“Pleasantly pleased”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 18 July 2014

From the other reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about staying here. I had no problems with this hotel. We had stopped at the NH Welcome Center and picked up a hotel coupon book. Since there was a big motorcycle rally going on at the time, hotel space was limited. We called from the Welcome Center to see if there was space. They didn't take a reservation, just said to come within the hour. No problems at check in & accepted the coupon without questions. The room was large & clean, although it was an odd layout. The lighting was a little dim. The elevator was slow. The outside of the building looked like it may have been an old factory or something. The breakfast was the normal fare. Wi-fi worked well. It is fine for a cheap hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patty G

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This place is gross. Its crawling with filth. As other reviews state, the furnishings are from over 20 years ago. Ive lived in Manchester for a long time. The cops are always there. Its a haven for backpage.com girls and other prostitutes.

The last time I stayed there, the sheets had a large stain in the middle, a needle was found behind the bed when the sheets were changed.

If you are looking for a cheap hotel don't stay here. They should pay you to sleep in this dump.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Ringmassa
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night after a concert. Shortly after we arrived back to the hotel after the concert and were almost asleep around midnight, the fire alarm went off. It was a good 30 min before we could go back to our room. Again, we were almost asleep around 1am and what do you know, another fire alarm. Another 30 minutes. Well, 2am rolls around and another fire alarm. We decided we weren't going to get any sleep, had a 2 hour drive home, I had to be to work at 730 that morning, so we left, in a snow storm I might add. When we called the next day to try to get our money back, I was laughed at by the manager. Luckily Expedia refunded me. I'm addition, this hotel smells like stale cigarettes and houses a bunch of rif raf, which is why we had immature idiots pulling fire alarms.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Kristing36
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

This was the worst place I have ever stayed! I was supposed to get a nonsmoking room. I didn't. The sheets were dirty. There was no shower head. I got a non smoking room the next night. The lock on the door was broken and the shower was so filthy I would not use it. There are so many more horrible things I could say about this place. Do not go here!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nora S
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The dirtiest motel we have have ever seen. The whole place reeked like cigarettes. The furnishings are from 30 years ago and that's the last time they were probably cleaned. The parking lot has sketchy people hanging out in it so don't leave valuables in your car. Just don't stay here -- promise me. It is so dirty and not worth the $65 - $75 they will charge you per night. Go elsewhere. Really -- trust me on this.

Room Tip: I assume all of the rooms are as filthy as ours was.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Embrace_Life_Now
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This Econo Lodge is the worst I've ever stayed at. It is located in an old shoe mill and it is hard to see from the street (which means that your car isn't safe in the parking lot). I stayed one night and my room was disgusting. It smelled like people had vomited on the carpet and it had never been cleaned. It also smelled like cigarettes even though it was a non-smoking room. In order to be in the room I had to keep the window open for fresh air because the smell was so bad. The window screen was ripped so bugs and bees could come in, but that was better than smelling vomit.

The room had a 1970's filthy light dangling from the ceiling. The lamp shade was covered in dirt and dust and there was no light switch (that I could find) to turn the light on with. The room was so small that the bed was wedged in a corner so you had about 2 feet to access it from the side. The bed spread looked as though it hadn't been laundered in years. In fact, nothing in the room looked clean so I took a towel and washed down all the surfaces. I was afraid to touch anything in the room because it was so dirty. I laid towels down on the table to put my things on. I didn't walk on the carpet in my sock feet -- only in my shoes because the rug smelled so bad. When I went to take a shower I noticed that there was pubic hair in the tub -- ugh! Also, the shower head was about 1 inch in diameter so I got pelted with a thin hard stream of water. For $10 they could upgrade the shower head so people can take a normal shower!.

Even though I was exhausted, I had a horrible night's sleep. I could hear noise from the street and noise from people in other rooms, including the sound of someone throwing up in the room next to mine. The next morning I couldn't wait to get out of there. The free "breakfast" they offer consisted of store-brand English muffins that were left out uncovered so anyone could touch them. There were also no-name brand packaged coffee cakes and juice from a machine. There was coffee but there were no cups.

The men working at the desk were not helpful and one kept calling me "honey" and "dear". After I formally complained to the hotel chain about my stay I got a letter from this Econo Lodge denying that my room was dirty and claiming the rugs had just been cleaned. I think they are in denial. Econo Lodge is owned by Choice Hotels -- do the world a favor and let Choice Hotels know just how bad this place is if you have a bad experience here. I don't know how this motel stays in business. For about $15 more you can stay at much better hotels within 1-2 miles of this place.

As a side note, after staying at this motel I got a stomach virus that lasted almost 2 weeks. I assume I got it from touching something filthy at the motel but can't prove it. Spend the extra money -- please don't stay at this Econo Lodge. You will regret it just like I did.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - period!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank CleverCat
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed in this place while visiting Manchester. The room we were in on the ground floor was supposedly a non-smoking room. In the middle of the night we could smell cigarettes, probably from neighboring rooms. Also the sheets had cigarette burns and the toilette seat had a cigarette burn (pretty disgusting).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family