“Purity Spring Resort is a modern-day Kellermans...in tye-dye.”

Purity Spring Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have just come from a weekend at another New England resort, which compelled me to come on to Trip Advisor and sing the praises of good 'ol Purity Spring. My extended family has been vacationing here for years, and we always have a wonderful, spirited, relaxing time, where we re-connect and unplug for a week (you don't need to unplug, incidentally, there is Wi-Fi everywhere, though cell service is scarce). In short, Purity is run by a family for families. They are accommodating when they can be, and patient (my nephew tried to get up on water skis eight times before he succeeded! There was no line behind him; if there was, he would have been told to try again at the end of the line, after about four attempts). The staff is positive, friendly and helpful (particularly the high school and college-age staff... these kids work HARD and make it look like fun). There are lots of scheduled outdoor activities, and you can grab a kayak, canoe or fishing pole when the mood strikes. The other guests are families from all over the country; the overall mood is very friendly.
Some of the reviews indicate that Purity is different, and the accommodations perhaps not up to snuff... it is what it is. Everything is very clean and well-run. It is a comfortable, affordable family vacation that provides many activities in a laid-back and welcoming family atmosphere. The restaurant has room for improvement; it's true. The dinner can be very good... other times it's a swing and a miss. They have improved over the years by simplifying their menu, streamlining the reservation process, and making it more flexible and family friendly. Aside from the sometimes slowness of the kitchen, breakfast is generally very good.
The activities include water skiing, rock climbing, hiking, biking, sailing, canoeing, kayaking, archery and more. At night, they have happy various happy hours, karaoke night, trivia night, etc. There are teen outings at various times. They is a super fun day-long canoe river trip on Thursdays, and the outdoor lobster bake on Thursday nights is a fun, social and relaxing.

In short, Purity is like home away from home... except you don't do any of the cooking or cleaning! It's a great way to spend a vacation and reconnect as a family, with other families, hosted by a family. Try it once, you'll keep coming back!

Room Tip: King Pine Lodge is about a mile from the main beach and dining hall. It does, however, have a huge...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane S

