lake, played ping pong, snoozed on the porch while reading, rode out on canoes, fell out of kayaks (and laughed), talked around a bonfire, watched small tykes on the beach, and ate way too much great food. We were very well taken care of by the proprietors and staff who truly bent over backwards with sincere smiles and cheerful attitudes to accommodate throngs of hungry, tired families exhausted by the excitement and activities of the weekend.

My family arrived for check in as dinner was ending, but our front-desk hostess called ahead to the dining room to make sure the restaurant waited for us stragglers to mosey over. Indeed, the staff waited so patiently for us to make our way to the buffet, while we were being greeted by dozens of extended family members who already had finished their dinners, although clearly dinner time was over. Every small request I made to a server over the weekend was met with enthusiasm and a positive attitude, even when the dining room was packed. At Saturday's dinner a waiter was serving various hot, delicious appetizers to tables as a gracious courtesy, even before orders were taken. They must know that folks who arrive hungry are cranky. Indeed these appetizers were much appreciated by families. Kids who couldn't wait for dinner helped themselves to make-your-own ice cream sundaes, and no adult minded one bit.

Now about food. Abundant, fresh and satisfying. Two soup choices at lunch and dinner. Very popular salad bar. Help yourself desserts. I understand the restaurant made the carrot cake used for our birthday celebration, and I swear, it was the best carrot cake I've ever had. I loved the veggie paninis, omelets, salmon and fried ravioli.

My only criticism (and really very minor given the many wonderful attributes of the inn) was that my room smelled dank, however I understand from prior TA reviews that some rooms are being updated, so hopefully this will be remedied.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and have more windows and even better scenic views.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Judging by the reviews, people like this quirky little place, so we tried it. We found it very odd, disjointed, and dated. The resort is comprised of several buildings scattered around the property. We were given a room in an old dilapidated ski lodge down the road from the main resort. It was a sad, run-down place, but the room was clean. The people were nice and seemed happy to work there. But I just didn't "get" the place. It was just odd. The restaurant had poor service. If I hadn't paid for the B&B package, I would have left to find breakfast elsewhere. I just can't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank SSISteve
PuritySpring, Owner at Purity Spring Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us this past weekend. It was nice to hear that you found the room to be clean and comfortable, and the staff to be friendly and happy to be working here.
The Hoyt family has been welcoming guests to Purity Spring Resort for over 100 years and we are constantly renovating and updating our rooms and facilities. Purity Spring Resort rooms are “scattered” over 1,000 acres - all within walking distance of at least one of the four beaches on Purity Lake, Traditions dining room and pub, the indoor pool and all of the outdoor recreational activities available with your stay. We offer a variety of lodging options: lakeside cottages, luxury two-room suites, condominiums, and slope side standard and luxury rooms at the King Pine lodge.
Having so many different lodging options allows us to accommodate folks with the room type and location within the resort that best fits their needs. Purity Spring Resort is unique and has many options that you don’t find in hotels, or even most resorts. Thank you again for your review.
If there is anything you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly at owner@purityspring.com.
Steven Hoyt,
Owner in addition to General Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Purity Spring Resort is a family owned Inn, Ski area, campground, summer camp and so on. The main Inn is located on Purity Lake. The Inn has many options for room accommodations from modest to quite nice with views of the lake and surrounding mountains. There are even multi room accommodations for families. We loved staying in the "Mill" which houses the indoor pool. Our room was beside the dam with a small waterfall. We loved opening the windows and listening to the water flow over the dam. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The beds were extremely comfortable. We believe the mattresses were new. We slept great! It also helped that we were participating in one of their theme weekends, Ballroom Dance. Very active, lots of fun, fantastic lessons by patient, creative instructors. Topped by a formal dance Saturday night with a yummy buffet dinner. The music is by a DJ with a wonderful sound system. All the music is geared to dance. The food is plentiful, fresh and homemade. We never went away hungry!! The staff seems to bend over backward to make your stay memorable. We are looking forward to our next dance weekend at Purity Spring!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Mill or Lakeside.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
PuritySpring, Owner at Purity Spring Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
It’s always wonderful to hear that our guests enjoyed their time with us. Ballroom Dance weekends are one of the favorite theme weekends that we offer here at Purity Spring Resort.
Currently, and as time permits, we are continuing to upgrade the décor in many of our Resort guest rooms. Upgrades include Cuddledown duvets, new curtains and blinds, and in most cases, fresh new paint colors.
Thank you for your incredible review and we look forward to sharing the room upgrades with you upon your next visit.
Steven Hoyt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
White Mountain Hotel and Resort
Merrill Farm Inn
Merrill Farm Inn
#10 of 30 in Conway

Been to Purity Spring Resort? Share your experiences!