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We just stayed at Purity Springs from Wednesday thru Saturday and had a very relaxing trip. The front desk staff was wonderful and helpful anytime we stopping in with questions or looking for equipment. We stayed in two condos in Mountainside Condos (219 & 220), and while it was I think the furthest away from the main area, it was perfect and quiet for us, and all still in walkable distance. Two days were full of kayking, canoeing, fishing, rowboats, tennis, swimming, hiking, and even shuffleboard. Since we were there toward the end of the week, we got to enjoy the lobster cookout and then the smorgasbord. The food was very good - only one night, the ribs were a bit overdone. Meal plan for breakfast and dinner was a good value for us. It was really nice to have access to all the boats on the lake at any hour - even for taking my son fishing at 6:30 a.m. Every person on the staff that we had contact with was friendly and willing to help (will have to say that Heather at the front desk won the prize!). There are so many "regulars" at we heard come back year after year, and we can see why. Some parts of the condos could be updated (some kitchen cabinets and A/C), but they are nicely furnished and true to the pictures on the website. We did get wifi in the condos, so that was nice for emergencies. I would definitely recommend this as we had a wonderful time (but can't comment on the other housing options). Some people might question the price, but we were ok with it since all the equipment we used we did not have to pay additional fees to rent (and boat fees for all we used for 6 people would have been expensive elsewhere probably). Thanks to everyone there!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PhotoMomma
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our family (13 people ages 10-80 ) just spent a delightful week at Purity Springs.
It is a perfect spot to enjoy its outdoor actiivites, even just lounging by the lake and enjoying the beautiful surroundings. Rooms were basic but comfortable, food was great tasting and generous, and the staff amazingly considerate/concerned about the welfare of their guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vejayok
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We have gone to Purity Springs for vacation every summer for the last 5 years and we love it. It's a beautiful setting on a private lake with lots to do. There are kayaks, canoes and row boats to use whenever you want. They have plenty of activities scheduled every day like water skiing, archery, tye die t-shirts, plenty of trials for hiking and much more!! You can do as much or as little as you want. If I had to give any complaints it would be that the rooms are a little outdated and the food in the restaurant is just ok. But overall it's a really great place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank She b
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed at Purity Spring back in October for our Honeymoon. At that time we didn't have a great experience, and we had to cut our trip short due to Hurricane Sandy. After hearing our story, the manager contacted me to make arrangements for us to come back and finish our trip...I was so pleased to hear it! Although the first trip wasn't the best, I was more than willing to give it a second chance, and boy am I glad we did! We just did our "redo" in July of 2013 and spent a long weekend there, it was AMAZING! We parked when we got there and didn't get back into the car until we checked out--there was just so much to do! As soon as we arrived it was beautiful, so we jumped into kayaks and went to try out the waterskiing--SO MUCH FUN! The meals were absolutely delicious and plentiful, the facilities were so clean, our room was BEAUTIFUL, and most importantly the staff was extremely helpful and friendly, particularly Heather at the front desk--she made the entire weekend so memorable! We tried out the archery, some hiking, and a ton of kayaking and swimming--we were never bored! All in all, we had an absolutely amazing trip! We came home perfectly rested and rejuvenated--we will definitely be returning to Purity Spring next summer! (I was also told that one of the main problems we had on our last trip had been taken care of.) I think that is most important in showing the character of a place...problems will always come up, but when they are taken care of in the helpful and courteous manner that we encountered with Purity Spring, it makes the place seem that much better!!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the Inn are the best; cozy, comfortable, and perfect central location! And the beds are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Last year, my Family visited Purity Springs Resort. My brother and I had a lot of fun on the iceberg in the lake. It's a huge, 30 foot blow up iceberg that you can climb and jump off into the water. We spent hours climbing and jumping! I love fishing so I fished a lot. They sell bait so you won't have to worry about that. The rooms are a separated large cabin. Each person gets a different little section. The room we stayed in was a little spooky but none the less, a clean, cozy room. Purity Spring's downfall was their food. I have to say, when you see it, it looks fancy and good, but it tastes bad.. Just bad. I'll be honest, it really wasn't what I expected. My family didn't like it and we all agree that if we were to go again in the future, we'd cook our own food instead of getting the food plan. Overall, it was a lot of fun and I would recommend it as a vacation.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Family of 19 “vacation / 50th wedding anniversary”. My folks, two sister’s and Brother’s families stay in the Brookside the Island View condo; they a bit out dated and run down for my taste, need updating! My wife, daughter and I stayed in the Inn and the room was much nicer than the condos (glad I made that choice).
The lake was nice, canoes & kayaks were always available and the fishing was good. Treat yourself to a trip to Diana’s Baths!
The FOOD… All I kept hearing and reading is how awesome the food is, well I have to disagree. Breakfast and lunch were ok, pretty run of the mill stuff there “Breakfast cook out was fun” but dinner was average at best, on couple of occasions my food was under cooked and cold, nothing blew me away.
The staff was super friendly, always smiling and greeting you, unfortunately very under trained in the dining room. Empty plates left on tables, empty drink glasses not re-filled, confusion with the billing process. One night we sat in the dining room for two hours after we were finished eating because the waitress couldn't figure out how to bill us! Two hours!!! Another night they forgot to bring out my parents anniversary cake, when they realized they forgot they delivered it to the condo with a complementary bottle of champagne, but sorry… too late… unacceptable. Overall Purity Springs was nice “a bit over priced in my opinion” but nice. Regardless of that I don’t think I’ll be staying here again. I loved NH and will definitely visit the state again, but I think I’ll fine other accommodations.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mikkeyo
PuritySpring, Owner at Purity Spring Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Happy 50th Anniversary to your parents! I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of all the recreation options at Purity Spring during your stay, especially the boats on the lake, and the archery range. The beauty of Diana's Baths are definitely worth the trip!
I have sent your specific comments regarding the food quality on to the chef, as well as the comments regarding lack of training of the dining room staff to the dining room manager. These will be addressed immediately and we have already started extra training with the dining room staff in order to improve our guest's experience. I can't apologize enough for the anniversary cake not being brought out at the end of your dinner. There was some confusion regarding the name on the cake vs. the name on the dinner reservations - I'm not excusing the error, there should have been better communication when the cake order was taken, again, I apologize.
Guest rooms and common areas are continuously updated as time permits, and the condos are next on the list to be updated.
Your comments and feedback are extremely important to us and I appreciate you taking the time to write this review, so thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett
25 mi away
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to Purity Spring Resort? Share your experiences!